Suggest Dual Band Router

shashank_r_t

Disciple
Hi All,

My current Linksys router is creating problems for me due to slow speed and frequent disconnections. Hence planning for a dual band router.

Budget - 4 - 6K
Gigabit Ports Absolutely essential (Need to connect NAS box)
Dual Band (2.4 & 5Ghz preferred)
USB ports preferred
Torrent Downloading preferred

Following Devices will connect to the network:

Wireless:
Laptop (B/G but can be upgraded to N)
Motorola Defy (N)
Xtreamer (N)
Ipod Touch (B/G)
Nokia 5800

Ethernet: (Reason for Gigabit Ports)
IOmega IConnect (Allows connecting HDDS to network - NAS)
Buffalo 500 GB Linkstation Live (NAS)
MY PC

Based on my search I have found following:
Belkin Play Max

Cisco Linksys E2000

D-Link DIR-825 Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router

Linksys WRT610N Simultaneos Dual N Band Wireless Router

Cisco-Linksys E4200

Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual Band N+ Router

Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR3700)

I am in favour of Belkin Playmax (as its closest to my budget) . But have not got favourable reviews.
Please suggest if any other alternatives exists... Thanks

~Shashank

From your list, I've only used the WRT610N and can tell you that it's one amazing router! I wouldn't recommend the E2000 because it's dual band and not simultaneous dual band. The difference is that with a dual band router, you can use either the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz frequency at a time, whereas with a simultaneous dual band router, you get to use both frequencies simulatenously. I'm currently using an E3000, which is basically just a re-named WRT610N. The E3000 retails for around 7k now, I think. The E4200 also looks good, but can't really comment on it's performance.

e2000 doesnt have a usb port

but is a damn good router

very stable

doesnt have simultaneous as Edrill commented

No torrenting so i presume will be out of your list

Try E3000 with ddwrt you can dial your 3g/evdo modems from it after ddwrt

so dial connection , torrenting on hdd on usb port

power saver pack ...

I think WRT610N and e3000 are cross flashable just check

they are basically same just the difference of nvram of 32 and 64

@Edrill & Kuduku.. Thanks afor ur replies :)

Now the router list is reduced to 4 routers

NetGear wndr3700 - Approx 8K
Belkin Play Max Approx 5.7 K
Linksys WRT610N - Approx 7.3K
Linksys E3000 - Approx 8.2 K

Now the thing is... all the above routers have more or less similar features. But all the routers except Play max are costlier by 1.5 to 2.5 K

Also the not so good reviews of Belkin Playmax were supposedly due to buggy firmware (as both Linksys & Belkin have similar chipsets)

Today I got this link on DD-WRT .. seems Belkin Play max is supported.

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Guys plz.. correct me if required ... but doesnt it make sense to buy Belkin at 5.8 K and flash DD-WRT rather than spending the 1.5 - 2K extra... or the performance is really good in case of linksys?

Cheers,
Shashank

Honestly, I can't say anything about the Belkin unit? I've been using Linksys for ages now. The main reason why I'm happy with them is that I can run DD-WRT on it!!! I've got my E3000 connected to a 1TB external HDD and have it set up to download torrents directly on the HDD and share it across the network. Works pretty well. Haven't had a problem with this setup in nearly two years. Got it running with a WRT610N and later swapped out the router for an E3000. Didn't have to reconfigure anything since they are both essentially the same router. Instead of the E3000, see if you can find a WRT610N. Same router, just different branding. You may end up getting the WRT610N cheaper too.

who says e3000 is so expensive ???

even if you buy this from indian seller no warranty

so please check

its available for quite less

Edrill said:
Honestly, I can't say anything about the Belkin unit? I've been using Linksys for ages now. The main reason why I'm happy with them is that I can run DD-WRT on it!!! I've got my E3000 connected to a 1TB external HDD and have it set up to download torrents directly on the HDD and share it across the network. Works pretty well. Haven't had a problem with this setup in nearly two years. Got it running with a WRT610N and later swapped out the router for an E3000. Didn't have to reconfigure anything since they are both essentially the same router. Instead of the E3000, see if you can find a WRT610N. Same router, just different branding. You may end up getting the WRT610N cheaper too.
Yep.. agree that Linksys is better known brand... but unfortunately I have been having not so good experience with my Linksys G router... the wireless hangs once or twice every 3-4 days and I have to restart the router.. Still i am open for Linksys if I get a good deal on E3000 :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

kuduku said:
who says e3000 is so expensive ???
even if you buy this from indian seller no warranty
so please check
its available for quite less
I have not checked actual market rates.. but its listed at 8.1K at prime

Buy Linksys | Linksys E3000 Wireless N router | Linksys Router in India

Besides.. I have checked ebay rates just for reference... not planning to buy from Ebay unless I have some vouchers...

BTW any idea of the approx street price of E3000

sumit.sol said:
using belkin playmax...bought for 5400/ np delhi..working good till day..bought in may 2011 :)
I ahve seen review on the net that Playmax tends to drop speed as router's uptime increases... is it true or is it total BS...

How is your experience with Playmax
And can u plz let me know the torrent performance and which client is bundled with it coz I read in reviews that Vuze is the frontend for the torrent.
Can we access torrent using any other frontend? (Vuze == crap :()

TIA,
Shashank

Why are Gigabit ports absolutely necessary for NAS box connections?

I am planning to buy Netgear WNDR3400, which has everything that WNDR3700 has, apart from Gigabit ethernet ports. It also has USB port to attach a hard drive to be shared over the network.

akshay7g said:
Netgear WNDR3700v2 refurb available here for $70. Should cost you 4.6k via shopabroad.

Refurb WNDR3700v1 for $62.99.

New WNDR3700v1 for $67.99.

Maximum PC | Router Roundup: We Review 7 Top-Tier Routers - Page 3

dark_horizon said:
Why are Gigabit ports absolutely necessary for NAS box connections?

I am planning to buy Netgear WNDR3400, which has everything that WNDR3700 has, apart from Gigabit ethernet ports. It also has USB port to attach a hard drive to be shared over the network.

Obviously for better transfer speeds via LAN (NAS network).

Dual Band means they can use both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz band. Main use is for those who need speeds on wifi. So the 2.4 can be use for internet traffic while the 5 ghz for high speed lan.

Back