Video Suggest 40inch LCD/LED, Budget:45-50k

RS4

Skilled
Any suggestions for 40inch LCD/LED in 45k-50k budget? the viewing distance will be 7-8 feet, avoiding plasma due to image retention and reflection factors, some of the options:

1. Samsung LED-LCD 40EH5000 for 50k.
2. Sony LCD 40NX520 for 50k.
3. LG LCD 42LK450 for 37k.

ready to buy any good product from this range from grey market if some bangalore guys can point to some trusted grey market dealer/shop. These 50k LCD will cost 34-35k in grey market which is substantial saving and worth a panel replacment
tongu23e.gif

any suggestions
adder
Vasishta.Sushant @Metalspree

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the EH5000 for 36K odd some time back. Had LG Scarlet 2 previously. I think the panel is great value for the money paid. The color balance is just outstanding and black levels are pretty decent.

Have few gripes though. The same 1080p resolution looks blurry on a 40 incher as compared to 32 incher that I had previously. Took me some time to adjust. Also the EH5000 won't give you very fine level of tweaking options (My LG Scarlet was way way better). For the nerds like us, it matters. But the good thing is that you won't be requiring much tweaking since the default settings are really tuned well. I'd mention that the viewing angles were lot better with the IPS panel in my old LG. The color curve gets skewed heavily when you move far from the direct viewing line.

Also I guess it makes sense in getting the stuff from grey market. The 15-20K that you'll save can go towards the repairing, if its ever required.

^^ When did you buy for 36k? i think the prices of LCD have been static from quite some time, first due to floods and then weak rupee, hopefully prices will fall now as rupee is going up.

In bangalore grey getting a samsung for that price is impossible.They mostly only sell sony and if they do sell samsung the prices area not competitive
I would avoid the NX520,for your budget you can get the 40EX650.

There is no such thing as trusted shops in bangalore all are the same,you can buy them in the shops located in sukhsagar mall in gandhinagar.

RS4 i am no expert here.

i know but tagged you to get some info on bangalore grey market.

In bangalore grey getting a samsung for that price is impossible.They mostly only sell sony and if they do sell samsung the prices area not competitive
I would avoid the NX520,for your budget you can get the 40EX650.

There is no such thing as trusted shops in bangalore all are the same,you can buy them in the shops located in sukhsagar mall in gandhinagar.

Dont want to spend 50k on grey market models, 50k is the budget for products with warranty and 35-36k for grey market models(basically the same range), is samsung 40EH5000 LED better than sony 40NX520? and there is one new model: KLV-40EX430 : EX430 Series : BRAVIA? HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India

Samsung 40EH5000 is available in sukkhsagar according to this forum post: Much cheaper LED TVs in Gaffar :) - Page 4

I would say the EH5000 is decent buy considering the price of 34k quoted in the other site.NX520 has nothing special although it has a SPVA panel,but not worth the price.

There is no major gain by getting a edge-lit LED-LCD TV over getting a LCD-LCD TV (a google would confirm what I am saying!).

Apart from TV programs, do you intend to play other downloaded stuff etc.? If yes, do keep in mind that Sony is limiting in playing formats. If you like Sony, factor the cost of a media player.

If you are OK, consider Toshiba PB20 - it is a 40" LCD.

The shortlisted Sammy & LG models are both good. Take advice from everybody, but finally trust your eyes only - in this case, seeing is believing!

I would say the EH5000 is decent buy considering the price of 34k quoted in the other site.NX520 has nothing special although it has a SPVA panel,but not worth the price.

ok, so 40EH5000 is good for that price, 40NX520 has SPVA panel but BE3 processing and more reflections due to monolithic design,this new LED from sony doesnt have any online reviews: http://www.sony.co.in/product/klv-40ex430

So, not many options in this price range i guess.

There is no major gain by getting a edge-lit LED-LCD TV over getting a LCD-LCD TV (a google would confirm what I am saying!).

Apart from TV programs, do you intend to play other downloaded stuff etc.? If yes, do keep in mind that Sony is limiting in playing formats. If you like Sony, factor the cost of a media player.

If you are OK, consider Toshiba PB20 - it is a 40" LCD.

The shortlisted Sammy & LG models are both good. Take advice from everybody, but finally trust your eyes only - in this case, seeing is believing!

yup, i know that samsung plays almost every format and sony is limited but not this NX520 model as it comes with sony's lower end BE3 processor which can play even mkv files. Not ok with toshiba, haier , phillips, vu etc..

But format compatibility is not the priority and willing to get less codec compatible LCD if the panel is much better.

The BE3 processing ain't bad,but the tvs based on X-reality have slightly better de interlacing ,but has a lighting fast start up time faster then samsung faster then all other first tier lcd make tvs(although the DTH stbs will be bottleneck).

But the NX520 is costly because of the monolithic design which isn't in the same league as the expensive monolithic tvs with gorilla glass and opticontrast(better blacks in day time and lesser reflections) panels found in HX series.

^^ what about motion blur? it depends on processing or the panel itself, heard that SPVA panel is better in this regard, sony LED 40EX430 uses the same direct LED tech like samsung 40EH5000 and looks like both are competing in the same segment, any chance of guaranteed SPVA panel in 40EX430?

Motion blur is reduced by backlight scanning alone or with the combination of frame insertion.These are available in samsung series 6 LED-lcd and Sony EX650 LED-lcd and upwards.The Sony version called motionflow with clear setting has no "Soap opera effects" and yet it manages to give 1080lines of motion resolution.

Sony and samsung both used to use frame insertion only a few years back which adds the soap opera effect and also increases the input lag,but they now increasingly started to use backlight scanning which doesn't induce input lag and atleast in the Sony version has no trace of the Soap opera effect,so its safe to switch it On permanently.

I haven't seen the EX430 yet,but you can know what panel it has by pressing " i , 5 , Vol + ,power " in the remote during stand by and if you can note down the panel code or take a picture.
I believe both the EH5000 and EX430 are using a SMVA or AMVA tech .
In the samsung you have to press "Info,Menu,Mute,Power" again during stand by .

Motion blur is reduced by backlight scanning alone or with the combination of frame insertion.These are available in samsung series 6 LED-lcd and Sony EX650 LED-lcd and upwards.The Sony version called motionflow with clear setting has no "Soap opera effects" and yet it manages to give 1080lines of motion resolution.

Sony and samsung both used to use frame insertion only a few years back which adds the soap opera effect and also increases the input lag,but they now increasingly started to use backlight scanning which doesn't induce input lag and atleast in the Sony version has no trace of the Soap opera effect,so its safe to switch it On permanently.

I haven't seen the EX430 yet,but you can know what panel it has by pressing " i , 5 , Vol + ,power " in the remote during stand by and if you can note down the panel code or take a picture.
I believe both the EH5000 and EX430 are using a SMVA or AMVA tech .
In the samsung you have to press "Info,Menu,Mute,Power" again during stand by .

so less motion blur does not depend on panel and it is better to get higher end models of samsung or sony with better frame insertion tech.
EH5000 has samsung panel lottery and people have reported all three SPVA,SMVA and AMVA panels, dont know about EX430 till now.

I have just brought this model, KLV-40EX430 : EX430 Series : BRAVIA? HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India
the picture quality is good. Got it for 54k.

congrats on your new LED, Can you note down its panel code or take a picture, so that we can decode the panel used in 40EX430, to get this info follow the instructions as mentioned in the post above you, that is, go to stand by(switch off tv by remote), then press one by one at a brisk pace " i , 5 , Vol + ,power "

so less motion blur does not depend on panel and it is better to get higher end models of samsung or sony with better frame insertion tech.
EH5000 has samsung panel lottery and people have reported all three SPVA,SMVA and AMVA panels, dont know about EX430 till now.

congrats on your new LED, Can you note down its panel code or take a picture, so that we can decode the panel used in 40EX430, to get this info follow the instructions as mentioned in the post above you, that is, go to stand by(switch off tv by remote), then press one by one at a brisk pace " i , 5 , Vol + ,power "

Ok will try this today at home. is it "i" but.

Ok will try this today at home. is it "i" but.
Its i for info button.

- - - Updated - - -

Frame insertion isn't going to help as much as the new backlight scanning systems found from 2011 and upwards.
However for 3d a panel with high native refresh rate is a must.

Frame insertion isn't going to help as much as the new backlight scanning systems found from 2011 and upwards.
However for 3d a panel with high native refresh rate is a must.

Whats stopping the manufacturers from including backlight scanning in lower end models costing 45k-55k? is it an expensive tech or more like restricting the tech for higher end tv's so that they can be marketed better?

Whats stopping the manufacturers from including backlight scanning in lower end models costing 45k-55k? is it an expensive tech or more like restricting the tech for higher end tv's so that they can be marketed better?
Well there is definitively extra costs involved,but not as much as the companies are charging.

But they have put a lot into R&D to get them where they are today, in 2007 the Sony motionflow tech based on frame insertion used to achieve around 600lines of motion resolution with soap opera effect +input lag,in 2008 they achieved 1080lines of motion resolution by doubling the frames even more called 200hz motion flow but again with soap opera effect+input lag,now in 2011 they virtually eliminated soap opera effect.

Lg has been including "truemotion" backlight scanning for many years (even in low end models) much before sony or samsung,but lg still lags behind these two when it comes to motion performance.So over time these features will make its way to low end models.

Back