Skilled
Hi,

I need a webcam o_O
Budget: 1.5-4k
Requirement:
HD - 720 or 1080
Built-in-Mic [excellent quality]

USE:
To be used with Skype; GTalk etc - for my family. This will be installed on my 3770k system. I have a 2/4Mbps (day/night) connection at home.

I have not used a webcam in well over 8 years, so am not aware of which brand is the best or even requirements. We do not want a "headphone with mic" as very often there would be 1 or more persons for the webcam conversation. Now, would this setup suffice for my needs & I need sound output to come from my external speakers.

Why HD : future proof + at times to use for home videos.

Initially (and for most times), I would want to communicate with them through my cellphone 3G using skype etc.
i.e: Cellphone (skype/3G) -> PC

Model under consideration: Logitech Pro 9000 ~ 3699/-
(other models also pulled up above from FK for comparision)

Thanks
Terry

I am using Logitech C310 HD webcam (1.5k). Its very good considering its price, and i expect the other cams in this range to be excellent as well. Decide a budget, and choose the best one which fits.

Spend 1k more and get the Logitech C920. Have it on my office desktop. Has a carl zeiss lens and stunning video quality.

lol... it's 1.3k more :greedy: . The 9000 pro also has carl zeiss. Nevertheless I shall look into it (the h.264 encoding apart from a few other things is an advantage) :drowning:

I am using Logitech C310 HD webcam (1.5k). Its very good considering its price, and i expect the other cams in this range to be excellent as well. Decide a budget, and choose the best one which fits.
comparision of all three on FK
comparision of all three on Logitech

My budget is flexible. How is the "built-in-mic"- does it pick up voices from say 3-6 feet away ? Looks like it's ONLY logitech that rules the scene out here :oops: Why have Sony, Samsung, Nikon, Canon etc not come out ever with webcams ?

Need some Clarifications:
1. If the above Webcam user on the PC has kept settings at 720/1080, then at the other end I on say (Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos on 3G) .... if there are bandwidth issues owing to my location....would I face "reception" issues - buffering/streaming? What needs to be done in such a situation - Does the PC user have to lower their resolution settings or Does the receiver (samsung cellphone) have to lower their settings ???

2. If broadcast & reception is kept at 720p - then what is roughly the data bandwidth consumption for a 10 min conversation on 3G (i.e: how many MB gets consumed?)
Does lowering the resolution settings on the cellphone also reduce the data consumed ?
(I dunno if I got things right above ..... hope you guys get the gist.... this is a first time experience for me :()

^^If you are using skype, it'll manage bandwidth automatically and throttle the bitrate/quality based on available bandwidth.

However with 3G streaming, even 480p will be hard - especially considering how bad our 3g networks are.

Microsoft live cams are as good as Logitech

Used them both so check Microsoft.
They do.pick up voices from 5 feet away as well

^^If you are using skype, it'll manage bandwidth automatically and throttle the bitrate/quality based on available bandwidth.

However with 3G streaming, even 480p will be hard - especially considering how bad our 3g networks are.

I will most likely be using 3G in Malaysia (if all goes well :angelic:), I will be there for some time on work. I heard that their 3G network is very good.

How is the auto focusing feature - esp when there are two (or more) persons in front & not on the same plane [i.e. the 2nd person is 2-3 feet away from the 1st person]
Turning off auto-focus lets you fix the webcam on specific people seated further away, perhaps around a conference table or on a living room couch, though the distant focus maxes out at roughly five feet; you'll want to move the webcam closer in larger rooms.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400114,00.asp
Is the above then the best solution.

Is there a way for me to find out an answer to my question#02 - 'How much data (roughly) would a 10 min chat on skype consume' ?

Microsoft live cams are as good as Logitech

Used them both so check Microsoft.
They do.pick up voices from 5 feet away as well

Thanks, good to hear other opinions.

This site lists the Logitech C920 as #01 webcam in their 'Top 10 Webcams'[DOUBLEPOST=1373646351][/DOUBLEPOST]Placed an order from FK for Logitech HD Pro C920 & got a cash back of Rs 592/- (valid only for today).... so final price is Rs 5323/- [listed price 5915/-]

Thanks @Chaos .... now delivery should be done by Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Chaos ..... I am quoting verbatim my response from the other thread (as delivery of both these products are further delayed)

FLIPKART SUCKS .... I recd (again) 2 mails last evening telling me that -
Due to some unexpected transit related issues, there could be a delay in delivering your product by 2-3 business days.....
I have vented my anger & frustration through emails & have recd the usual 'apologetic replies'. This kind of delay has never ever happened to me ever since I started online shopping from 2004. I have also demanded a refund of Rs 400
The least FK can do is also refund me the Rs 400/- price difference that the Samsung 64Gb pro microSD now commands (because the price-drop & delay in delivery adds insult to my injury).​
It is now 6 & 7 days since I booked the following items - Logitech HD Pro C920 (Rs 5323/-) and Samsung 64Gb MicroSD Pro Series (Rs 3999/-) & I have complained about the delay in delivery.

WHAT IS NOW EVEN MORE SHOCKING IS OWING TO MY CONSTANT MAILS - FK HAS NOW REVERTED (OFFICIALLY) THE PRICE OF THE 64GB to Rs 3999/- :mad:
This is the most pathetic & downright idiotic response that I have seen. I am sure that the bunch of morons who are taking these erratic decisions do not fathom the long term consequences of these hurried decisions. What harm would have been caused if they refunded me the Rs 400 that I sought (rather they would have earned some respect and credibility). They lost all that in their desperate scurrying for cover.

Note: Unfortunately I did not capture a snapshot of FK's reduced price of Rs 3599 on the Samsung 64GB that was online from Tuesday 16th July to Thursday late evening 18th July.

Regrets
Terence Fernandes

Last edited by a moderator:
Flipkart have been acting cocky; have heard some horrible experiences from many. They have captured the Indian online retail market, but I don't think they know how to sustain it for long-term.

Flipkart have been acting cocky; have heard some horrible experiences from many. They have captured the Indian online retail market, but I don't think they know how to sustain it for long-term.

I am not the only one who is frustrated (it's the 9th day today & still waiting).

The net is flooded with similar disappointed customers on a daily basis ........ start from Facebook and then moving on

Take Flipkart, the industry's leader by far. After having grown at a breakneck speed using over $180 million in venture funding, the company has in recent times been forced to lay off employees, streamline operations, reduce discounts and shipping subsidies, and slash categories in an attempt to bring down the amount of money it loses every month, or 'burn rate'.
- see moneycontrol.com
complaints on
mouthshut.com
consumerlaw.in
grahakseva.com
compliantboard.in

All the above list compliants almost on a 'daily-basis' (which is really scary).

Summing up it seems quite clear to me - in Mumbai FK may have slashed their delivery staff by considerable numbers. Mumbai accounts for the largest number of 'online shoppers'. As shipments keep piling up at their warehouses; intra-city sorting facilities & hubs, and as more & more delays keep mounting up it's only a matter of time before they lose all their once loyal customers.

Flipkart has gone bonkers - in their desperate desire to stay on top. Amazon's entry has shaken them. I will definitely think 10 times before I ever shop on FK again.

Don't know what that money control author was smoking.

Flipkart, an Industry leader in what way?
What discounts did they offer till now? Their prices were higher than eBay from the start and if they gave a discount, they would still earn profit.

In between there was some stupid shopping promo hash up of various online malls like these who actually increased prices during the sale and then gave a non existing discount.
What bs from journalists!

Don't know what that money control author was smoking.

Flipkart, an Industry leader in what way?
What discounts did they offer till now? Their prices were higher than eBay from the start and if they gave a discount, they would still earn profit.

In between there was some stupid shopping promo hash up of various online malls like these who actually increased prices during the sale and then gave a non existing discount.
What bs from journalists!

FK's desire to mop up $100 million from new investors has got all the 'pseudo stock-market gurus' excited - all who are looking forward to FK's IPO in the next 12-24 months. I can bet on it that almost none of these guys ever made any online shopping & that none of them know the pulse of real buyers. Their main interest is to only whip up passions and come up with statistical charts that will show how FK will zoom ahead after the IPO.

Check this - from Sachin Bansal, CEO, FK
........Asked about the company's losses, Bansal said the firm was not profitable only because of the massive investments it was still making. "We can be profitable if we stop investing. But we want to be market leaders in a number of categories, and the market is almost doubling every year. So, it's a strategic decision to invest. Binny (Binny Bansal, the other co-founder) and I are thinking very, very long term," he said.

Bansal further said the fresh funding would be used for investments in technology, improving the supply chain, and developing talent. "One day last month, we shipped 1.3 lakh items. That's 1.5 items a second, or, if you look only at daytime, about 4-5 items a second. In a few years, this will become several million shipments a day. The only way to handle that kind of volume is through automation, and that will require a lot of investment," he said.

..... someone ought to tell him that 'ground realities' are different. If FK continues to disappoint genuine buyer's, then they are staring at creating a huge blackhole from which there will be no escape.

Back