Camera Suggest a VFM Camcorder upto 15k

thexfactor

Insanely Awesome!!
Skilled
Guys, I'm looking to get a cheap camcorder with decent features within a budget of 15k, if thats possible :ashamed:

I'm confused between the ones based on miniDV, HDD and Flash technologies, which one is recommended ?? ease of use is necessary along with good enough video quality, would ideally prefer one which could allow me to access the video directly through USB.

There are a few available on ebay, I would generally prefer Sony, but open to other options, any particular recommendations ??

I have a Sony camcorder (model DCR SR45E), and it is very easy to use & is Hard disk based. The video quality is quite decent. I am quite satisfied with its performance. The ebay deal for it is sweet too.

I would definitely recommend hard-disk based camcorders, as it would save expenses on media like discs and DV cassettes. Both hard-disk and flash based camcorders would provide an USB interface to access videos.

thanks for those links guys but those prices are with dealer warranty, and the dealer is from Chennai, so in case of a prob I've ship all the way to Chennai :(

anyway how reliable are the HDD's inside these cams, what chances of them crashing :p

Just checked with Sr47e with Alfa it's available for 16k but without warranty, still saves about 6k ... worth it ??

@dennis_nail : How good/bad is the low light performance ??

There's a Mumbai dealer on eBay with a very good rating selling the Sr47e for 15975/-.

You get the 1 year dealer warranty over Alfa.

Also, you can use a coupon to lower the price further !

So for a price lower than Alfa, you get warranty too !

thexfactor said:
@dennis_nail : How good/bad is the low light performance ??

In low light, the video quality is strictly OK. I would not really recommend these models for low-light recordings. But in daylight or well-lit environments the quality is good.

I have been using my camcorder for 2 years now, and it has been working flawlessly. Although hard disk should last long (unless you drop the camcorder), there is a chance of failure as in case of any electronic component. Looking at dealer warranty on ebay deals, I would suggest it is better to go for local deals (unless you are feeling lucky!)

The dealer seems to be from Lamington itself, so shouldn't be much prob, will try and contact him directly first. If something goes wrong, how easy and expensive is it to get it repaired ??

thanx for the info :)

Repairing any out-of-warranty electronic device is always costly. And in case of Sony, the original parts are insanely priced. But in most cases you will be able to use the device without any issues for at least 3-4 years (if you do not use it very roughly). Only if you are very unlucky you might get into trouble. But then with these deals, you are taking a calculated risk. Because original Sony ones (I got one from) I suppose retail for at least 8K more (but they come with 3 years warranty).

Thanks for all the input guys, finally got the Panasonic H80 :D

It's got 10X more zoom and OIS over the sony, but apart from that, a few videos I tried the Panasonic seemed to be better than the SR47e.

Was also considering the Canon FS200, which seemed to have the best video quality among the 3 but failed short on the zoom and since it didn't feature a internal HDD, adding a high capacity card would have meant additional costs.

Both Sony and Panasonic were 16k odd w/o bill warranty and around 22k with 3yr warranty. Canon was 18k with 2yr warranty.

In all I paid 16k + 475 (for the case logic pouch), got it from Alfa.

thexfactor said:
Both Sony and Panasonic were 16k odd w/o bill warranty and around 22k with 3yr warranty. Canon was 18k with 2yr warranty.

In all I paid 16k + 475 (for the case logic pouch), got it from Alfa.

Congrats ! Nice purchase ! :)
Didn't realize about the extra zoom and OIS on the H80 until you pointed it out !
Buying one this week, might go for the same !

Back