Graphic Cards Suggest Me a Graphics Card For HD video viewing

Hello everyone,

Today my long used Nvidia 8400GS has gone kaput.

Its giving yellow lines all over the display, for now I have switched back to on-board graphics and the display is fine. ( Thanks god, the LCD is working absolutely fine )
Tried updating to newest drivers, removed the card, the again plugged it back, but the problem reoccurred. So it assures that the problem is with the card itself.

Now , kindly help me to buy a new graphics card considering the following.

1. I am not at all a gamer.
2. My primary use on PC is casual web browsing , Music Listening and HD video watching.
3. My LCD is Benq G2412HD
4. My specs of CPU are
^ Intel E8500 - 3.16ghz Core 2 Duo Processor
^ Corsair VX550W PSU
^ 3GB RAM
^ 500GB HDD
^ El-Cheapo basic Asus P5KPL AM/PS Mother board :ashamed:

5. Budget - The lower the better.

Considering I don't game at all, recommend me a decent card which will be best suited for my needs and matches my CPU requirements.

P.S - If anyone has a used card to offer can PM me :)

Considering your CPU and all i'd suggest you to get Sapphire HD6670-5k OR Sapphire HD5670-4.6k,If you want to game at mid settings then you'd get Sapphire/Msi HD7750-7.5k considering your resolution.Hope this helps.:)

Even i'm interested in this...will a video card help with videos on sites like youtube? My comp slows down a bit while playing flash videos...

Will the 3k budget be cards good enough to play 1080i videos smoothly ?

As you are not at all going to game, look at these cards Anubhav --
  • AMD HD6450 ~3000/-
  • AMD HD5450 ~2500/-
  • AMD HD4670 [if you can find this] ~3500/-

These should be more than enough, I do not know about sharpness of the text but the overall visual quality and the decode load will be off the CPU.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

P.S. -- @indy1811 what is your PC's configuration?

Last edited by a moderator:
Core2duo E6300, 2gigs of DDR2 RAM, Intel onboard gfx, Benq 22" LED monitor

Which motherboard [chipset] and what is your SMPS rated at? Because I am assuming that to be of Intel P6965 OR G31 / 41 vintage.

The cards I shortlisted for Anubhav will work fine on your system as long as your main purpose is HD RIPz. If you wish to game, then shell out a bit more and go for the --
  • AMD HD6770 ~6500/-
  • AMD HD7750 [900MHz core clock] ~7000/-

@ALPHA17

I have the Intel946gz motherboard with the 82946GZ graphics chipset. My PSU is rated at 500W but is of the generic kind.

Will the cards at 2k help or do i really need to be spending upwards of 5k?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the cards at 2k help or do i really need to be spending upwards of 5k?

If you do not intend to game, then the cards in the ~2000/- price-bracket will do fine.

If you intend to game, you will need to give me a bit more details, like what games, what detailing and eye-candy do you desire from the game you play.

And if you want a gaming grade card, I suggest that you have a hefty budget for the graphics card as well as the SMPS.

As you are not at all going to game, look at these cards Anubhav --
  • AMD HD6450 ~3000/-
  • AMD HD5450 ~2500/-
  • AMD HD4670 [if you can find this] ~3500/-

These should be more than enough, I do not know about sharpness of the text but the overall visual quality and the decode load will be off the CPU.

P.S. -- indy1811 what is your PC's configuration?

Thanks for the recommendations mate.

My earlier 8400GS was making HD videos lag a bit, Will the cards recommended by you be able to run HD videos flawlessly?

What all is better in the cards suggested by you, over my older 8400GS ?

My earlier 8400GS was making HD videos lag a bit, Will the cards recommended by you be able to run HD videos flawlessly?

I would recommend the HD6450 because is supports the latest formats out of the box and has a more updated hardware standard for its connectors [HDMI and DISPLAY PORT are supported]. Apart from that this card might be eating a few watts lesser on load.

These are about the only advantages you will get with a card at such a price-point. Gaming on these [barring the oldest titles] is not possible OR recommended. But these will solve most of the stuttering issues associated with the HD content you want to view.

I would recommend the HD6450 because is supports the latest formats out of the box and has a more updated hardware standard for its connectors [HDMI and DISPLAY PORT are supported]. Apart from that this card might be eating a few watts lesser on load.

These are about the only advantages you will get with a card at such a price-point. Gaming on these [barring the oldest titles] is not possible OR recommended. But these will solve most of the stuttering issues associated with the HD content you want to view.

Got quotes from NP delhi, via SMC

1. Zotac GTX550i - Rs 7200

2. MSI HD 7770 - Rs 8600

Which one should I go for, considering again that I am a zero gamer !

Opting for these two, only after reading a few reviews.

1. Zotac GTX550i - Rs 7200
2. MSI HD 7770 - Rs 8600

Both are gaming grade cards, I sincerely advise you to stick to the the ~3500/- price-category anything over that will be a waste of money on components that you'll not exploit fully.

The HD6450 / HD5450 are your best options.

Try getting quotes from Computer Empire [Nehru Place] OR order the card from flipkart.com / hardwire.in.

Hope this helps. Cheerio!

Both are gaming grade cards, I sincerely advise you to stick to the the ~3500/- price-category anything over that will be a waste of money on components that you'll not exploit fully.

The HD6450 / HD5450 are your best options.

Try getting quotes from Computer Empire [Nehru Place] OR order the card from flipkart.com / hardwire.in.

Hope this helps. Cheerio!

Even though I dont game as of today, but if I go with GTX 550i, what all games will I be able to play?

And the diff between 550i and 7770 is night and day / or they are just marginally different??

The HD7770 is much better than GTX550Ti,You'll be able to play all games at mid settings on Full HD resolution.Here's a comparison-AnandTech - Bench - GPU12If you don't want to game then HD5670 is more than enough.Hope this helps.
Even though I dont game as of today, but if I go with GTX 550i, what all games will I be able to play?

And the diff between 550i and 7770 is night and day / or they are just marginally different??

The HD7770 is much better than GTX550Ti,You'll be able to play all games at mid settings on Full HD resolution.Here's a comparison-AnandTech - Bench - GPU12If you don't want to game then HD5670 is more than enough.Hope this helps.

I have always preferred nvidia cards, First card was Nvidia 6600 Gt, then 8400gs , i Hope i'll settle with a GTX 550Ti this time too.
Somehow, I feel driver support is more stable for nvidia cards compared to ATI ones.

The AMD HD7770 GHz edition [so called because its core is clocked @1GHz] is the better of the two cards. You will be able to play most current generation PC titles and upcoming games with medium details at a 1080p resolution. Although in certain games the performance will rapidly trail off. If you are too know these cards require your PC to have a decent SMPS [Corsair CX v2430W at-least] to power them via an external PCIe 6-pin power connector. Not recommended to run this on a local SMPS.

I have always preferred nvidia cards, First card was Nvidia 6600 Gt, then 8400gs , i Hope i'll settle with a GTX 550Ti this time too.
Somehow, I feel driver support is more stable for nvidia cards compared to ATI ones.

Still requires a beefy SMPS.

And about the drivers issue, I make no bones that this is a myth now and I loath people who make their purchase decisions influenced by so-called 'driver support'. I can be wrong too but I have never noticed improved performance OR extra-ordinary visuals with nVidia cards on the same titles I have played on my AMD cards.

Back