Study reveals cruel practices in Indian egg farming: Why it’s a cause for concern

swatkats

Skilled
The study conducted in 4 states including Telangana and Andhra Pradesh found many cruel practices such as overcrowding, and the birds living in their own excrement for weeks.

It is not uncommon to see people hasten up their pace when they pass by places that have hens in cages. The rustling of these hens, tightly packed together in tiny cages, as well as the smell of bird waste, can get quite overwhelming.

Picture this though – around four to eight birds crammed together in a cage that is no bigger in area of two A4 size sheets. If they have to move, they must step on each other. They walk in their own urine and faeces, and the excreta of the hens in the cages stacked on top fall on those below.

The eggs we eat and relish come from birds that are kept in these conditions. A study by Animal Equality conducted in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana – states known for their egg production – in February 2019 has found these and several other cruel and illegal practices that dominate the Indian egg farming industry.
In Andhra Pradesh, Animal Equality covered Gudivada and in Telangana, the Nampally meat market.

Cruel practices

Apart from overcrowding and sanitation issues, researchers also found that hens kept in these conditions were missing feathers and were suffering from abrasions and skin irritations, probably due to the high concentration of ammonia in their litter. Their waste was cleared only once every few weeks after it made huge, stinking piles under their cages.

G14XSS0.jpg

Why you should care

Hens delivering eggs in these conditions has serious repercussions for humans consuming them as well.
Firstly, the unhygienic living conditions of the birds can not only lead to high mortality in them but also cause diseases in consumers of eggs as well as people working in these egg farms.
“We have seen workers and their children working for long hours at the farm and sometimes they live at the farm.
Due to the harmful environment at egg farms, workers are known to contract respiratory diseases like asthma and chronic bronchitis,” said Amruta Ubale, Animal Equality’s Executive Director.

Read more: https://www.thenewsminute.com/artic...ian-egg-farming-why-it-s-cause-concern-105378

Buy Ayur eggs, if you stay in Telugu speaking states & Bengaluru.

Comes around ₹12/egg and its organic!

Ayurvedic feed sounds very suspicious. Do they test the kapha and pitta of the hens? Hens, like humans are omnivorous. I hope they are not being raised on a plant based diet.
These days I pick up free range eggs (13-15 per egg). I find them much better than the ones from industrial farms.
I pretty much stopped eating chicken after watching a poultry farm closely. Giving up eggs is harder :)

Ayurvedic feed sounds very suspicious. Do they test the kapha and pitta of the hens? Hens, like humans are omnivorous. I hope they are not being raised on a plant based diet.
These days I pick up free range eggs (13-15 per egg). I find them much better than the ones from industrial farms.
I pretty much stopped eating chicken after watching a poultry farm closely. Giving up eggs is harder :)

Well the eggs are very tasty and non-smelly like normal eggs. Yolk in Dark yellow (Turmeric like color) .. These are just better and affordable, I found the free range bird eggs to cost around Rs. 18/egg

Are the fee range really free range ? In india i am doubtful since nobody checks. Similar happened to milk inudstry where we get these organic milk 25% more cost but have seen its just marketing tactic to target rich high society women. there was vene a viral video of a guy putting amul milk in those organic milk bottles and then selling with a fat margin. The color etc of yolk anyway can be manipulated based on feed given as my uncle used to have a egg farm and he sold many varieties at diff price points although all came from same crowded hen farms.

Back