Storage Solutions Suggest a SSD for Dummies

cybermaniac

Recruit
Hi everyone,

I have been using mechanical hard drives since the beginning. Although I am aware of what SSD's are and how they are much better than the mechanical ones. But except this I know nothing more about them.
Actually I am replacing the hard drive on my dell laptop. So I thought now this would be the best time to try out one.

Now since I know nothing about them and about their market . I want your help in suggesting me a good SSD for replacement in my laptop. I know there are many in the market to choose from but I don't know which would be the best for me. I don't want to spend much on them. Storage capacity is not my main priority. But yeah Quality, Speed and Economical is what I prefer.

Also is that true that you can use the same laptop SSD in your desktop PC as well?. If yes, then it would be amazing as I could use it later when I would ditch the old laptop.
And one last thing. Do the SSD's also come in variants like internal one and external one. If yes, then can I use the internal one as external by placing it in any casing? like I currently do for the mechanical ones.​

Looking forward to the help from the community.

Thank You

You should specify your budget to get proper recommendations.
This is a good alternative for starters if you plan on ditching the laptop in the future and use the SSD only for your OS and apps on the PC. - http://www.onlyssd.com/shop/samsung-ssd/samsung-750-evo-120gb-ssd/
If you are a gamer you should look for 250gig SSD's at least, in this case you can opt for the tried and tested 850 EVO - http://www.onlyssd.com/shop/samsung-ssd/samsung-850-evo-250gb-ssd/

Also is that true that you can use the same laptop SSD in your desktop PC as well?

Yes, no problem at all if you buy standard SSD's. You'll just have to spend some money on an SSD mounting kit if your case doesn't have 2.5 inch bays.

And one last thing. Do the SSD's also come in variants like internal one and external one. If yes, then can I use the internal one as external by placing it in any casing?

Yes, manufacturers sell internal and external SKU's but you can slap one in an enclosure yourself.

Don't almost all the SSDs now a days come with 2.5inch to 3.5 inch brackets for mounting?

I think it's the other way around, they've stopped giving one because new PC cases can accomodate 2.5 drives.
They used to provide a flimsy one at least but 2 of my last 3 SSD purchases didn't come with one, you can always check before buying.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!!:smile:
But why most of you are suggesting SAMSUNG? what about other brands?

Also which is the best : -
3DV-NAND vs TLC NAND vs MLC NAND.....?

And is it worth to choose expensive 850EVO 120GB over cheaper 750EVO 120GB?

Thanks to all for your suggestions!![emoji2]

Also which is the best : -
3DV-NAND vs TLC NAND vs MLC NAND.....?

3DV Nand.

Faqs about various SSD technologies:http://www.speedguide.net/faq/slc-mlc-or-tlc-nand-for-solid-state-drives-406

SLC, MLC, TLC, and 3D V-Nand are variations of flash memory used in consumer and enterprise solid state drives. Samsung, Intel, and Micron are researching and developing other variations.

Last edited:

Easy availability, longer warranty periods, reliable drives and good ASS, Samsung's the way to go these days.

The 750 is the budget oriented one they launched late last year iirc, the 850 has been around for quite some time, it's better than the 750 in every aspect and also has a 5 year warranty period compared to 3 years for the 750.
Like I've already mentioned it's better to mention your budget to get proper recommendations.

Depends on your budget. I have bought both Intel and Samsung SSDs and find the Samsung to be faster than Intel.

Coming to 750 vs 850, I would avoid the 750 unless on a budget.

First ask yourself whether you really need an SSD. Especially since you're gonna install it in your laptop which I assume isn't gonna be used for gaming (or the type of gaming which would benefit from an SSD).
Even in games, the biggest benefit of SSDs is seen in load time reductions, nothing else.

If your usage doesn't require too much heavy lifting, the only improvement you'll notice is a 1 second Windows load time (after a 5 second POST :p).

I am not trying to put down SSDs, but I get the impression you're getting one simply for the novelty factor.
Once that wears off, you will be wondering whether getting one 240GB SSD for the price of two 1TB HDDs was the best thing to do.

First ask yourself whether you really need an SSD. Especially since you're gonna install it in your laptop which I assume isn't gonna be used for gaming (or the type of gaming which would benefit from an SSD).
Even in games, the biggest benefit of SSDs is seen in load time reductions, nothing else.

If your usage doesn't require too much heavy lifting, the only improvement you'll notice is a 1 second Windows load time (after a 5 second POST :p).

I am not trying to put down SSDs, but I get the impression you're getting one simply for the novelty factor.
Once that wears off, you will be wondering whether getting one 240GB SSD for the price of two 1TB HDDs was the best thing to do.

+1. Unless you need the speed, its not worth it, especially if all you do is basic stuff. However, once you put a SSD, and go back to HDDs, you will know what you are going to miss :p

Back