Suggest refrigerator in upcoming sale

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Guys I'm still stuck with old man refrigerator 1 decade old electrolux single door.

Want to buy around 270 ltr refrigerator.

Features looking for:
  • Double door (Triple door if possible)
  • Spacious depth space in terms of width (wife is strict on this)
1569311860371.png

• Convertible
  • Inverter compatible
  • 3*** stars at least
  • Good A.S.S and warranties.
  • NO plain boring silver/grey colors (avoiding strictly)

Budget: Upto 25k.

Preferred brands: Not a fanboy of any but will prefer from top brands like Samsung, LG etc.

** Already went to VIjay sales, chroma, reliance digital and what they tag/quote is almost 5-8k higher from what the official brand sites say and what we get on amazon and flipkart. So not buying from any local shops at all.

Will exchange offer be available in this sale?

Last edited:
Whirlpool is the only one i've seen that does 3 door. Whether that is useful is up to you. This fridge is tall and thin so does not do width.

A two door is good enough. One which separates fridge from freezer unlike single door.

I don't understand what "spacious depth in terms of width" means :D

Smallest fridge i looked at was a 345 lt

sansung 345 Lt.jpg

Given we live in the tropics, fridges here have a climate class of T or (Tropical) suitable for use under ambient temperature range of 18 °C ~ 43 °C (64 °F ~ 109 °F)

Therefore most fridges have freezer not much more than one foot deep even though the physical depth is twice that. This is true even with bigger fridges.

So you ain't getting no spacious depth in the freezer :p

Fridge space goes deeper.

To get more width you need to look bigger than 270. And width increases faster than height.

Get your measuring tape out and ask SWMBO what size is suitable

dim.jpg

So we know what we're talking about ;)

Last edited:
** Already went to VIjay sales, chroma, reliance digital and what they tag/quote is almost 5-8k higher from what the official brand sites say and what we get on amazon and flipkart. So not buying from any local shops at all.
I have a different experience. I went to Vijay Sales and Chroma and they are ready to give at online price available. Reliance Digital I felt costly. Vijay Sales guy told me he will try match price in case it is cheaper somewhere. Buying is shop is better for large appliances as we get what we see and also we will get current year model. Online that cannot be guaranteed.

I have a different experience. I went to Vijay Sales and Chroma and they are ready to give at online price available. Reliance Digital I felt costly. Vijay Sales guy told me he will try match price in case it is cheaper somewhere. Buying is shop is better for large appliances as we get what we see and also we will get current year model. Online that cannot be guaranteed.
True. 2 years ago did the same while shopping for an OTG.
Evening we walked in the showroom and booked some model for 5.8k. Next day for timepass searched it on amazon and it was some 1.3k cheaper.
Bang, the showroom agreed instantly without any hiccups.

Hoping to get something from local shops as well in refrigerators as well as next in-line is a 4k/led tv coming to eat my pocket:rolleyes:
Post automatically merged:

Whirlpool is the only one i've seen that does 3 door. Whether that is useful is up to you. This fridge is tall and thin so does not do width.

A two door is good enough. One which separates fridge from freezer unlike single door.

Ya 2 doors is sufficient. Dropping 3 doors which will again eat up one shelf space.

I don't understand what "spacious depth in terms of width" means :D
Found this quick on google so posted.
Actually what I meant was shelf depth. I saw some good fridges with very limited shelf spacing so small that only two small bowls can fit properly cut-to-cut besides.
So need more spacing on that part.

Smallest fridge i looked at was a 345 lt

View attachment 82188

Given we live in the tropics, fridges here have a climate class of T or (Tropical) suitable for use under ambient temperature range of 18 °C ~ 43 °C (64 °F ~ 109 °F)

Therefore most fridges have freezer not much more than one foot deep even though the physical depth is twice that. This is true even with bigger fridges.
This is some serious schematics, you into samsung factory??
& 345L will be an overkill for just 2 of us. Upto 300L I'm good.

So you ain't getting no spacious depth in the freezer :p

Fridge space goes deeper.
No we aint eyeing any freezer depth, we dont even use freezer except for stashing some perishable foods like creams and greenpeas etc.

Last edited:
Actually what I meant was shelf depth. I saw some good fridges with very limited shelf spacing so small that only two small bowls can fit properly cut-to-cut besides.
So need more spacing on that part.

This is some serious schematics, you into samsung factory??
& 345L will be an overkill for just 2 of us. Upto 300L I'm good.
I took a measuring tape to the shop and made the sales guy do the measurements, This way he is working for me instead of talking nonsense.

So do the same and find the one that fits your requirement. None of this info is available in the manual. You can make a model with broom sticks and rubber bands and decide better.

From 250 LT, Samsungs have temperature setting on the door. LG only has dials with numbers and no temperature until you get to 400 L size.

What is the difference ? more things can go wrong with the Samsung but fix should not be difficult.

I had a 200 L kelvinator that was 48 yrs old. I ended up with a 470 L and love it. Initially every one was saying it was too big. Three months later everybody is used to it.

More space is never a problem, not enough space is the problem.

What does 300 LT mean. It is gross volume. These people always use the biggest number which is a useless number.

You care about storage volume. If you don't fill the shelves on the door to the top. Take away 10-15%, you are left with 255 -270 Lt

Max loading for washer, mixie and fridge is 70%. Stick to this limit or lower even and you will get optimal use & life.

How much is remaining ? 180 - 190 L (!)

Now you know real life number is slightly less than two thirds of manufacturer spec :)

Last edited:
You also need to check the height distance between each glass tray, you will need to go to the store and check. You need something like 320+ liters to get adequate spacing. Otherwise big tall containers won't fit.

What I have seen from my personal observation is that most people who has a family members of 3 to 5 who thought that 270l fridge is enough, after a year their fridges have no space on the inside its jam packed. With 320l to 340l I rarely find the space not enough.

When I use a fridge I don't like stacking containers on top of each other. So you can quickly take the think you want to, meaning lower power consumption, hence go for 320l or above size fridges.

Ok guys thats some very good info. on configuration part.
But what about costs?
Will I be able to get something like 300-320L in my budget?
+ features like convertible and inverter compatibility?

Also, @blr_p What do you mean by these words..... "more things can go wrong with the Samsung but fix should not be difficult."

You also need to check the height distance between each glass tray, you will need to go to the store and check. You need something like 320+ liters to get adequate spacing. Otherwise big tall containers won't fit.
That was the clincher in going for a 470 over a 430 for me. The height between shelves was too less with the 430. Also the models with more shelves make you think you can store more but in real life you will end up removing a shelf. It also looks very crammed and busy.

Another point to keep in mind is the height of the shelf that is most frequently used after taking into account the height of the stand.

Your hand should reach that shelf naturally without bending too much.

When I use a fridge I don't like stacking containers on top of each other. So you can quickly take the think you want to, meaning lower power consumption, hence go for 320l or above size fridges.
Exactly.

The height between shelves was too less with the 430. Also the models with more shelves make you think you can store more but in real life you will end up removing a shelf. It also looks very crammed and busy.
Exactly!!

We are happy with just 3 shelves but should be spacious enough. Sufficient in height and width as below.

1569327761281.png

Also, @blr_p What do you mean by these words..... "more things can go wrong with the Samsung but fix should not be difficult."
There is a temperature panel on the door that could conk out. It should not be difficult to replace.

In comparison the LG only has a electro mechanical dial and these things last for ever. I still think temperature setting is good as you know instantly what the setting is.

FDA regulations for food spoilage are no higher than 4 degrees in the fridge and -18 C in the freezer

A temperature setting means the thermostat has been calibrated to deliver those temperature settings. With a dial you would need a thermometer to know which number corresponds to what temperature.

Another difference between LG & Samsung is Samsung glues the gaskets to the door. LG's are slotted so they can be removed, cleaned and reinserted back, Check this in the shop if it matters to you. When the sales guy isn't watching try to slowly peel the gasket and see how it is attached.

Post automatically merged:

Exactly!!

We are happy with just 3 shelves but should be spacious enough. Sufficient in height and width as below.

View attachment 82200
Right, 3 is good. So in the shop you should adjust the shelves and see which model gives the best spacing for you.

Keeping in mind the other ergonomic factors mentioned in my previous post.

Bigger volume fridges add height and keep width constant for a few volume sizes until there is a jump where width increases and then same thing repeats.

Compare the 430 with the 470 L i got. The width of shelves was the same but the height increased 4 inches top to bottom and gave close to an inch extra between shelves.

Last edited:
That was the clincher in going for a 470 over a 430 for me. The height between shelves was too less with the 430. Also the models with more shelves make you think you can store more but in real life you will end up removing a shelf. It also looks very crammed and busy.

Another point to keep in mind is the height of the shelf that is most frequently used after taking into account the height of the stand.

Your hand should reach that shelf naturally without bending too much.
In some models and sizes you can adjust the height, since they have tray slots. Back in 2011 when I bought the 343l panasonic bottom door freezer. In the store there was also the 270l version, in that the only way I would have gotten to fit some containers or vessel was by removing one of the tray. Hence went with the 343l version which had adjustable heights (tray to tray height distance can be adjusted from 4 or 7 or10 inches ), with sufficient space between all trays. In mine the bottom most tray is set at 10 inches, all others are set to 7inch, no point increasing the top most to 10inches since mine is a bottom door freezer, everything is at eye level no need to bend, except of course when using the freezer.

How many people in your house. We are 5 people and have two fridges , the newer samsung 320l fridge just used for storing milk and juices on the other floor.

In some models and sizes you can adjust the height, since they have tray slots. Back in 2011 when I bought the 343l panasonic bottom door freezer. In the store there was also the 270l version, in that the only way I would have gotten to fit some containers or vessel was by removing one of the tray. Hence went with the 343l version which had adjustable heights (tray to tray height distance can be adjusted from 4 or 7 or10 inches ), with sufficient space between all trays. In mine the bottom most tray is set at 10 inches, all others are set to 7inch, no point increasing the top most to 10inches since mine is a bottom door freezer, everything is at eye level no need to bend, except of course when using the freezer.

How many people in your house. We are 5 people and have two fridges , the newer samsung 320l fridge just used for storing milk and juices on the other floor.
They all have adjustable heights. What made it more aesthetic for me was equal height from the bottom vegetable box on up.

Same height or close to from the top of the box to the next shelf and so on.

Measurements in post #4

20190509_184028.jpg20190509_184135.jpg20190509_184717.jpg20190509_184806.jpg20190509_184931.jpg20190509_184157.jpg

For some reason i forgot to take one of the freezer

This fridge seems so small when i look at it now.

Looking at samsung website, there seem to be more colour options with the 324 L compared to 345 L

Last edited:
Measurements in post #4

View attachment 82243View attachment 82244View attachment 82245View attachment 82246View attachment 82247View attachment 82248

For some reason i forgot to take one of the freezer

This fridge seems so small when i look at it now.

Looking at samsung website, there seem to be more colour options with the 324 L compared to 345 L
Yesterday walked in vijay sales and wife liked https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Refri...s=rt34m5518s8&qid=1569695302&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But its only available in grey silver. Now today will bargain with him as pr online prices so lets see.

We wanted more colors but even Samsung site doesn't list any and seems need to go with the ever boring grey silver.

Yesterday walked in vijay sales and wife liked https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Refri...s=rt34m5518s8&qid=1569695302&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But its only available in grey silver. Now today will bargain with him as pr online prices so lets see.

We wanted more colors but even Samsung site doesn't list any and seems need to go with the ever boring grey silver.

There are other colours available in the 324 L size. Now that particular shop might not have the colour you want but others might.

The samsung site even has floral patterned ones.

The below photo is misleading. There is no light in the freezer in fridges below 400 L but the photo makes it look like its there.

in-feature-top-mount-freezer-rt34m5538ut-94022665__FB_TYPE_A_JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Back