Storage Solutions SSD : budget 5-6k

damn

Adept
My apologies in advance if this forum is only for full rigs.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a SSD and my budget is 5k-6k. I can push up to 8 if I the product is worth it. I would prefer a 240/256 gb drive but can absolutely settle for a 128GB drive if the performance difference is too large. I have no brand preferences, good ASS reputation of the distributor is a plus. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:
The only decent 256GB drive for ~9k is the Plextor M5S. If you're firm about your budget, stick to the 120GB Samsung 840 Evo.

@damn @boogeyman
How is the performance of the EVO 120GB drive? Is there any other drive in the 5k range that is better for typical home usage scenario?
I have a 3 yr old dell vostro and I want to pep up its performance by adding a SSD. Should allow me to continue with my laptop for 3 more yrs since SSD is supposed to bring in a massive upgrade in response time.

My usage is regular browsing. Watching movies and occasional torrent downloads. I have 8GB RAM.

I currently have a WD2500BEKT 7200RPM drive (9.5mm). Did the Samsung retail package have a converter for 7mm to 9.5mm.

Looking @ how the prices are does it make sense to get a 120GB or wait till end of year and pick up a newer gen 240GB when the prices dip to say ~$120 during the sale period. (I can get it from USA via a relative)

@boogeyman - How was prime service? Packing, delivery?

Last edited:
How about this?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/INTEL-SSD-52...mory_Cards_Pen_Drives_HDD&hash=item27e6d5f9a9

A lot of these OEM drives on ebay go for low amounts like these and if you check the ISN number (like the one above) in the Intel Support site, they show warranty also. Question is, would Intel honor it? Does anyone here have experience about using and rma'ing these drives?

EDIT: These 520 OEM drives are slightly slower than the 840 Evo. But anyone looking for awesome deals, check out these 840 Evo thrashing drives that are a lot cheaper.

SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB - 4.6k - http://www.primeabgb.com/sandisk-ultra-plus-128gb-ssd-sdssdhp-128g-g25.html
SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB - 7.9k (offer imo) - http://www.primeabgb.com/sandisk-ultra-plus-256gb-ssd-sdssdhp-256g-g25.html

Last edited:
Used but most of them are barely used, even then look at the price. 180gb Intel 520 vs 120gb Evo and the Intel is only slightly slower, furthermore the Intel drives have 5 years warranty (vs 3 years Samsung) so theres a good chance that they have even longer warranty than a new Samsung drive even though they are used.

Lastly, in that price range the two Sandisks I've posted above are both faster than the Evos, they almost compete with the 840 Pro.

Last edited:
It is awesome, even comes with very easy to use OS drive migrate software. Given the numbers I see in benchmarks and the price point that it is in, I feel it is very obvious choice now.
Only downside is that it does not come with a bracket out of the box.

@damn @boogeyman
How is the performance of the EVO 120GB drive? Is there any other drive in the 5k range that is better for typical home usage scenario?
I have a 3 yr old dell vostro and I want to pep up its performance by adding a SSD. Should allow me to continue with my laptop for 3 more yrs since SSD is supposed to bring in a massive upgrade in response time.

My usage is regular browsing. Watching movies and occasional torrent downloads. I have 8GB RAM.

I currently have a WD2500BEKT 7200RPM drive (9.5mm). Did the Samsung retail package have a converter for 7mm to 9.5mm.

Looking @ how the prices are does it make sense to get a 120GB or wait till end of year and pick up a newer gen 240GB when the prices dip to say ~$120 during the sale period. (I can get it from USA via a relative)

@boogeyman - How was prime service? Packing, delivery?

It was awesome. Received it the next day. No shipping charges. It could be due to the fact that I'm in Mumbai and so is Prime. The Samsung box itself has foam surrounding the drive so no real need for additional packing but there was still a good thick layer of bubble wrap in prime's packing.

Regarding the performance, I don't see much difference in load/boot times but the main difference is in the file access times, especially office documents.

I don't see much difference in load/boot times but the main difference is in the file access times, especially office documents.

That's strange considering -
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-just-how-fast-are-they/2902

From the above article -
Measurement_________________SSD___HDD
Main-path boot time (sec)-------9.1____24.1
Total boot time (sec)--------------30.3___65.7

That’s a 62% improvement in the time it takes for the system to get to the Windows desktop and a 54% improvement in the total boot time, which includes drivers and processes that are loaded with low-priority I/O. (The latter value includes third-party programs that are configured to run at startup.)

OEM drives need not come with 5 years warranty. Would suggest to have that checked.

I think the Samsung 840 is the best bang for the money.

Actually considering the lower lifespan of TLC on the 840, the Marvell controller based SSDs with regular MLC look to be a better value now.

Back