Suggest website hosting option

ashish

Adept
Guys I will be hosting my own website.

The site purpose is to host only informative tutorials, some tweaks and tricks sharing.

To start, I already have my desired domain registered on a particular domain provider. But their single domain hosting plans are too costly hence looking out for cheaper alternatives just for hosting purpose. (Linux/Windows any will do)

I'm not that well versed with live domain hosting so excuse me if asked noobish queries.
I dont have any coding experience on newer languages (php/html5 etc) as I use to design website 12-15yrs ago on html/dhtml/js/vb scripts. And my site pages will be totally basic ones I wouldnt bother by any language used.

Also, if the hosting sites control panel has any gui tool it will be a plus else I'm happy with old method of designing pages offline and upload via ftp and manage.

Scenario:
My domain name is registered on xyz website. eg: wix.com

My domain hosting will be registered on abc website eg: godaddy.com

How will the work re-direction work?

I hope I dont again have to buy another domain just for redirection purpose.

If you can learn Hugo then you can host for free on Netlify. Hugo is not very easy and has a steeper learning curve than typical WordPress or even Jekyll, but it's totally worth it for the speed alone.

If it's not going to be a blog with hundreds of posts then Jekyll is fine too, but do note it takes a longer time to compile so not recommended for large websites.

If you really don't want to get into coding, then WordPress on Digital Ocean is highly recommended. I have used Digital Ocean a lot, very reliable and also fast (unlike shared hosting), and only costs $5 to $10 each month.

Please don't go for hosting on domain providers like Namecheap, GoDaddy, etc. they're horribly slow. A regular hosting provider like DreamHost is much better, but only if you are not into running your own VPS on the likes of Digital Ocean.

Scenario:
My domain name is registered on xyz website. eg: wix.com
My domain hosting will be registered on abc website eg: godaddy.com

From your hosting provider, you'll get nameservers (eg ns1.digitalocean.com, ns2.digitalocean.com).
And in your domain name settings, you'll have option to enter the name server.

https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...ean-nameservers-from-common-domain-registrars

You might look into using some CMS like Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla on some PaaS platform for hosting.

as @mathrisk said - this is where DNS comes into play.

Your domain will have a set of nameservers - this is what is looked for all queries for your domain. The vendor from whom you bought the domain should have set these to his, else, please ensure these are set to his choice of name servers. This can be done with the web panel for your domain name.

Additionally, you need to change the pointing for www to the IP of your hosting site (or do a redirect/CNAME - I am not very sure, depends on your hosting provider)

Back