Suggest a laptop - home use

techie_007

Skilled
So a friend is looking for a normal laptop for home usage.

Budget isnt that much of an issue, say 50k? Usage will be just around the house, so a big screen would actually be preferable here.

Hes had bad experiences with Compaq/Thinkpads, especially with trips to service centers, so hes partial to Dell now due to their on-site response.

Suggest models please :)

@karthi007 @shivamrockz07 @wishmaster.dj: Thanks. I guess I will ask him to check out both the inspiron and the studio laptops for looks etc. Can get a basic version with i3 accordingly.

@djmykey: Service is important to him, + the timelines seem seriously underpowered if someone wants to multitask/HD viewing etc.

techie_007 said:
@djmykey: Service is important to him, + the timelines seem seriously underpowered if someone wants to multitask/HD viewing etc.

Well I have a IBM R60 (ancient laptop) with a dual core proccy and I added 2GB RAM to the existing 512 MB RAM. HD multitasking all works properly without any issues.. The Timeline series have a Core 2 Solo proccy.. dunno what is that... are they so bad ? Check the other laptops also from Acer if the Timeline series doesn't impress them..

techie_007 said:
So a friend is looking for a normal laptop for home usage.

That does not quite clarify what the usage might be :p

Assuming its "light" usage (web browsing, some regular HD movies etc, hardly any 3d gaming) why not look at one of the many AMD Athlon Neo or Intel Core2 Duo CULV (SUxxxx model) low voltage dual cores like the MSI x340 or Dell Inspiron 14z or something from HP? Should be well under 50k too!

Since these CPUs are kind of new, your friend could wait a couple of months for new model ranges to show up, if not from Dell, then other well known brands...

edit: yes, i think the new ULV intels are called Core i3 now I believe... pretty sweet stuff...

Oh I thot latest Intel website has the new Core i3 ones listed which are 10w tdp... gotta love the new branding by Intel

Just for basic use, why spending much ?. Just go for the MSI cr400x T8300 core2duo which retails for 29k. I am using it and its great going. It comes with webcam, geforce 8200 onboard, 2gb ram. card reader, 802.11n , BT , 250gb hdd, etc. But the screen is only 14". There are also 15" models available. I think you could go for the cr500x or any 15" model. find out...

Back