Laptops Sub-US$500 AMD notebooks from Dell to hit the market in November

dipdude

Skilled
Dell is set to begin shipping notebooks that feature AMD CPUs from the last week of October, according to Taiwan-based notebook makers. By the beginning of November, the first batch of 500,000 AMD notebook from Dell will officially hit the market, added the makers.

Dell will target the low-end of the notebook market with its AMD models, with prices ranging from US$449-499 for a 15.4-inch model coming first, though a 17-inch model will be added in the first quarter of 2007, the notebook makers noted,

Dell's 15.4-inch notebook is being manufactured by Taiwan-based Quanta Computer while the company's 17-inch model will by produced by Compal Electronics, the Taiwan notebook makers pointed out.

AMD currently accounts for less than 15% of the global notebook CPU market, but the company expects to grow its share significantly by partnering with Dell, the notebook makers said. According to the notebook makers, Dell will use 20 million AMD CPUs during the first year of their partnership (4Q06-4Q07) with notebook CPUs accounting for at least 20% of the total.

Although sources indicated that supply of AMD CPUs is running tight, AMD is willing to supply Dell with 500,000 units for the first batch. If sales go well, AMD will continue securing Dell with similar shipment volumes, the sources added.

AMD Taiwan declined to comment on the news.

________
Sub-US$500 AMD notebooks from Dell to hit the market in November

Finally! Offlate I have started hating Intel for their over priced/costly products catering to the notebook platform. I think these budget AMD based laptops would sell really well. Customers have become more cost concious when it comes to laptops and do not go just by Intel. Atleast many have started to give AMD powered solutions for laptop an option due to the value for money they offer.

I wish their association very good luck :p I really want them to do some good biz and give intel some serious threat to their sales. With time after the amd-ati merger, and the development of fusion processors things definitely look bright for them.

Dell is set to begin shipping notebooks that feature AMD CPUs from the last week of October, according to Taiwan-based notebook makers.

:rofl: :rofl:

when did Dell shift it's HQ to Taiwan ?? :lmao:

Dell works slightly differently...Most of their systems are assembled in their own plants (In Malayisia/China/Texas and soon, India)..Note that they are assembled in their own plants,....All the components however are sourced from OEM manufacturers (Mostly in Taiwan) and of course, Intel and now AMD...

The Taiwanese OEMs esp. those who supply the Mobos however would obviously be one of the the first to know of any such changes

This process is however different from say HP where the OEMs handle the assembly and shipping process too

Dell Rolls Out Budget 15" AMD-based Notebooks

Dell rolls out its AMD-based notebooks, but they don't quite dip below the projected sub-$500 price point
Dell has pulled the wraps off its budget 15.4" notebooks using AMD processors. While the new offerings aren't dipping below the $500 price point previously predicted, the notebooks can be had from $549.

The new Inspiron 1501 is available with a number of processors including the Mobile Sempron 3500+, Turion 64 MK-36, Turion 64 X2 TL-50 and Turion 64 X2 TL-56. Up to 2GB of DDR2 memory is supported via the ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 IGP (256MB HyperMemory). HD audio support is included as is support for SATA hard drive up to 80GB in size. Optical drive choices include a 24x CD-RW/DVD combo drive and a multi-format DVD burner. As for the notebook itself, it weighs 6.19 pounds and measures 14" x 1.44" x 10.45".

The base $549 system will get you a Sempron 3500+ processor, 512MB of memory, 60GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD combo drive, Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g adapter, Windows XP Home and a 1-year warranty. $859 will get you a Turion 64 MK-36, 1GB of memory, 80GB hard drive, 8x DVD burner, Windows XP Home and a 2-year warranty.

"The base $549 system will get you a Sempron 3500+ processor, 512MB of memory, 60GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD combo drive, Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g adapter, Windows XP Home and a 1-year warranty."

For 25k its a steal... the sempron 3500+ should deliver almost the performance of Athlon 3000+...

When I start reading the news, thought - 'must be with VIA Processor'.

But 'NO', its AMD, whatever it is, its AMD+DELL....... will ge for it in near future.

lol....yes that would be an AWSOME "STEAL"....... though i myself work for INTEL Hope none of my Bosses are here) i still fail to see how AMD is doing it such a cheaper price??????? now that is a Thought...

What is really nice to see is, they use the Radeos XPress 1150 chipset for the entire range. No playing around with cheapo or not so good chipsets lacking some features. The prices are really sweet and these notebooks will really be VFM, but I expected them to be a little more cheaper considering AMD would really want to push it sales after being associated with Dell for the first time. Moreover, the Xpress 1150 is Vista Ready in real sense of the term. That would also have an edge compared to Intel's offering. go AMD+DELL go :p

superczar said:
Dell works slightly differently...Most of their systems are assembled in their own plants (In Malayisia/China/Texas and soon, India)..Note that they are assembled in their own plants,....All the components however are sourced from OEM manufacturers (Mostly in Taiwan) and of course, Intel and now AMD...

The Taiwanese OEMs esp. those who supply the Mobos however would obviously be one of the the first to know of any such changes

This process is however different from say HP where the OEMs handle the assembly and shipping process too

nice info there superczar :D

It remains to be seen how popular these notebooks actually will be. AMD is playing catch up in a much bigger way in the notebook sector than even in the desktop right now

For 25k its a steal... the sempron 3500+ should deliver almost the performance of Athlon 3000+...

The final landed cost wouldn't be that though..add a 6-9% tax depending on the state and another 40-50 $ for essential upgrades and you are looking at a figure close to $650 or 30K....

now at that price point, I would perhaps go for a P-M based machine than a sempron!

and unfortunately the Turion X2s touch the $800-850 price mark and the Core/Core2 machines start looking lucrative at that price point...

Back