Storage Solutions SSD Suggestion for Old Inspiron 1525

Guys Another helping hand needed.
My father has this laptop and thinking of upgrading the SSD on it.

Dell Inspiron 1525 2009 model

CPU - C2D T6400
Ram - 4GB DDR2SDRAM
Current HDD - 160GB SATA

Running Vista. Going to get the Win 7 64bit Upgrade option.
Thought of upgrading the HDD to SSD for ease of use and speed.
He uses this laptop for Ms Office, Tally and some ERP softwares.
Occasionally uses this for entertainment limited to videos.

I am concerned with :
1) Sizing problems on the laptop.
2) Impact of usage of SSD over HDD with this old laptop
3) Will it increase the heat threshold.

Suggest me a suitable model, size limited to 128gb Max. Prefer anything less too. With good aftersales/Warranty.
Budget restricted to 7k might increase it a little if preferred.Anything less is wonderful.

I am concerned with :
1) Sizing problems on the laptop.
I have seen OCZ , Intel and Crucial 2.5 inch SSDs, they all look identical in size to 2.5 inch hard drives found in laptops. Shouldn't be any issue.
2) Impact of usage of SSD over HDD with this old laptop
Not sure what you mean by impact, but performance should drastically improve. Even though (I think) your laptop supports only SATA 2 3Gbps instead of latest SSD's SATA 3 6 Gbps, performance improvement would still be great.
3) Will it increase the heat threshold.
Heat generated will decrease. Typically, SSDs use 3 watt maximum instead of 6-10 watts of HDDs. All power use converts into heat (small amount into sound and light, but can be ignored).
Suggest me a suitable model, size limited to 128gb Max. Prefer anything less too. With good aftersales/Warranty.
Budget restricted to 7k might increase it a little if preferred.Anything less is wonderful.
Under 7k, I don't think you can find latest generation SSDs for 128 GB. Older generation ones have reliability issues, in addition to lower performance. You can get Crucial m4 128 GB, and OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB, both between 8-9 k.

^@amitkher Finally thanks.

Well aware of the issues abound due to SATA3. Some increase in performance is welcome.
Any options for a lesser capacity SSD.

What should I check for in new SSD models, in case I come across a better deal abroad I can get them.

^@amitkher Finally thanks.

Well aware of the issues abound due to SATA3. Some increase in performance is welcome.
Any options for a lesser capacity SSD.

What should I check for in new SSD models, in case I come across a better deal abroad I can get them.
Check the performance benchmarks on Anandtech, check that it supports TRIM. Google for the SSD model number and watch out for premature failure horror stories. Check Newegg, Amazon etc reviews. Don't buy within 2 months of release of a new model.

Remember while doing review research , people are more likely to write a review when they have a negative experience.

Samsung and Intel SSDs are in general better but more expensive.

Back