Suggesstions/Opinions: Samsung i5700 or i7500

Hi,
Just met a old frd after a long time, he had a i7500, was totally impressed with the phone, great screen, running Android 1.5, have never seen a capacitive touch screen before so really like the screen response...
All this for just 15-16k, tried to do my research on the phone, found that there's i5700, which it seems will be getting Android 2.0, also it has a 800 MHz proc compared to the 528 MHz in i7500
Just need some suggestion as to which one is better
Thanks

m.a. said:
Hi Frank

The text input is on par with iPhone IMAO. It has auto suggest/correct/complete/t9 too. For the numbers, there is a kinda shift key/button on the virtual keypad on extreme left which toggles to numbers.

I found the text input in portrait mode quite alright. The Landscape mode, although has a bigger size virtual keyboard but the text input response is a little laggy and I've read reports suggesting the same. All in all, the text input is adequate. For heavy texters/ smsers/ email writers, one would always suggest a slide out keyboard based phone(like my earlier HTC S710 :D).

Have already installed quite a few apps from the market and will let you know which ones are good/ required.

CAUTION: When setting up/ starting the phone for the first time, please ensure the following( I learnt it the hard way and ended up factory resetiing my phone 20 times on the first day itself):

1. Charge the battery to full before fiddling with the phone
2. Ensure you have GPRS data plan or an active WIFI network before actually starting to use the phone for the first time. This is because it is a Google phone, so you will have to enter your google credentials for the phone to sync all/ any of your required google apps like gmail, gtalk, google maps etc.
3. Airtel users, I hope you know Net on Phone is only HTTP access, so google apps etc wont work on your Spica with only Net On Phone; please get Airtel Mobile Office(GPRS/EDGE) activated on your sim.

Any other problems/ issues/ workarounds/ tricks etc, let me know. I love this phone! Hope you do too. :)

Bro is SPICA 16M or 65K colors?

Yes, its 65k (as per the bpx). However, as per my understanding, its 65k because of Android 1.5. WHen the Spica gets an update in Apr-May2010, the display may be able to show 16m Colours. Maybe I'm confused, but this what I've gathered from a lot of web resources.

Btw, any one else who's got the Spica? I have a couple of questions.

Hi
Ive a samsung i7500, Full paisa vasool phone.
At 14K Ive Good 5 mpx camera. Amoled screen is the best ive ever seen in mobiles, Brightness is lil low but Colors are fantastic. & ya 8 gb inbuilt memory.
I wanted to know how to config gprs on it. I ve vodafone mumbai. let me know if any one here know it

m.a. said:
Hi Frank

The text input is on par with iPhone IMAO. It has auto suggest/correct/complete/t9 too. For the numbers, there is a kinda shift key/button on the virtual keypad on extreme left which toggles to numbers...

Unfortunately the text input is not at par with an iphone. Apple's implementation of the on screen keyboard is still the best so far. I dont know about the Nexux One but my Spica keyboard could have been better.

m.a. said:
They're both different phone altogether, I do not understand the comparison. One is an Android Smartphone while the other is a multimedia/music touch phone...

However, the Spica is the only Android phone which plays DivX natively and very well I must say.

ayaskant12 said:
by the way is it true that only 192mb partition for apps?????...

You can hack the phone to use the SD card for the same. I have been using the Spica for the last 1 week and have yet to run out of space to install apps.

My additional 2 bits...

800mhz processor very fast... RAM is only for running multiple apps, i have not seen my i5700 as sluggish ever while running multiple apps.

For its price, the best you can get. It can easily handle Eclair also. I am sure you have seen this link

nitesh171085 said:
I wanted to know how to config gprs on it. I ve vodafone mumbai. let me know if any one here know it

Easy! Ask Vodafone to activate Mobile Office...once activated...do this:

Settings->Wireless controls->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names-> Press 'Menu' -> Select 'New APN'-> Enter Any name (I entered mine as edge) and for APN just enter 'www' press back button (do not save) and exit you will see 'www' just select this access point and you will start to see 'E" in the notification bar. That's it :)

After going through several posts above I fail to understand the brouhaha around Android 2.0/Eclair update. I have used Eclair and trust me you are not missing anything in Cupcake or Donut. C'mon guys HTC made their entire Sense UI on Cupcake they never waited for Eclair release. Cupcake is more than enough for a 12K-15K phone. If you want an Android phone just go and grab this beauty!

@ed.hardy
While you may have used Eclair, the general opinion is that it will improve the on screen keyboard of Spica. The OSK is the only irritation I have with an otherwise awesome phone for the price you pay.

I have posted a short review on my blog.

It seems confirmed that the Spica will get the 2.1 upgrade in April. Although, its confirmed for the Samsung users in Ireland. No idea about India. Samsung does have a clouded history in terms of firmware release. But that was also applicable to its own prop. OS, maybe they will be more proactive with Android.

abhilash ... the 2.1 firmware is there and people have already upgraded it , pretty ironic was that the first 2.1 firmware that came out was from india with hindi in it ...after that 2 more subsequent ones have come out and some guys have already modded it to suit their needs , but i have not yet upgraded it

The official firmware should come out end of feb

For the keyboard , did you try swype or shapewriter?

how about the i5700's battery life guys... the only thing that takes me away from this fone is the SAMSUNG brand.... many of my friends had poor experience with samsung's battery life.....wat abt this one... ???

anish_sha said:
how about the i5700's battery life guys... the only thing that takes me away from this fone is the SAMSUNG brand.... many of my friends had poor experience with samsung's battery life.....wat abt this one... ???

Really depends on your usage. With if you are gonna be a heavy GPS and internet user then I think you will have to charge it every night. If you are gonna be mostly a phone user and occasional FB/Social media user, then you can expect 2 to 2.5 days on a single charge.

The Spica's battery is a higher capacity one than the one used in the older galaxy, but the screen uses more power, since its LCD and not LED.

I am a heavy internet user, and need to charge my phone after every 36 hours or so.

Back