Budget 25-30k Successor for my OnePlus 3T

sharktale1212

Adept
May 27, 2008
I bought my Oneplus 3t around 4 years ago and it has been amazing - even with the phone still running on Android 7.1. Combined with a Nilkin hard cover it has survived numerous falls.

Within the last year, problems have come up. The power button has gone kaput. Fingerprint sensor requires multiple tries. And the proximity sensor doesn't work causing calls to be disconnected in between.
Battery life has also taken a hit. Though thankfully working from home + fast charging ensures that I don't run out of power at a crucial time.

Now I am out to find a successor. Something which last me at least 3-4 years even with ever increasing RAM and Storage needs.

Things which I am looking for:
Decent Battery Life - at least 1.5-2 days on charge
Fast Charging - Very important because now I habituated to the fast charging
Snapdragon processor - I am not a fan of Exynos processors because I think they are under powered for the price.
8GB/128GB
Good build so that the phone survives some drops (within a hard case) for next couple of years

Good to have: 3mm earphones
I don't care for camera though.

In today's world it is quite difficult to get away from monitoring and data collection. Most probably I will be installing a custom ROM on the phone. So that is another consideration.

I have considered OP 7t and at 35k it seems pricey. I was hoping for a drop in price and then I saw the phone is removed from sale on Amazon.

indy1811

Veteran
Dec 24, 2006

sj88

Disciple
Mar 10, 2018
Delhi
7T is still selling on Amazon. If you want to lease a new life into your 3T, might I suggest you to install custom ROM like lineageOS. Being a long time user of my OnePlus One and still using it, I would say these custom ROMs do bring new life to your old devices but you will have to compromise on majorly two fronts: camera and widevine support.
I am also hunting for my new phone which falls under 35k and 7T checks all the boxes but this time I thought to go with Asus 6z or 7z. Hence, I have been waiting for Asus 6z to go on sale but the whole lockdown situation made it temporary unavailable. Asus 7z will be launching in this month as well. So I am waiting for that now.

sharktale1212

Adept
May 27, 2008
Well I got royally screwed. I woke up on Saturday to see my phone has powered down. I looked online and all the options given don't work. I can't reboot the phone. The OnePlus support site doesn't work. They can't process a repair. Then I tried calling all the service centers in Bangalore. It seems there is a long line of people trying to get their OP3T power button repaired. The company has gone with the planned obsolesce - they have stopped shipping the power strips for at least a year now. What really got my goat was that on the Oneplus forums the mods said that I should try to contact "support", even though my thread clearly says that support site isn't working.

So now the OP3T is just an expensive paper weight. I am trying to revive it by getting the local mobile repair shop put in an OEM part. Once I get my data I will get rid of the phone.

As for 7T, I can't find it on Amazon now. At least not the 35k version.