Suggest a good C++ Book

montylee

Skilled
Well i read C++ in college.

Now, after 3 long years, i have completely forgotten C++ (bcoz i was working in C).

Now i am working on a COM project which requires C++ knowledge. So, i am thinking of buying a good C++ book. My requirements from the book are:

1) It should cover the basics of C++

2) It should also cover all advanced topics of C++

Some of the options are:

1) C++ complete reference: Herbert Schildt

2) The C++ Programming language: Bjarne Stroustrup (available in India?)

So, ppl help me out with this :)

1) C++ complete reference: Herbert Schildt <- If you want to start from scratch.
2) The C++ Programming language: Bjarne Stroustrup (available in India?) <-assumes you know C++ basics and starts off with advanced usage. and yes, it is very easily available in india.
3) Lafore <-was what i followed in college. quite good for fundamentals.
4) There is some c++ primer. got very good reviews.

ya lot of ppl studied Lafore in college.
Thanks Thunderbolt! BTW i have soft copies of all of them, so i'll take a look at them and then decide on which one to buy :)

Well, Herbert Schildt's stuff doesn't really impress me, and Stroustrup's is more of a reference. I have heard good stuff about the C++ blackbook, but have not read it myself.

ya KK, i want the basic C++ concepts as well as the advance concepts.

Basically i am working on COM architecture, which involves templates, namespaces, smart pointers etc...

Since you already have knowledge of C++ and into professional development work, I would suggest that you get yourself Effective C++, More Effective C++ and Effective STL rather than any of those other books.

I would also suggest you to get a book on Design Pattens by the Gang of Four. Best book on Design Pattens that I have come across.

@montylee get hold of some c++ book from coaching institute like MICE or aptech .Then go for The C++ Programming language: Bjarne Stroustrup once you are comfortable .This is a really good book .But its more advanced.

ya KK, i want the basic C++ concepts as well as the advance concepts.

Basically i am working on COM architecture, which involves templates, namespaces, smart pointers etc...

Virtual functions ,Interfaces and Inheritance are the main concepts behind com and nothing else .Just get of Essential COM by Microsoft press and you will be fine . :)

@ LORD Nemesis:you should give 'Modern c++ Design' book a try .

PS: Yahswant Katnitkars Let us c++ is a good book,but it gots many mistakes in it .:p

Well, that has confused me more!
I don't wanna buy any Microsoft book, bcoz i hate Microsoft.
I even rejected the work given to me (ActiveX using COM) in my company, but had to do it (3 months project).
I want to utilize this oppurtunity to learn C++ and then go for a new job in C/C++ in Unix!

I think the best thing would be to take a peek inside all the soft copies of these books that i have and then decide which one to buy.

okie .You want work in Linux platform using g++ compiler.then get yourself 'Professional c++ ' By Wrox publications.If I remember correct, deals using c++ from Linux point of view.There also one book called professional linux programming by wrox .
These books are good enough get you prepared on linux. I have these e-books with me.I can pm you the links tommorow .
Just remind me in case I forget .I am a very forgetful person.:p

@KingKrool
Yashwant kanetkar covers all the topics in c++ .Only techincal content is a bit wrong.:p

^^ Does it have STL? IIRC it doesn't. Or it didn't back when I made the mistake of buying it several years ago.

C++ without STL (and the associated complexities) is not C++, but merely a bastardized version of C.

@KingKrool Dont lose your cool. :p
^^I dont recommend him buying Yashwant Katenkar.I never said that in any of my posts .Infact I recommened him buying c++ Programming language: Bjarne Stroustrup.

STL is nothing but a library built using c++ .Its consists of container classes ,alogrithms and iterators.You just need to know how to use it .Rather than writing data structures like maps from sratch ,STL provides it to us .Thus elimnating our need to write this again saving time.If you dont know STL ,it does not mean you dont know c++.Since STL is a library ,you just need to know how to useit.

Back