Budget 25-30k Successor for my OnePlus 3T

I bought my Oneplus 3t around 4 years ago and it has been amazing - even with the phone still running on Android 7.1. Combined with a Nilkin hard cover it has survived numerous falls.

Within the last year, problems have come up. The power button has gone kaput. Fingerprint sensor requires multiple tries. And the proximity sensor doesn't work causing calls to be disconnected in between.
Battery life has also taken a hit. Though thankfully working from home + fast charging ensures that I don't run out of power at a crucial time.

Now I am out to find a successor. Something which last me at least 3-4 years even with ever increasing RAM and Storage needs.

Things which I am looking for:
Decent Battery Life - at least 1.5-2 days on charge
Fast Charging - Very important because now I habituated to the fast charging
Snapdragon processor - I am not a fan of Exynos processors because I think they are under powered for the price.
8GB/128GB
Good build so that the phone survives some drops (within a hard case) for next couple of years

Good to have: 3mm earphones
I don't care for camera though.

In today's world it is quite difficult to get away from monitoring and data collection. Most probably I will be installing a custom ROM on the phone. So that is another consideration.

I have considered OP 7t and at 35k it seems pricey. I was hoping for a drop in price and then I saw the phone is removed from sale on Amazon.

7T is still selling on Amazon. If you want to lease a new life into your 3T, might I suggest you to install custom ROM like lineageOS. Being a long time user of my OnePlus One and still using it, I would say these custom ROMs do bring new life to your old devices but you will have to compromise on majorly two fronts: camera and widevine support.
I am also hunting for my new phone which falls under 35k and 7T checks all the boxes but this time I thought to go with Asus 6z or 7z. Hence, I have been waiting for Asus 6z to go on sale but the whole lockdown situation made it temporary unavailable. Asus 7z will be launching in this month as well. So I am waiting for that now.

Well I got royally screwed. I woke up on Saturday to see my phone has powered down. I looked online and all the options given don't work. I can't reboot the phone. The OnePlus support site doesn't work. They can't process a repair. Then I tried calling all the service centers in Bangalore. It seems there is a long line of people trying to get their OP3T power button repaired. The company has gone with the planned obsolesce - they have stopped shipping the power strips for at least a year now. What really got my goat was that on the Oneplus forums the mods said that I should try to contact "support", even though my thread clearly says that support site isn't working.

So now the OP3T is just an expensive paper weight. I am trying to revive it by getting the local mobile repair shop put in an OEM part. Once I get my data I will get rid of the phone.

As for 7T, I can't find it on Amazon now. At least not the 35k version.

Well I got royally screwed. I woke up on Saturday to see my phone has powered down. I looked online and all the options given don't work. I can't reboot the phone. The OnePlus support site doesn't work. They can't process a repair. Then I tried calling all the service centers in Bangalore. It seems there is a long line of people trying to get their OP3T power button repaired. The company has gone with the planned obsolesce - they have stopped shipping the power strips for at least a year now. What really got my goat was that on the Oneplus forums the mods said that I should try to contact "support", even though my thread clearly says that support site isn't working.

So now the OP3T is just an expensive paper weight. I am trying to revive it by getting the local mobile repair shop put in an OEM part. Once I get my data I will get rid of the phone.

As for 7T, I can't find it on Amazon now. At least not the 35k version.

You can get XR (used) for 35k or you can get SE(Used but it's literally been 2 months since release) @ 35k too

The new Nord series is out. Maybe you can look into it.
Other considerations are Moto fusion plus.
Battery life is subjective. With normal use the above phones can last for 1.5 to 2 days. If you game a lot, make it 1 day.

I got the phone button repaired at a local shop. So for now I am saved. for the iOS phones, I have an old Ipad mini 2 and the battery on it beats every Android phone hands down. But I like to have access to the filesystem, I don't think I'll be able to use iOS as my daily driver.

The nord series looks good but I think their marketing is hyping the phone too much.

My phone usage isn't very heavy. Even on my OP3T I barely game. It's mostly gmail, podcasts and couple of hours of phone calls. And it can't even stand that. I am running out of battery in 15 hrs max. If I start to game then I don't think it'll last even half a day. When I bought the phone it could run for ~ 2 days with the same load.

I looked at Moto Fusion +, and Redmi K20 pro. Both these phones are very good for the price. I am just hesitant on the popup selfie setup. I don't know if the mechanism will work after couple of drops.

I also looked at Realme X2 pro. From what I can see on xda getting the custom rom on it is a pain.

Custom ROMs, go for K20 Pro. Getting a lot of positive reviews for custom ROMs both here and other forums.
I like the specs. The only thing I am worried about is the popup camera. I have butter fingers and drop my phone every now and then. just today dropped my OP3T. So I am worried the popup selfie camera wouldn't take the damage.

I like the specs. The only thing I am worried about is the popup camera. I have butter fingers and drop my phone every now and then. just today dropped my OP3T. So I am worried the popup selfie camera wouldn't take the damage.

https://www.gizmochina.com/2019/05/...d-to-last-a-life-time-300000-cycles-actually/

In order to prevent the user from accidentally dropping during use and inflict damage on the camera, the K20 and K20 Pro use the mechanism plus software to protect the pop-up camera. It will quickly retract the front camera after the drop occurs, and the inside has a spring device for protection. The K20 and K20 Pro have a built-in three-axis gyroscope to detect their own falling motion, the sensor inside the phone will do an extremely precise detection action and cause the camera to retract. The entire process will be completed within 100ms.

Hope it helps

https://www.gizmochina.com/2019/05/...d-to-last-a-life-time-300000-cycles-actually/

In order to prevent the user from accidentally dropping during use and inflict damage on the camera, the K20 and K20 Pro use the mechanism plus software to protect the pop-up camera. It will quickly retract the front camera after the drop occurs, and the inside has a spring device for protection. The K20 and K20 Pro have a built-in three-axis gyroscope to detect their own falling motion, the sensor inside the phone will do an extremely precise detection action and cause the camera to retract. The entire process will be completed within 100ms.

Hope it helps
That sounds cool but then how does it work on a custom ROM like pixel experience?

hey, just fyi,

If you are planning on buying k20 pro and use it with a custom rom, I have bad news for you. Safetynet tests for now pass because of the stuff people have built to ensure it passes, which is why all your banking apps still work.

Soon(maybe in 1-2 year), Google will roll out hardware attestation in safetynet which will cause all the existing workarounds to fail and there is no way in the software to address that.

So, Your banking apps most likely will stop working when safetynet fails and you'll have to go back to unrooted miui if you want to use banking apps which kind of sucks.

In android R, Google is also bringing the scoped storage api. It's a bit more sane than scoped storage in ios. IMO, there is not much to worry about iff whichever file explorer you like gets an exclusion from google and gets the permission to access entire fs, otherwise, it will be pretty annoying.

☝️☝️
I was about to make the same point. It's one of the main reasons why I am not jumping the gun on custom OS from long term perspective.
Why would Google do something like this is beyond my scope? Android stands for customisation and freedom to use and do what you want.

Why would Google do something like this is beyond my scope? Android stands for customisation and freedom to use and do what you want.
Customization and Freedom are fine but not more important than security. They want their phones to be secure and I am with them on this. All of us using banking apps on phones where safetynet was passed with workarounds are taking a huge risk.

And unpopular opinion, Custom roms, In general, Suck!

(I wrote like a 2000 word essay about this in reply but bleh, It's probably dumb and I don't really want to share it)

Back