Suggest a home Inverter/UPS

Checksum

Skilled
This is a detailed post so please bear with me.

We used to have a 850VA pure sine wave inverter with an Exide 150AH Tubular battery which conked off a couple of months ago. With the old setup, we could run 3 fans, 2-3 tubelights and a 40" LED TV for about 2-2.5 hours without issues. Also, my PC was backed up by the inverter with a spike buster in between. When the power goes off, the switch over was so quick that the PC would still keep working (much like an UPS). I never felt the need to purchase a dedicated UPS so far.

After it went bust, my father purchased the replacement in a hurry, which isn't working out well. He got a Microtek 875VA inverter connected to a 135AH Exide battery. Now this inverter isn't sine wave and so when the power goes off, my PC restarts. I also have my seagate dockstar, a couple of external HDDs, modem and wifi router plugged into it is. So its a big headache when the power goes off as all these switch off or restart. Instead of buying a separate UPS just for these, I was thinking I could sell off the old one and get a pure sine wave inverter which would hopefully solve the problem.

My questions:

1) Is my understanding of the situation correct? Is the switch over seamless in a sine wave inverter?

2) I am looking at the APC BI850SINE UPS to replace the Microtek one. But I'm keeping the same battery. Is this a good option? Is APC worth the premium you end up paying over other brands like Sukam, etc?

Any input on this appreciated!

I think the delay in switch-over is happening not because of the UPS being a non-sinewave model. I have Microtek SWE2 875VA UPS and the switchover is prompt- LCD TV, HTiB and even our desktop computer don't re-start during the switchover.
At the back of the UPS, you'll find a switch to toggle between inverter and UPS mode. Try setting it in the mode it currently is not in and then see whether any delay in switchover is happening.

For the sensitive equipment you are powering, a pure-sinewave UPS is a must. Try getting one at the earliest. APC is one of the trusted brands in the market.

On a side note, if you plan to only power your computer, the existing modified sinewave inverter may be continued with. For the LCD TV, a modified sinewave inverter is an absolute no!

I went out and bought the APC inverter the very next day. Thank God the LED or computer are still OK. I guess the premium is worth the peace of mind!

Back