Suggest Multi-function Laser AIO Printer

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
So my 4 year old HP 4515 Inkjet MFD stopped working and shows an Ink Cartridge problem for the black cartridge. Changing the cartridge didn't help either. I could try going to HP, but the printer is out of warranty, so I don't know what they are going to charge and running around them is a hassle in itself. This is the 3rd HP printer to go bust after the warranty is over and my 4th overall Inkjet.

So I am looking for a new Multi-function Laser AIO Printer in the hopes that it would not be a bit more reliable than the entry level Inkjets. Printing volume is not too high. Maybe about 500 pages in a year.

I have set a budget of 20k. I could prefer if it can output color as well, but I know that most of the entry level laser printers are Monochrome.

Desired features

Print, Scan, Copy (Fax not required)
Replacement toners easily available and affordable.
Wireless highly desirable, but at the very least it has to be a network printer and not USB

I have been using Samsung M2876ND for 2+ years without any problems. Now in its 3rd toner cartridge (clones). Its a wired network printer and has been Linux friendly :) Also use it through Google cloud print.

Caution: Ive heard few bad things(non-availability of cartridges, cartridge life too short, too light a print etc) about Samsung printers but havent faced any issue so far.

PS: Had paid ~11.8K when it was on sale

Last edited:
Was looking for a similar printer myself. We'll watch this thread!

Trouble is colour laser AIO multifunction printers are expensive last I checked.

For regular BW laser multifunction printers everyone I've checked with recommend either HP or Samsung. Hardly anyone suggested Canon

The problem with inkjets is they tend to dry and clog if you dont use the printer frequently. I went through 2 inkjets before I switched to this. Both HPs didnt last more than 2 years. I dont blame the brand/printer for it.

If you need colour, I would suggest to go for ink tank - HP has an awesome 5820/21 - we use this in office. Nearly zero issues, with full support for almost everything. Its a wireless only AIO, so no ethernet. Do ensure you print at least one page every few days. You can use Epson as well, its equally good, cheaper, but some driver issues - which is ok for home use, but murderous in enterprises.

If you are looking at laser - HP 128fw has what you need, with fax thrown in, except colour. Using this as well, works great. Plus uses 88A cartridges, which are now prevalent everywhere. If you want one using the 12A workhorse, you can look at the HP M1005, only has no wireless, and no colour either

I would suggest you look at local retailers and ask for demo before you decide.

^^ HP 5820/21 seems to have been replaced with HP Ink Tank series 3xx and 4xx.

HP Original Laser toner prices look a bit crazy for 1500/200 page print yield.

^^ HP 5820/21 seems to have been replaced with HP Ink Tank series 3xx and 4xx.

HP Original Laser toner prices look a bit crazy for 1500/200 page print yield.

Possible, I am not keeping track of the HP launches.

HP original toners cost a bomb. You need to go for refilling, and throw away the cartridges or replace the inner parts after 6 or more refills.

The problem with inkjets is they tend to dry and clog if you dont use the printer frequently. I went through 2 inkjets before I switched to this. Both HPs didnt last more than 2 years. I dont blame the brand/printer for it.
Not quite. The newer ink tank varieties come with auto cleaning. I print once in 15 days and I have not run into any print head issues so far. The printer does self cleaning every 3 to 4 days. The printer I own is Brother DCP-T500W.

So my 4 year old HP 4515 Inkjet MFD stopped working and shows an Ink Cartridge problem for the black cartridge. Changing the cartridge didn't help either.

I got a similar problem couple of times when I changed to new cartridges which seems to have gotten resolved when I lightly rubbed the gold pin contacts with my finger (probably should have used a cloth or brush) in the cartridge compartment, probably dust accumulation.

In my case, it happened with a cartridge already installed. I had actually used the printer just the previous day to this and the ink as definitely not run out. In any case, I got a new cartridge which I also verified to be genuine with serial number check. But no luck. Also tried all the remedies including trying to clean the contacts and also resetting the printer. The message just won't go away.

I have set a budget of 20k. I could prefer if it can output color as well, but I know that most of the entry level laser printers are Monochrome.

Desired features

Print, Scan, Copy (Fax not required)
Replacement toners easily available and affordable.
Wireless highly desirable, but at the very least it has to be a network printer and not USB

i have a monchrome brother laser printer. Brother DCP-L2541DW bought a yr ago for 17k. It has an ethernet port, this ups the price compared to USB only but i consider ethernet an important feature. The W at the end implies wireless.

The wireless is great. It hooks up to the R7000 and i can print from anywhere. This is how all wireless smart devices should operate. Do not buy a printer that doesn't have a wireless feature. It constrains where you can place it and in a home this is key.

The power saving is great. Wakes up, prints and goes to sleep shortly after. The brother printer software on a PC is more detailed than on a mobile which has fewer options. Part that concerned me is whether it could work on the lighting circuit. Turns out in my case it can, it has an inrush current of around 9A for 2100W momentarily which you would think will trip a 6A fuse but no problems. The running power when printing is around 960W. No flickering lights at all.

Brother works different to HP. The drum is separate from the toner cartridge. HP includes a drum in the cartridge. So HP's cartridges are more expensive as a result but the HP printer cost will be cheaper

Am surprised you manged with inkjets this long. When printing frequency is low there is always this headache of ink clogging up nozzles. If you print at least once a week you can manage but i don't even do that. So that is main reason i went with laser. I might not need to print anything for many weeks and then a job here and there.

Colour will be more expensive. 10k more. Is it really necessary. You might be better off giving this to a print shop. If you think about it this applies even with regular photocopying. At Rs.1 a copy it will be a long time before a personal printer becomes worth it. But there is a premium on convenience and printing when you want instead of batching things up for some one else to do. With four printers down the just go to the shop VFM argument is moot

Last edited:
i have a monchrome brother laser printer. Brother DCP-L2541DW bought a yr ago for 17k. It has an ethernet port, this ups the price compared to USB only but i consider ethernet an important feature. The W at the end implies wireless.

The wireless is great. It hooks up to the R7000 and i can print from anywhere. This is how all wireless smart devices should operate. Do not buy a printer that doesn't have a wireless feature. It constrains where you can place it and in a home this is key.

As I mentioned already, it has to be network printer whether wireless or wired. There is no question of hooking it via USB. My present printer is wireless and connected over WiFi to my R7000 which allows me to print from any computer or mobile on the network. Even if I have to get a wired network printer, it will hook into my network switch only.

Am surprised you manged with inkjets this long. When printing frequency is low there is always this headache of ink clogging up nozzles. If you print at least once a week you can manage but i don't even do that. So that is main reason i went with laser. I might not need to print anything for many weeks and then a job here and there.

My first Inkjet was in 1997 (21 years ago). It was an Epson Stylus 200 and it lasted for 4 years before a refilled cartridge killed it. Second one is an HP 3420 bought in 2002 which lasted over 3-4 years. Next was a HP k209a bought in 2011 and it lasted till 2014. The present one is a HP 4515 which lasted till 2018 and conked off a few days ago. None of the printers died off because of ink drying or clogging. except the first one which died due to refilled cartridge creating a mess and I have used only original inks in my subsequent printers.

Colour will be more expensive. 10k more. Is it really necessary. You might be better off giving this to a print shop. If you think about it this applies even with regular photocopying. At Rs.1 a copy it will be a long time before a personal printer becomes worth it. But there is a premium on convenience and printing when you want instead of batching things up for some one else to do. With four printers down the just go to the shop VFM argument is moot

The point for me to consider is whether to go the Laser printer route or the Ink Tank route. Ink tank printer inks are supposedly more resilient to the problems that plague the cartridge based Inkjet printers. Further, I don't need to fill the tanks fully in one go if I am right. Laser printers too seem to have their own fair share of problems.

My first Inkjet was in 1997 (21 years ago). It was an Epson Stylus 200 and it lasted for 4 years before a refilled cartridge killed it. Second one is an HP 3420 bought in 2002 which lasted over 3-4 years. Next was a HP k209a bought in 2011 and it lasted till 2014. The present one is a HP 4515 which lasted till 2018 and conked off a few days ago. None of the printers died off because of ink drying or clogging. except the first one which died due to refilled cartridge creating a mess and I have used only original inks in my subsequent printers.
Is 4 yrs the avg to expect with these printers ? seems a bit low. But this is my first printer so i don't have an idea of life which highly depends on how much its used

The drum on the brother is rated for 12k pages at 5% coverage. Increasing coverage will require it be replaced sooner
The cartridge is good for 2600 pages again at 5% coverage

At your current print rate that works out to just one cartridge and dead after. I am definitely expecting longer life than that with the brother i got

Did you ever figure out what caused your printers too stop working ? your latest from what you've said suggests a clogged nozzle. Ergo dead.

It's not worth refilling as that means unknowns later on, in case of a laser the drum will definitely be affected if it doesn't get the designed quality of toner.

The point for me to consider is whether to go the Laser printer route or the Ink Tank route. Ink tank printer inks are supposedly more resilient to the problems that plague the cartridge based Inkjet printers. Further, I don't need to fill the tanks fully in one go if I am right. Laser printers too seem to have their own fair share of problems.
How important is colour for you ? this is the only sticking point here

What stumped me was choosing between regular colour printing and photo image quality. Then i decided i'd be better off letting a print shop do that and stick to monochrome as i've hardly have any need for colour.

What problems are there for laser. over a year now and nothing i've found. They're not economical if you print a lot, power consumption will proportionately be higher as well. Both are N/A in your case[DOUBLEPOST=1528139739][/DOUBLEPOST]This is the colour variant that brother does. The problem is its pricey and doesn't offer wireless unlike in other markets.

https://www.amazon.in/Brother-MFC-9140CDN-Multifunction-Printing-Network/dp/B00CY9P9WE

This is the one to get but its not available in India yet for some stupid reason

https://www.brother.co.uk/printers/colour-laser-printers/dcp9020cdw

Last edited:
Is 4 yrs the avg to expect with these printers ? seems a bit low. But this is my first printer so i don't have an idea of life which highly depends on how much its used

The drum on the brother is rated for 12k pages at 5% coverage. Increasing coverage will require it be replaced sooner
The cartridge is good for 2600 pages again at 5% coverage

Are the original toners easily available for brother printers? Lots of fakes seem to be around.

Did you ever figure out what caused your printers too stop working ? your latest from what you've said suggests a clogged nozzle. Ergo dead.

Only my first printer died because of Ink leak. Never used anything other than original cartridges with the others. Next two HP printers had mechanical failures. The current one (HP 4515) has a cartridge detection error suggesting a issue in the electrical contact with the cartridge.

How important is colour for you ? this is the only sticking point here

I do use color, but occasionally. No requirements for photo quality. Just color prints and color copying.

What problems are there for laser. over a year now and nothing i've found. They're not economical if you print a lot, power consumption will proportionately be higher as well. Both are N/A in your case

Paper jams are usually more difficult to deal with. Original toners are costly and lots of fake toners in the market being passed off as originals

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01M637FAF

Seller appario is reliable

This one is discounted, its little over 3000

Brother will be cheaper than others because it doesn't require a drum to be in the cartridge

With your use a cartridge like that should last a couple of years if not more

stats.PNG

I've still a while to go with the starter cartridge

Last edited:
Is the overall build of you printer good? I saw the videos on youtube and it looked like there are lot of cheap looking plastic parts involved.

Also does it come with a 15A plug or a 6A one?

Last edited:
3pin 6A plug, always on. So long as there is a solid green light then wifi is good. Wifi cert

Looks simple and the ADF on top feels cheap when using. Has a strange closing action, as you get close to the bed it suddenly wants to close quick. You get used to it the first couple of times it slams down. Annoying at first but necessary. Trick to a sharp photo copy, scan is to press down. And i've been happy with the quality of both. I don't bother with toner saver. I want the full quality. Never mind if i get 10% less. Better than 100% lighter prints

The lcd panel is just two rows and very basic, for copying its good enough. I don't need a fancy swivel touch screen for that. Fortunately it faces up. Print and scan i use the included software on the laptop

It's also more noisy i would think in comparison to an inkjet. I don't print a lot, going by the figures so far half as much as you so the noise doesn't bother me given i'm the one initiating the jobs

But it works. I like how i can access it wherever i get range from the router and it will reliably wake up and do its thing. Mobile printing is quite basic so i do that from the PC. Still a few months to go before the years up , no paper jams, its advised to shake the ream before you put it in.

Last edited:
Back