Storage Solutions SSD writes 10GB data on each boot

Live4speed

Disciple
As the title suggests My Samsung Evo 850 120Gb ssd (OS drive) writes 10GB data on each boot. In two months it has written almost 900GB data. I only use it for browsing n YouTube. No online games. I've optimized ssd according to many ssd optimization guides available on Internet. Help me out guys i dont want my ssd to die in a year or two.

What data are you looking at to arrive at this conclusion that 10gb data is being written every boot?

Could it be Win10 "fast startup" feature which is actually writing data during shutdown and you have like 16 gb RAM with many apps open during shutdown?

Try disabling fast start?

According to magician i have some how managed to write 12+TB of data on my 120GB 840 samsung SSD. I highly doubt that is correct.

Capture.JPG

Mine's just over 6 months old and showing over 1.8 TB written! :D And I don't use my PC much, mostly only during the weekends that too mostly web browsing. Occasional OS re-installs (Linux distros) but that should not even approach this number.

Searching online seems a lot of people reporting this "issue" but I came across this blog: http://www.jdgleaver.co.uk/blog/2014/05/23/samsung_ssds_reading_total_bytes_written_under_linux.html

Now it seems (my interpretation) Samsung is reporting the total "block" size written - and similar to file system "sector size" (for example if the block/sector is 4 KB) then even if you write 1 single byte it will count as over 4000 bytes written.

Maybe that is the reason for such inflated numbers and it could be real. But according to sites like Anandtech/reddit it seems even if you write TBs per day your SSD should last many many years.

Fast boot feature of windows.
It's all depending on how much RAM your system has .
If you have 16gb ram,it would write 16gb to ssd at each and every time.and about optimisation,I suggest using just manufacturer utility to optimise the ssd.

If you have 16gb ram,it would write 16gb to ssd at each and every time.

I'm sure it won't :D probably only what amount of RAM is in use, that too there will be efforts to minise there too.[DOUBLEPOST=1470112278][/DOUBLEPOST]But yeah @Live4speed it would be nice to see what difference in per-boot write amount shows up with fast-boot enabled vs. disabled, try that and post back here?

I have 16GB RAM in my VAIO, Samsung EVO 500GB, about 4TB written till now, maybe 6 months?

Oh, and I max out the RAM and never shut it down. Sleep, not hibernate.

I'm sure it won't :D probably only what amount of RAM is in use, that too there will be efforts to minise there too.[DOUBLEPOST=1470112278][/DOUBLEPOST]But yeah @Live4speed it would be nice to see what difference in per-boot write amount shows up with fast-boot enabled vs. disabled, try that and post back here?
I don't know what the heck is Fastboot. I don't think Windows 7 have such feature. My PC boots in 17 seconds. Btw I've 8GB ram in my PC.

Back