Steam - Region and Gift Cards question

letmein

Skilled
I'm out of India for a couple of months. Now I managed to get admin access on my work laptop :p and installed Steam. I want to purchase the Age of Empires II pack ($40) to kill time on the weekends.

Unfortunately, Steam is auto-detecting my country and not letting me change to India. It says if you're travelling you need to wait until you get back to your home country before you can change - and I don't want to wait that long, as the entire point of the purchase is to play while I'm travelling.

I can't pay via Paypal (it says your country details don't match) or via Credit Card (as I'm not able to enter my Indian billing address).

Is there any way around this? If I start a WTB thread in the marketplace, and someone sells me a Steam Gift Card, can I add that to my account and purchase with no issues?

Thanks.

See if this workaround helps -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregvo...s-on-steam-from-another-country/#739ae0866362

You will have to try and find out the correct "country code" for India (its prolly 'IN')

Other solution I can think of is have a friend GIFT you the game and you can compensate them accordingly. If I were you, this is the option I would go for.

Just keep one thing in mind - some games are REGION RESTRICTED. If you buy such a game (or receive one as a GIFT) and then travel to another region where the game is not currently supported, you will be unable to play it while outside the allowed region.

Just keep in mind if you try the above options you do so at your own risk...

Back