Suggest a smartphone phone to replace my nokia 5800

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Hello Everyone,
I was thinking of changing my Phone. My trusted nokia 5800 is 2.5yrs old but still going strong. But, I want a new phone. there! I said it. so please help me out :p

anyways, requirements are

* Good camera
* Any Smartphone OS except Symbian platform
* Should have a large screen & good looks
* cost should around Rs10k but budget is flexible
* Can buy in India or import it from US. have a guy coming from there

1) I was thinking of getting Samsung focus(do let me if you know some good deals), it a good idea?
2) suggestions in similar price range?

Since you are okay with importing from US I assume you are not that much worried about manufacturer warranty.. So I would recommend you to buy SE Xperia Pro (Not Mini Pro)..
It is available around 13.5 in Ebay with dealer warranty (Not from Sony but from the dealer you buy from) and you can get it for less if you have coupons.. If you buy from a power seller like this with 100 percent positive feedback, warranty shouldn't be a problem too..

For 13.5 k (or less if you have coupon) you get a phone with QWERTY Keyboard, Nice screen, Good audio quality, Decent 8MP camera, and latest Android version (ICS 4.0.4) too..
It is way better than anything you can get at this price point..

You can check GSMArena Review here..

My friend has Focus.. It is very nice phone too and Windows Phone 7 is beautiful.. But there are many restrictions which you will have to live with.. There is no USB mass storage support.. You need Zune to transfer everything.. Sorting and searching Music files is very difficult if they don't have proper metadata (Like song title, Album name, Artist etc).. It supports only MP4 and WMV videos, JPEG photos and MP3, M4A, WMA audio.. You cant store any other file on the phone.. Zune wont recognize other formats at all.. If you have to upload documents, you have to mail it yourself from PC and then download on the phone via internet.. No bluetooth file transfer etc etc..
If you can live with these restrictions, you can give it a try too...

But Xperia Pro is as good as it gets at 13k..

Okay, I have decided to get a Samsung focus. what is the right price for it?

My friend has Focus.. It is very nice phone too and Windows Phone 7 is beautiful
Well, thing is. I have used Android,iOS,Symbian, webOS & bada but haven't tried Windows Phone 7. So want to try it, the the Metro UI attracts me. And restricted are bad but on other hand, I have heard Focus has a good camera & brilliant OLED display. so its kinda a tradeoff. Just hoping it won't be much of a tradeoff

That was very long ago when I was lucky & dollar prices were like 50.50-51.00 INR. Now I am not that lucky :(

BIN prices will be bit high always. So start bidding, may be you get lucky. You may get it around 8K [including shipping & all]

Please make sure you are bidding on good seller. Recently someone I know bought one focus & had paid around 8.5K. And the mobile is complete dead. He tried flashing, changing battery etc etc. No luck at all.

That was very long ago when I was lucky & dollar prices were like 50.50-51.00 INR. Now I am not that lucky :(
BIN prices will be bit high always. So start bidding, may be you get lucky. You may get it around 8K [including shipping & all]
Yes, would start bidding from today :hap2:

Please make sure you are bidding on good seller. Recently someone I know bought one focus & had paid around 8.5K. And the mobile is complete dead. He tried flashing, changing battery etc etc. No luck at all.
If something like that happens, can't we return it? paypal provides some protection on this?

Since you are okay with importing from US I assume you are not that much worried about manufacturer warranty.. So I would recommend you to buy SE Xperia Pro (Not Mini Pro)..
It is available around 13.5 in Ebay with dealer warranty (Not from Sony but from the dealer you buy from) and you can get it for less if you have coupons.. If you buy from a power seller like this with 100 percent positive feedback, warranty shouldn't be a problem too..

For 13.5 k (or less if you have coupon) you get a phone with QWERTY Keyboard, Nice screen, Good audio quality, Decent 8MP camera, and latest Android version (ICS 4.0.4) too..
It is way better than anything you can get at this price point..

You can check GSMArena Review here..

My friend has Focus.. It is very nice phone too and Windows Phone 7 is beautiful.. But there are many restrictions which you will have to live with.. There is no USB mass storage support.. You need Zune to transfer everything.. Sorting and searching Music files is very difficult if they don't have proper metadata (Like song title, Album name, Artist etc).. It supports only MP4 and WMV videos, JPEG photos and MP3, M4A, WMA audio.. You cant store any other file on the phone.. Zune wont recognize other formats at all.. If you have to upload documents, you have to mail it yourself from PC and then download on the phone via internet.. No bluetooth file transfer etc etc..
If you can live with these restrictions, you can give it a try too...

But Xperia Pro is as good as it gets at 13k..

This is an EXCELLENT deal. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

If there are any more such deals, do share

Back