Audio Stereo / 2.1 Speakers + Soundcard /USB DAC for Laptop - Budget 15k

Nolasco

Disciple
Hey everyone!

So I'm planning on gifting my cousin a set of speakers for his wedding. He will be running these mainly
off his laptop and phone. Budget of 15K. I have an Edifier C3 + Xonar DG combo at home which he likes
however the Edifier really comes into its own only with a Soundcard (Major difference even from the ALC889
onboard audio I have).

Now since he will be running these off his laptop, I was considering getting him Edifier S530 along
with a soundcard or USB DAC+AMP like one of the Fiio models as this will come in handy when using
the phone too. I have heard the Asus U3 and it doesn't compare to the Xonar DG so the other option
I was looking at is the U7 however that can only be used with the laptop.

The other issue is that chances of finding availability for either C3 or S530 is unlikely. What would you
guys suggest within 15k? Getting only speakers like the Swan 1080-IV and running off the laptop wouldnt
sound as good I believe and they have only one input and no remote - I am sure he will prefer the convenience
of a remote and multiple inputs and doesnt want anything too big as once a year, he will probably take
the set to Goa for a month.

Suggestions please! :)

Ok so I have ordered the Xonar U7 for the laptop. Still looking for speakers as neither the Edifier C3 nor S530 are available.
The guy has only DA5000 Pro and not sure how good these would be for music. Any suggestions? Budget is approx 10-11k for the speakers.

Bump! Considering between Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks iii for 9k and M Audio Studiophile av40 for 11.5. Don't think anything else worth it in this range. No one has any suggestions?

Soundcard / DAC etc should not make that much of a difference in sound quality as an amplifier (the greater undistorted RMS power the better) and a speaker (most important and most non linear component in sound reproduction) will.
In my opinion, majority of the money should be spent on speakers. (100)
About a half of that on amplifier. (50)
And about half of this on sound card / player etc. (25)

I find it funny that you are willing to spend 11.5K on soundcard, but only 9K on the amplifier + speaker system!!!
Perhaps you have been misled by marketing?

I was actually looking at active speakers, not passive with an amplifier. So I spent 5k on the soundcard and willing to spend another 10k on speakers. There don't seem to be any decent speakers in this price range. None of the edifiers are available in the market. Harmon Kardon Sound sticks iii are available for 9k so thinking I'll probably go for them.

Back