Suggest a phone in the range of 7-8K

sriganesh

Disciple
Till now I am using a Nokia phone (do not know the model, it has been long time I bought it!!) with just basic calling and messaging specifications. Now, I would like to go for a better phone. My requirements are wide display, touch screen, optimal camera with/without flash, along with blue tooth and wifi connectivity. I would like to surf the net and watch videos/movies also. I would also want to view documents (word, excel, pdf). I am not much aware of the technicalities of cellphones and their uses and am just now learning the ways to use a mobile apart from the basic function of calling. Please suggest me a good phone.

Questions:-
1. Q: Budget?
A: 7-8k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No particular preference except disinclied to Nokia. Also no Micromax, Spice etc.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required at minimum 3MP camera. If possible with autofocus and Flash, but not compulsory

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: No preference.

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, Wifi

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, internet, would like to see videos and movies

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Single SIM phones only, no dual sim

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Samsung 525, Samsung Monte with the little research I did.

If you want 3G and Wifi both, and a good camera too then go for this:

Nokia C5-03:

1. Snappy 600MHz Processor

2. Extremely customisable S60v5 OS

3. Wifi, 3G

4. 3.2" touchscreen (resistive, but does better than other el-cheapo QVGA capacitive, they look downright ugly) at a 640x360 brilliant resolution

5. 5MP cam(sorry no flash)

Price is 9k and worth it bro.

Wave 525 has no 3G. Monte is outdated dumbphone.

I'll suggest Samsung Wave 575 or Nokia C5-03 if you purchase offline.

If you purchase online from Letsbuy.com using discount coupon "RCOMLSB", you can get the Wave 723, Galaxy Pop or LG Optimus One.

The coupon expires tomorrow. So hurry.

LG Optimus P350 - 8.5k market price but if u buy using rcomlsb coupon from letsbuy.com then it comes around to 7.5k

Android 2.2

600mhz CPU

140mb Ram

1500 mah battery

Rest all same specs as LG P500

After doing some more research and going through previous threads in this forum, I found out that Samsung wave 723, LG Optimus ONE, and Dell XCD 35 are available for around 8500 in letsbuy, and each of the above has their own advantages,
Samsung Wave 723 -- 5 MP Camera with LED Flash
LG Optimus ONE --- Android 2.2, can be upgraded to 2.3
Dell XCD 35 --- Good resolution and bigger display.

I am as such not one who does a lot with applications and utilize them, so I do not think if I would benefit from Android that well (correct me if I am wrong)

I am incling towards Samsung Wave 723, as it has a good camera with LED Flash and a good display with resolution. I would like to know from someone if the camera of wave 723 is good so that we can favor wave 723 over an android phone OR whether android and processor of LG has a distinct advantage over a gain of 2 MP of camera performance with LED flash in wave 723. I hope I have made my point clear.

I feel its unfair to ask our mobiles to do everything. If Camera and flash is not your main requirement, LG optimus P500 should be a very good bet.

For the simple reason that it has android, you can spend good time exploring your device. and yes alot of apps compared to wave

Camera is ok ok, i can see decent pics during day light, but that camera is not my concerns.

If Camera is your strong need, then stay away from Android devices below 10K.

sriganesh said:
After doing some more research and going through previous threads in this forum, I found out that Samsung wave 723, LG Optimus ONE, and Dell XCD 35 are available for around 8500 in letsbuy, and each of the above has their own advantages,

Samsung Wave 723 -- 5 MP Camera with LED Flash

LG Optimus ONE --- Android 2.2, can be upgraded to 2.3

Dell XCD 35 --- Good resolution and bigger display.

I am as such not one who does a lot with applications and utilize them, so I do not think if I would benefit from Android that well (correct me if I am wrong)

I am incling towards Samsung Wave 723, as it has a good camera with LED Flash and a good display with resolution. I would like to know from someone if the camera of wave 723 is good so that we can favor wave 723 over an android phone OR whether android and processor of LG has a distinct advantage over a gain of 2 MP of camera performance with LED flash in wave 723. I hope I have made my point clear.

avoid wave, trust me, been there done that(unless its the flagship, then its worth something)

and its display resolution is the lowest among all the phones you mentioned

Points noted sir(s). But since I am not one that will be spending time on mobile with different applications, I thought that I can trade the “android factor” in a mobile for a better camera in the same price range. So, any mobile that you can think of. My requirements are good camera, good touch screen, good display, good browsing capabilities, office functionality, nice to see videos. OS i think will be secondary. I can stretch the budget to around 10K.

Dark angel……found that C5-03 has resistive touch screen. Will there be any difference in display (viewing point of view) from resistive to capacitative touch screens OR the difference is only while operating the phone (the touch factor) and not viewing it.

sriharsha said:
Dark angel... is C5-03 is better than E5?
You can compare an E5 to a BB but not to a C5-03, both are of a different class. One is keypad qwerty business, whereas the other is general multimedia phone.

sriganesh said:
Dark angel……found that C5-03 has resistive touch screen. Will there be any difference in display (viewing point of view) from resistive to capacitative touch screens OR the difference is only while operating the phone (the touch factor) and not viewing it.
viewing depends on the display type not touchscreen type please dont confuse the two.

resistive is limited to single touch, and works on pressure principle. whereas a capacitive screen is multi-touch capable(2-touch in these phones) and works on the principle of conduction, since your body is a good conductor(please dont ask me to explain, it's a bit long). And thats why if you try touching a capacitive touchscreen with your nail, there wont be any response,

Personally, Nokia's resistive touch screen's are the BEST in class. Their screen has the highest resolution at that price, and the features you get are really unbeatable.

sriganesh said:
C5-03 has a very good screen and it is overall a very good phone. The only thing that goes against it is the Resistive nature of touch screen.

Resistive types need some pressure to be applied on the surface, whereas capacitive ones respond to slightest of the touch. Try using both types (friend's phones) and then buy according to your preference.

One more thing to note is that C5-03 has a fixed focus camera. distant pics will come good but the close ones may be out of focus (blurred). This won't be good in some situations like when you have to take snaps of some notes as the text ( i copy all assignments from frns like that ;) ) will look blurry hence unreadable.

If you're okay with above cons then C5-03 will be ideal for you.

Otherwise consider Optimus 1 :)

Back