Storage Solutions SSD Scam

Hi All,

I was looking at buying a SSD, I was looking at a option of buying a used one. I wanted to try in OLX, I happen to call a fellow, he said it was pulled out from a laptop.
http://www.olx.in/item/256gb-samsung-ssd-evo-model-new-pulled-out-ID13dVYp.html#7f9fc3bd45

Do companies honour warranty on such SSD's ?
About the Scam, from what I heard from my friends/clients in Bangalore, most of the IT support guys who source a laptop remove the SSD and sell it in the market for their personal gains.

Warranty wont be provided by the manufacturer directly for these devices. The laptop manufacturers will be the one responsible to give the warranty . From experience , I bought a lenovo laptop recently and replaced the SSHD[WD BLACK] with a SSD , on asking lenovo i was informed that I would be provided the warranty on SSHD as long as my laptop is under warranty[even when its pulled and doesnt have any physical damage] and in my case WD has nothing to do it . Its the same reason that at times OEM SSHD drives dont get driver support . I hope this helps.

To claim warranty one would need to show proof of purchase. That is not possible as it is pulled out of a laptop and that laptop was sold as a whole.

i'm currently using a samsung ssd that was pulled off a laptop. i bought mine off ebay though. it's been running fine for i think 6+ months now.
do use a drive monitoring tool to check it's health. you'll also be able to see how many times it was used and for how long etc.

i'm currently using a samsung ssd that was pulled off a laptop. i bought mine off ebay though. it's been running fine for i think 6+ months now.
do use a drive monitoring tool to check it's health. you'll also be able to see how many times it was used and for how long etc.
How do I do that ?

I have a intel ssd bought through ebay from similar sources.Upon checking with the serial number,it shows the drive is under warranty for another year.

Depends on how it was sold. With OEM stuff, the agreement is that a certain % will be replaced and rest will be used refurbished. For example, when you go with a defective laptop, all components - HDDs, CPU, etc wont be defective, even though the motherboard is. These are reused as a parts bin (after undergoing stringent tests) when any laptop comes up for warranty issue. The main point is that irrespective of the HDD or memory, etc, the warranty is on the whole.

Back