[Suggest] Rechargeable Battery Kit [AA Size]

Hi Guys

Sorry for asking such a silly thing guys.

I wanted some suggestions for brand for the "Rechargeable Battery Kit [AA Size]"

Blade told me that the eveready aint that gr8.

Please mention the kit brand with the cost.

me got energizer 2500mAh batterys for my digital cams n cordless keyboard mouse....got them for 250 each.....n a energizer 15min ultrafast charger for $15

@Quad Master...

there are a few things to ponder before purchasing rechargeable batteries.

first make sure your instruments will support 2500 mAh or 2300 mAh batteries. only then you shuold purchased such higher rated batteries. otherwise you may have to settle for 1600 mAh ones.

i have been using GP batteries and a DIGICAM charger for my digital cameras. they were recommended by my photographer friend. they are serving me very well for a year and a half now.

the batteries are 1600 mAH ones and charger is fast charger with cutoff alarm when fullly charged. it takes about 1.5 fully charge the batteries. butif you in a hurry it gives you 20-30 mins fat charge upto 80% of the capacity.

there are a lot of fakes in market for SANYO and SONY brand. so beware.

eveready batteries are now manufactured from GP technology so i think they are reliable.

if you are purchasing for digital camera then you have to go for the fast charger as cameras are a battery hog.

look here
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/suggest-some-good-batteries-10325.html

following review is for international market
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/the-great-battery-shootout-3798.html

and this reviewcarries pics of my batteries as well as switch`s batteries and few other members too go on page 2 and 3
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/review-canon-powershot-a95-hot-home-1453.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Energizer and Panasonic are awesome with good battery life.
Though i have not used the AA rechargable ones and have used the AAA ones of Panasonic, they are still going strong for me after 2.5 yrs of use.
I got the 4 battery+charger pack.
It is commonly available from Planet M outlets and would recommend the use of Panasonic batteries.

Thanks a lot for ur views , if u have more info plz share.

I will be using it with the iriver that i got from blade.

currently using duracell it lasts long but i dont wanna get duracell every time.

So will be investing in this rechargeable batteries.

This iriver really finishes normal batteries very fast.
I just cant resist the audio quality that it provides.

I have stopped listening music from my PC. :eek:hyeah:

Guys whats this "mAH" and i went through the entire iriver manual
there is nothing mentioned more than "AA Battery Required" :lol:

Also how fast does this fast charger charge.

What will happen if i use a wrong mAH battery in the iriver.
Suggest a charger such that it will indicate that the battery is charged or will auto cutoff.

Guys i am still confused as what charger and batteries to get

will check out at planetm inorbit malls.

I got the GP set marketed by Eveready. They are doing great. 2100 mAH. I second Medpal about Sanyo and Sony fakes. I was taken for a ride myself about a year ago with sanyo fakes. Looks like 600 mAH cells were shrink wrapped with a 2100 mAH label.

But Medpal is wrong about using higher capacity. You can use higher capacity cells without fear. Go ahead.

You can also consider the Camelion batteries and chargers sold by JJ Mehta at Dadar. However the camelion fast charger is very expensive while the 200 buck charger is very slow.

I think the Eveready (GP) pack of charger with 4 cells was very good value at under 950 bucks when i bought it. The charger is reasonably fast not 0.1C. Someone mentioned GP is bad ,but I have used GP rechargeables since the early 1990s and they were good.

Quad Master said:
I saw some 4 eveready battery with charger pack @ inorbit malls for 350Rs :S

Is this genuine.

there must be one "1" erased from front :p

anyways you can get eveready ones and get good performance.

mAh = mili ampere hour (hope you under stand now as you are an engg student)

if you are using iriver i think minimum you should take 2300 mAh if you can get 2500 one well and good . higher ratings means longer lasting battery life

so my preferance would be

GP >> Eveready(as GP collaboration is there) >> sony >> sanyo

energizer are the best when comes to rechargable batteries thats what i have heard too but they may be costly.

fast chargers will charge 80-90% of battery capacity in about 25-30 mins.

ps : @Emil thanks for clearing doubts. my info was based on some discussion with a photographer. his fuji camera did not accept batteries higher rated than 2100 mAh

Last edited by a moderator:
So guys can i use 1600/2100/2200/2300/2500 mAh without ne fear on the iriver.

Also I came across this Camelion batteries & charger.

Camelion AA 2200mAh NiMH Rechargeable Battery
Link:- http://www.jjmehta.com/products/camelion1.html
Image:- http://www.jjmehta.com/images/camelion_2200_a.jpg

Camelion AA 2500mAh NiMH Rechargeable Battery
Link:- http://www.jjmehta.com/products/camelion_battery2500.html
Image:- http://www.jjmehta.com/images/camelion_2500_c.jpg

Camelion SLIM CHARGER (Traveler Charger) BC-0668 [Fast Charger]
Link:- http://www.jjmehta.com/products/camelion_bc0668.html
Image:- http://www.jjmehta.com/images/charger_0668.jpg
Features

1. 4 Individual sensors and channels for 1 to 4 pieces of AA/AAA Ni-MH or Ni-Cd batteries
2. Compact Size and light weight
3. 4 individual LEDs indicating charging conditions
4. Automatic selection for AA/AAA battery charging currents
5. Internal worldwide power input 100-240V
6. Microprocessor Controlled Auto Cut Off (- r V Detect)
7. With Timer control, double Protection (5 hours ± 5%)
8. Defective and Non-rechargeable battery detection
9. Reverse Polarity Protection
10.Over Current Protection
11.Over Temperature Protection
12.Low Battery Leakage Current
13.Trickle Charge After Fully Charged
14.Charging Indicators: 4 Individua

Guys how good bad is this Camelion package.
Can this charger charger charge ne NiCd,NiMH AA/AAA batteries

I am thinking aboutt this Camelion 2200mAh

Ne other fast charger for fast charging.
This Camelion Fast charger is damn costly Rs1200

Camelion Batteries
NiMH and NiCad Batteries for Digital Cameras and Power Hungry Electronics Price
(Indian Rupees)
Nickel Metal Hydride Batteries [NI-MH]

per battery
AA 2200mAH NiMH Rechargeable Battery 125
AA 2600mAH NiMH Rechargeable Battery 150
AAA 100mAH NiMH Rechargeable Battery 65
Camelion Battery Charger
Camelion Standard Charger (BC610) for AA Batteries 195

Camelion Standard Charger (BC8201) charges both AA and AAA Batteries
Camelion Ultra Fast Slim Charger (BC-0668) 1200

Camelion SPECIAL PACKAGES
Camelion 2200mAH NiMH Rechargeable Battery (4pcs) + Camelion Standard Charger 650
Camelion 2600mAH NiMH Rechargeable Battery (4pcs) + Camelion Standard Charger 700
Camelion Ultra Fast Slim Charger (BC-0668)
with 4pcs of AA NiMH 2200mah Cells 1600
Camelion Ultra Fast Slim Charger (BC-0668)
with 4pcs of AA NiMH 2600mah Cells

Code:
Source:- [url]http://www.jjmehta.com/pricelist/propricelist1.html#Camelion[/url] Batteries

Hey Medpal & Switch is that a fast charger that u guys are using
the camelion fast charger costs a lot.

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/30475-post26.html

I am thinking of getting NiMh based 2200/2500mAh Camelion batteries
ne other batteries better than this available here in mumbai.

Found this excellect FAQ

Answers

Q. What is a 2000 mah NiMH Battery ?
A. NiMH: Ni stands for Nickel, the M stands for Metal, and the H stands for Hydryde thus Nickel Metal Hydryde. NIMH batteries are the newest battery technology to be used for rechargeable batteries. NIMH batteries are up to 40% lighter than even Ni-Cads. This means longer runtimes, less weight, or both. They are ideal for power intensive applications especially Digital Cameras .

"mAh": Stands for milli-ampere hours and is a measure of energy. In our case it measures the capacity or amount of energy that batteries will deliver. For example, a 1000mAh capacity means that the batteries will last for 1 hour if subjected to a 1000mA discharge current. Also 2000mAh = 2Ah ( 1 Amp Hour )

Q. Do NiMH batteries lose any capacity during their useful life ?
A. Yes they do lose some capacity, but it is normally very, very gradual. This is true with all rechargeable batteries, but some have a very high rate loss. Our NiMH batteries are designed to have a much longer cycle life than older generation NiMH batteries. Normally after 200 - 300 cycles, battery capacity will decrease 10 to20%. Keep in mind that this is the amount of charge the Batteries will hold not the quality.

Q. How many times can I recharge my NiMH batteries ?
A. The number of times you can recharge your batteries will depend on the operating parameters, such as drain rate, battery care, etc. In general, under desirable conditions, NiMH batteries can last up to 500 recharges. In absolute best conditions, NiMH batteries can last up to 1000 recharges

Q. My first set of batteries was 1600mAh Batteries. Can I now use 2000mAh Batteries or will they hurt my camera by being to strong ?
A Sure you can use the 2000 mAh batteries. 2000mAh denotes the capacity of a battery, not its strength. Capacity is how much charge a battery holds once it is fully charged.. The more capacity, the longer a battery will last in any given application. Voltage is the strength. Rechargeable batteries actually develop around 1.4 to 1.45 volts when fully charged even though they are marked as 1.2V.

Q. My Digital Camera uses 1.5V "AA" batteries and your NiMH "AA" batteries are 1.2V. Will they still work ?
A. Yes, you can safely use NiMH batteries without any problems. They can be used in place of your original batteries in almost all digital cameras , film cameras, flash units as well as most other electronic equipment. Actually when they are fully charged they will measure around 1.4V+ per cell . NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries are the most popular choice for digital camera users, photographers, cellular phone and laptop users, and many others because these batteries have a much higher capacity, have high drain properties, and are virtually memory free. These batteries do not need to be discharged every time before recharging. NiMH batteries can be damaged from very excessive heat caused by overcharging or using a poorly designed battery charger. This is easily avoided by using a high quality, microprocessor controlled battery charger or a charger designed for NiMH batteries and always charging your NiMH batteries as directed.

Q. Why do alkaline batteries run down so rapidly in my digital camera ?
A. Alkaline batteries weren't designed to supply the high power drains demanded by digital cameras and other modern digital equipment. Despite having a large energy capacity, alkaline batteries aren't capable of delivering their energy rapidly enough to supply your digital camera, causing it to shut down. Digital cameras, and in particular their LCD screens, demand large electrical currents from your batteries.

An alkaline battery's internal resistance means that it can't provide a sufficiently large current, so its voltage drops and the camera shuts down. This is despite there still being energy left in the battery! - don't throw alkalines away when they fail in your camera, use them in a low power device.
NiMH batteries are able to power your device for very much longer than alkalines - enabling hundreds rather than handfuls of photos to be taken - they are also rechargeable again and again. Digital photography with NiMH batteries is not only more convenient, but can be done at a tiny fraction of the cost using alkalines.

Q. What is the 'memory effect' and do NiMH Batteries have a memory effect ?
A.NiCad batteries gradually lose their maximum energy capacity if they are repeatedly partially discharged before being recharged. This is termed the memory effect. A major advantage of NiMH battery technology, apart from lack of toxicity, is the absence of any memory effect - NiMH batteries are remarkably tolerant of frequent 'top-up' charging.

Q. How can I maximize the Battery Life of my digital camera ?
A. First of all use named-brand, high capacity NiMH rechargeable batteries, secondly, don't leave your digital camera switched on between photographic sessions, and thirdly, try to minimise use of your digital camera's LCD monitor screen.

A digital camera's LCD monitor may consume 1000mW of power and draw 1000mA of electric current - these are huge figures for an electronic device (enough to power 10,000 pocket calculators simultaneously!) So try to do most of your shooting through the optical viewfinder with the LCD monitor switched off. And if your digital camera has lots of memory, there's little need to use the monitor for previewing your pictures either - unwanted photos can always be deleted later.

Q. What happens if I leave the battery in the charger for an extended period of time ?
A. Extensive charging may shorten the life of the battery. It is recommended that batteries not be left in the charger for more than 24 hours

Q. How long should a battery be charged for its initial charge ?
A. NiCd and NiMH batteries should be charged for 16 hours initially. There after you can charge as per your charger's capacity . Remember that a battery, after lying on the shelf for some time, usually takes 2-4 full charges and discharges before it achieves its full potential.

Q. How long should the charge in a battery last when the battery is not in use ?
A. NiCd and NiMH <10% during the first 24 hours after charging and about 1% to 2% per day thereafter
This capacity can be recovered by normal charging.

There are two factors to consider during storage:
A non-recoverable capacity loss occurs during storage that depends on the storage temperature and length of time. If the storage temperature is below +35C the batteries can be stored for up to 2 years with about a 5% capacity loss which is not recoverable.

If the storage temperature is allowed to reach +60C the storage time should be limited to 2 weeks to prevent more than a 5% loss. The batteries should be discharged or only slightly charged prior to storage. A charged battery will usually increase the capacity loss which is non-recoverable.

Source:- http://www.jjmehta.com/products/faq_battery.html

Also everyone please give the cost of whatever brand of battery + charger he had got

Thanks for the input czar

Guys where can i get Energizer 2300/2500 mAh batteries in Mumbai.
If i dont find energizer then will get camelion 2200/2500 mAh

Also Switch and Medpal wanted to know abt the charger u guys use
is it a fast charger or slow.

How much time does a NiMH battery takes to charge.

I want a charger for NiMH batteries AA
[if it can charge AAA too its a bonus but not compulsary]

How good is the camelion standard charger.
http://www.jjmehta.com/products/camelion2.html

depends on how many batteries u put in to charge....

a pair of 2200mAH batts will take around 2 hrs and 2 pairs wil take ~4 on a fast charger....

The link that u have posted is for a transformer based regular charger which is suited for NiCd batts only...U can charge nimh's on it but it'll take far too long and also, nimh's need a trickle charge for the last 10% or so of the charging cycle which regular transfomer based chargers can't do....

AFAIK Fast chargers are MOSFET driven and the charge rate is electronically controlled leading to fast and better charges + u'll get higher number of charge cycles too

Hope everyone knows this

Fast Charger = Less Battery life (less no of charges)

Slow Charger = long Battery life.

So you have to choose between time and battery life

Back