CPU/Mobo Strange overheating issue

Hi,

I am running a Phenom II X4 840 processor on Biostar motherboard. Here are the details:
CPU temp: 70 degree c(sometimes 100 also when it shuts down)
System temp: 36 degree c

CPU fan: 1200 RPM

I thought that the stock HSF is faulty and that's why I got a cooler master HSF but still the same problem. My cabinet is well ventilated with one exhaust and one intake (both 120mm fans).

Seriously fed up with this overheating issue. Also replaced the thermal paste but no difference.

I have a question - is overheating responsible for slow browsing speeds? Is 70 degree c too much? But then it abruptly shuts down, when it reaches 100.

Can a new cpu cooler solve this issue? Is yes, then my budget is 1k- please recommend a new one.

Thoughts?

The stock cpu fan should not spin at 1200RPM with temps being 70-100c .. this should be around 3.5-5.5k rpm.
A little details on the newly bought CM HSF and TiM [ cooling paste ] - thses two should be of good quality.
Check the motherboard cpu fan header and post the newly installed CM HSF fan speed .. mobo cpu fan header may be faulty and don't count on one intake and one exhaust as good ventilation.

@topgear that's exactly my concern, even at high temps, the CPU fan goes max to 1200 RPM. Why so?

The newly installed HSF fan speed is 1000 RPM at 65 degree c. It reaches max at 1200 RPM, but not more. What can i do if the CPU fan header is faulty? Can I connect the CPU fan to the system fan header? Will it work?

Last edited by a moderator:
you can connect the cpu fan to the system fan header but you will get a bios warning during startup that no cpu fan installed, just ignore it but before that disable all auto fan speed options in bios and set all fan to run at 100% speed.

It's important that you specify which CM cooler you bought. A bad TIM has as much a chance of botching up your CPU temperatures as an inadequate HSF.
Also, when you applied the fresh TIM, was the previous one completely dried up? How much dust was clogged in the stock HSF? What method you used to spread the TIM?

@Crazy_Eddy I am using BIOS to monitor my temps. The new CM HSF that i bought is a cheap one, but the old stock HSF too had the same issue - high temps and fan running at max 1100-1200 RPM. What I cannot understand is why even in the high temps, fan doesn't runs faster? I mean i've seen my friends PC and if his PC reaches at high temps, then the fan runs at 1600 RPM, but why my doesnt i dont' know

I've now given the PC to a technician and see if he can find the fault. For some reason, I am suspecting that it's the mobo perhaps?

now the P2 X4 840 is a qud core cpu and you can't just any CM cooler with it .. every cpu and cooler has some specific TDP limit - so if you use a cpu cooler designed for 65W TDP with a 95W TDP cpu things re not gonna work .. it's advisible to use a cooler with higher TDP limt than your cpu say for a 95W TDP cpu a good cooler with 125W/140W TDP limit and TiM also plays a major role to keep cpu and cooler proper touch and hoew fast the cpu can dissipate heat to the cooler so use some thing good like Cm TF 400 or DC Z5.

Lastsly did you check the fan speed by connecting it to the system fan header ?

ok, i didn't knew about this TDP thing. I'll keep that in mind.

Regarding checking by connecting it to system fan header, I didnt do it. I have given a PC to a shop, let's see what happens.

I have a Phenom II X4 955BE proccy and the fan speed goes up to 6000rpm in the stock cooler during bootup.

Use this to check the fan speed.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Also, disable auto fan speed from BIOS. Check mobo manual to find out what it is exactly called.

What is the mobo model number? As a last resort check if there is an updated bios on Biostar support site.

ok, so the technician found the problem in motherboard. There was something wrong with motherboard as well as the HSF. I just replaced my processor and motherboard with an Intel Core i3 one.

The new setup is running very cool. I've always liked AMD but this time Intel has impressed me. Do I need to re-install Windows 7 and 8? Both are running great without reinstalling, but what do you guys suggest?

A reinstall is always better, especially when shifting between different platforms.

BTW no offense, but sounds like the "technician" wanted to make a quick sale :p. I was pretty sure it wasn't the right HSF - entry level coolermaster HSFs are not rated to run hot quad cores. You could've just picked up a proper HSF and RMA'd your existing board or bought a new AM3+ board rather than do a side-grade to an i3.

ok, so the technician found the problem in motherboard. There was something wrong with motherboard as well as the HSF. I just replaced my processor and motherboard with an Intel Core i3 one.

The new setup is running very cool. I've always liked AMD but this time Intel has impressed me. Do I need to re-install Windows 7 and 8? Both are running great without reinstalling, but what do you guys suggest?

did you ask the technician what was the exact issue with the mother board ? and how come the technician offered you to exchange your existing cpu+mobo combo with a core i3 combo is beyond my understanding ;) anyway, can you post a cpu-z screenshot of your new setup [ CPU and MotherBoard tab ] .. I just want to be sure it's a core i3 combo.

@Crazy_Eddy ok, i'll re-install. I agree with you that entry level HSF are not good, but then there was problem in not just the HSF, but also in the motherboard. He replaced the HSF with his working one and the temps were still high. I don't get the point in repairing the mobo, as it's already 3.5 years old. Plus I didn't want to spend any more money on old system. Don't laugh when i say that he gave me a mere 3k for my existing mobo + CPU.

@topgear Here's the screenshot: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1330983/cpuz.jpg (well, he just gave me 3K for old combo, so he's definitely earning a lot from me).
I know its not 3220 but its 3210. Actually the clock speed of the 3220 is 2.8 GHz while the clock speed of 3210 is 3.2 GHz, so he told me I should opt for 3210 instead. I know many people in this forum recommends 3220, but i think higher clock speed is better?

The 3220 is not 2.8GHz but clocked higher at 3.3GHz. Anyway 100MHz isn't a big deal. He's given you a decent combo with the B75M-D3H motherboard which is what everyone recommends here, so its alright.

@Crazy_Eddy I think we both (me and my dealer) made a mistake to see the exact model. The model we saw was 3220T, which offers 2.8GHz. All these terms are so confusing for the average people like me. Anyways, apart from this 100MHz diff, is there any other diff between 3220 and 3210? I am just asking for curiosity's sake : P

@topgear Thanks man.

And thanks to both of you for your help !

Back