Suggest a "lightweight " OS for netbook

anish_sha

Skilled
Hi,

I ahve a old sony netbook having Atom Processor 1.83 ghz 2Gb DDR2 ram , Suggest me a Lightweight OS for this preferably a windows and a linux

Linux mint if you want GUI support otherwise archlinux also you can try puppy Linux very light weight but don't have much features

Was using Crunchbang and installed Bunsenlabs Hydrogen few weeks back. Its the community fork of Crunchbang - http://www.bunsenlabs.org/

I have this on Asus netbook which I use once in a while and also have the 64bit version on my desktop. Have been using since 2013 and can say that it just lets me do what I want. Simple UI and debian stability.

you could also try Lubuntu and ubuntu mate. Last time I tried lubuntu on a PIII. initially it would lag but when properly booted up it was snappy

I think any version of Linux you try will be fast enough. You'll have to choose a desktop environment that's lightweight, and only install the packages you need.
Download any major distro - Debian/Fedora/SUSE, and try out KDE/GNOME/XFCE/MATE/Cinnamon/Enlightenment.
Choose the one you like best, and uninstall the rest.

if I remember correctly they recommend using a drive with greater than 21 Mbps speed. You usb pen drive might not meet the requirement

Back