Suggest 2012 PC Rig for Professional animator

anil_sethi

Disciple
hi friends need help suggest pc config for professional animation work.

budget-60K ( except monitor )

I don't know much about gpu,psu and mb so suggest best rig.

have to work 15+ hours daily with lots of rendering and video editing. +gaming

cpu must be core i7.

I can wait 2-3 months more for better release of hardware.

thanks.

Questions

1. Q: What is your budget?

a. 60-70k

2. Q: What is your existing

hardware configuration

(component name - component

brand and model)

a. CPU - Intel core2duo 2.8

b. Motherboard - Asus p5qlcm

c. GPU - nvidea gt8400

d. RAM - Adara 2X4Gb

ddr2

e. Monitor - lg 20 led

f. SMPS - zebronic price 400
<

g. (please mention the rest

in above format)

3. Q: Which hardware will you be

keeping (component name -

component brand and model)

a. Monitor - lg led 20 inch

4. whuch component

are you looking to buy

(component name). If you have

already decided on a

configuration then please

mention the (component brand

and model) as well, this will

help us in fine tuning your

requirement.

a. CPU - core i7

b. Motherboard - any

compatible motherboard

c. GPU - good one

d. all other also any

6. Q: Where will you buy this

hardware? (Online/City/TE

Dealer)

a. Bhubaneswar

b. Open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a

second hand hardware from the

TE market

a. No

8. Q: What is your intended use

for this PC/hardware

a. rendering

b. Browsing

c. Desktop Processing

d. hd video editing

e. Download rig, 24x7

operation

f. Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand

preference or dislike? Please

name them and the reason for

your pref.

ans- any good one

10. Q: If you will be playing games

then which type of games will

you be playing?

a. Strategy - Civilization 4,crysis 2,battlefield 3 erc

b. Racing - Grid at medium

to high settings

11. Q: What is your preferred

monitor resolution for gaming

and normal usage

1. Gaming - 1280x728

2. Desktop - 1440x900

12. Q: Are you looking to

overclock?

a. don't know much about it

13. Q: Which operating system do

you intend to use with this

configuration?

a. Windows 7 64 bit

b. window xp 32 bit

mainly for animation work.lots of rendering and HD video editing.

except monitor suggest everything.

thanks

CPU-Intel i7 2600-17.5k

Mobo- Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6K

RAM-[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Corsair xms3 2X4gb 1600mhz-3.4k OR Gskill ripjawsX 2X4gb 1600mhz-3.5k[/font]

HDD-Segate 1TB 7200RPM-6k

GPU-I'd suggest you to get Nvidia quadro 600-11K[For rendering and production],If you're gonna game then get Nvidia Gtx560ti-14.5k since it has CUDA and PHYSX which will help you in gaming and rendering also.

PSU-Seasonic s12ii 520W-3.6k

CASE-Nzxt Gamma-2.4k OR Corsair Carbide 400R-5k

UPS-APC 1.1KVA-4.8k or more.

If you choose quadroo 600 you won't be able to play games.

Hope this helps
<

Sir for your resolution GTX560 ti-14.5k is more than enough,if you're talking about the quadro then next quadroo to 600 is Quadro 2000-25k or so,which is out of your budget.

I forgot to mention ssd in the above rig-

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB-13k OR OCZ 120 GB AGILITY3 SATA III 2.5"-11k,I suggest you to get 120gb ssd for faster os and application performance.
thanks jacob.

I want more configuration plz.

and suggest good more gfx with budget.

If your primary usage would be for Animation & Rendering then PLEASE STICK TO NVIDIA - Go for Quadro 2000 for it's rock-solid stability.

Consider reading this excellent article by Jason Lewis

http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/10/review-professional-gpus-nvidia-vs-amd-2011/

..... the biggest differences between professional and consumer cards are their driver set and software support. While consumer hardware is tuned more towards fill rate and shader calculations, pro cards are tuned for 3D operations such as geometry transformations and vertex matrices, as well as better performance under GPGPU APIs such as CUDA, OpenCL, and DirectCompute.

Pro cards are also extensively optimized, tested and certified for use with CAD and DCC applications – 3ds Max, Maya, Softimage, AutoCAD and SolidWorks. This not only increases performance, but offers excellent stability and predictability when compared to their desktop counterparts, particularly when running CAD packages.

When I polled other users, the general consensus was that while these applications will work on consumer graphics accelerators, performance with non-professional cards is sub-par, and viewport glitches and anomalies are quite common (like renders getting interrupted/corrupted or dropped frames also).

These issues are much less frequent with pro cards, and when they are identified, are usually addressed rather quickly, since manufacturers offer much more extensive customer support for their professional products.

I am exploring the possibility of using this (Quado Card) with AMD FX 8150 - an 8 core processor that's cheaper than the i-7. Coupled with 16 gigs of RAM, this would more than suffice. Note that the Quadro 600 is not bad as it's the entry level professional card.

Would love to hear more from TE folks as I too am looking (finally) to upgrade my system in April.

I have also read ALPHA17's excellent feedback on the FX 8150

http://www.techenclave.com/topic/507802-upgrade-for-maya/page__st__20

However almost a month and a half has passed and do we have any new feedback on FX 8150 - this one's surely taken a long time for it's true performance to be assessed. Of course when the time come's to take the plunge .... I am open to i7 too
<

Cheers

The thing is op has mentioned he wants to play games and Quadro 2000 is almost around 25k so either quadro 600 or GTX560ti is the option.

The thing is op has mentioned he wants to play games and Quadro 2000 is almost around 25k so either quadro 600 or GTX560ti is the option.

Agreed. However I presume as OP has stated in the "header" his primary objective is for "Animation & Rendering" - the rest is secondary (like gaming). Furthermore, this rig will be operated for long hours and it needs to be future-proof over the next 4-5 years. The Quadro 2000 is expensive but "rock-solid" and yes with Windows 8 - we hope the "octa-core" features of such processors will be utilised fully.

Back