Laptops Studio 15 with i7???

smnrock

Skilled
Y'day i've placed the order for studio 15(customized with P8700) through Dell online. Today the dell rep called and informed studio 15 is not available now and studio 15 with i7 available right now. Is it wise to go studio 15 with i7? there wont be any issues like heating, BSOD...? Or is there any other better model i should go? My primary requirements are programming, movies and occasional gaming.

i7 is a biiiiiig battery sucker. If you can delay the purchase then wait for i5 and i3 laptops that are easy on battery.

But i7 is one hell of a performer and for gaming, it should be good. Do remember that it will be seriously underutilized if programming and movies make up for 90% of your laptop use.

Even for gaming if you take i7 as procesor, you need to have a good GPU that can churn good amount of fps like 9600M GT or HD4670 atleast

The I7 sure uses lot of juice when compared to P8700 but not to the extent of draining the laptop battery within an hour or somthing.
(Dell alienware M15X runs for about 2 hours and 15 mins with 820qm on 9 cell and yours will be 720qm only so even better battery backup).
Besides turbo boost is a very cool feature.
If i were you i would definitely go for I7 option just for the fact it is more future proof..

Hell if my laptop supported mobile I7 cpu's i would have upgraded ages ago..

One con with this CPU is it cannot be overclocked as of now i guess(due to the turbo boost feature but correct me if i am wrong).. but this is not a disadvantage for most people...

Peace~

Back