Static Vs Auto IP

Dear Members,
Pleas help me to implement Wired Lan of 12 Computers with Internet Connection.
Which is better option assigning Static IP or Auto IP to each computers, which is better for fast access to server

Note
internet connection is BSNL broadband with TPlink 8968 Modem cum Router

Last edited:
I would need some more info. is this a office setup with Windows file server and AD? If yes, then you need to point DNS to AD server, which should be static. The computers can be dynamic.[DOUBLEPOST=1482405474][/DOUBLEPOST]Else, you can use Google DNS

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Last edited:
I would need some more info. is this a office setup with Windows file server and AD? If yes, then you need to point DNS to AD server, which should be static. The computers can be dynamic.[DOUBLEPOST=1482405474][/DOUBLEPOST]Else, you can use Google DNS

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
It is file server.
What is AD?

It is file server.
What is AD?
AD = Active Directory.

Some thoughts on your problem. I am not a pro sysadmin but have dabbled in it off and on. (I am from the UNIX world though).

All servers (machines that will be accessed by others) must have static IP addresses. Regular user machines can have either static or auto. The auto assignment easy for the admin (one line in your DHCP config). Users, however, generally prefer static. Useful when you want to connect to your computer remotely. A happy compromise is a long DHCP lease (1 year in my workplace).

IP assignment method has no bearing on the access speed.

Last edited:
Back