Suggest good 2.0/2.1 Speakers for Movies and Gaming

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Looking for a decent and compact 2.0 (preferably) or 2.1 speaker system for Movies and gaming.

Let me make it clear that this is not going to be used for any sort of music.

The speakers are exclusively going to be used for movies and gaming on occasions when I don't want to/cannot use my headphones. They would be driven by my X-Fi Titanium and I would prefer it if they can work well with virtual surround technologies like CMSS3D.

Max budget is 7k. The lower the better.

I am also looking for a 2.0 solution, started a thread for it here: http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/best-small-high-performance-speakers-set-184909.html

Although my requirements are pretty different from yours but I think you can look at this one T40 series II for 7760 - Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 Multimedia (Rs. 7706), as suggested by another member (http://www.techenclave.com/members/zhopudey.html)

And though, I guess a 2.1 system might be better for you, I just wanted to help.

Strongly recommend a Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra MX 6021. Will come in ur budget and a super 2.1 for movies and gaming at home!

^^ Too large and the reviews say its not worth the price.

I am basically trying to replace my 5.1 Altec Lansing's which don't work anymore. I am looking for compact system (preferebly a 2.0) because I live in flat now and short on space as well as don't want to put a sub woofer on the floor as it can disturb the people downstairs.

How does the Altec Lansing FX3022AA fare?

Don't go in for AL 4121.

May be okay for the price but boomy bass is a real deal breaker. I bought it without an audition and not very satisfied since it does not suit my taste. Even while watching a movie I have to keep the bass knob right at 0 to get proper clarity. Therefor I'm actually thinking of getting a new set and selling this one off in the near future.

Lord Nemesis said:
How does the Altec Lansing FX3022AA fare?

Plasticky at best!

1. I am not sure how a non-down firing sub is gonna disturb your neighbors?

2. Let go of the abhor for musical speakers. If a speaker is good for music it can very well be tuned to accommodate any other needs (my perspective and could be highly subjective :))

With this in mind I'd go ahead and recommend the Swans M10 or the Edifier C3.

Quoting from an earlier post of mine..

Go ahead with Swans M10 setup.

1) From whatever i been reading, they are pretty good for that price.

2) These look good and have impressed nearly everybody. At 5.5k, seems to be well within the range.

[Review: Swan M10]

I had mailed the ^^ site handlers and both have been gushing about the speakers. Sadly they cudnt compare it with the MX 5021 but they were ready to adopt a Swan after hearing these speakers. Attached below is the response i got from one of the site handler:-

In short, I haven't heard the Altecs. What I can tell you is there are few computer speakers that can deliver the quality of bass that the Swans do. However, it is a very different style of bass, it can be heard, but not felt like a lot of traditional subwoofers. Treble-wise these are about as good as it gets in terms of accuracy for the price point. If you demand a bigger, lower and less directional bass, I'd recommend Logitech's Z-2300. I tend to think the detail on the Swan's is better, but there is no denying the volume or thump that the Logitechs have.

Also, Dark Star provided me with the following info:

1) Dealer for Swans M10:-

Pro-Med Instruments (P) Ltd.,Home Theater

Add: 9/1, 18th Avenue,Ashok Nagar,Chennai-600 083

Tel: 0091-44-42132295/42142295 Fax: 0091-44-42010488

2) They are 5.5k shipped.

(btw.. Serious lack of 2.1 system or is TE dozing off on this dept .. ? )

However, it is a very different style of bass, it can be heard, but not felt like a lot of traditional subwoofers

Interesting.. That is sort of what I want. Bass is traditionally 'felt' rather than 'heard' and that was why I was skeptical about getting a 2.1. I don't want bass that can be felt by me and even more by the people down stairs. I guess these fit my requirements and within my budget.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ok, I got in touch with Pro Med today. They don't have the Swans M10 in stock. Instead they are offering me the Swans M12 for 7.5k. I looked them up and the general impression is not positive.

Hey any updates? My requirements are almost identical to yours and even im stuck on which speakers to choose. I knew I should have just bought the MX5021 when they were available :(

Guy's, bumping up this thread again. Since Swans M10 is not available anymore and no other options seem to fit my needs, I have extended my options to all 2.1 and 5.1 systems within my budget. I guess I can live with a Sub Woofer as long as the bass is adjustable.

I want opinions on these

- Edifier C2 (2.1)

- Edifier S330 (2.1)

- Edifier C3 (2.1)

- Creative T6200 (5.1)

Also suggest any other 5.1/2.1 systems that fall within my budget (I was especially surprised to see there are no decent budget 5.1's anymore.)

Again the importance is more on reasonable quality and balanced sound over the entire range than on one end of the spectrum like extremely boomy room shaking bass or ear piercing treble. Also one more important factor is the weight and size of the sub woofer. I don't want anything that is too large or too heavy. 10~12Kg would be ideal. So even Edifier C3 is kinda stretching the limit on the size and weight.

Edifier has stopped the C2 and replaced it by C2 plus (which actually is more powerful than c3 itself).

But C2 available in the local markets though ~ 3.2K

C2 plus not available.

In current situation my vote among your listed choices would go to S330.

Back