Suggest Wi-fi Router for streaming to TV for Airtel broadband

dottedindian

Disciple
Hi peeps,

Please suggest a compatible wifi router for using wifi LAN/internet with TV to stream content and also for Nexus 7 tab.
Connection: Airtel Broadband 4Mbps
Currently using with PC : Beetel ADSL2+(given by airtel)
Range needed: 3 bedroom apartment.
Budget preferrred to be below 4k
Brand : No preference but need fair warranty

Interested to know what is the difference between 150 and 300Mbps Routers. In this case will it help to have 300 Mpbs?
Also i do game sometimes online so not sure how it will be effected. I have never used a wifi router before.

Thanks in advnce

yes better to take 300mbps and above its the range of the router. how much sq ft you have and how many approx walls? I think 300mbps will be enough for you.
Go for TPLINK MR 3420

Thanks Swapnil.. My tv is in the same room as the PC so no issues with walls..The house is 1200 Sqft. was browing for options and found this out abou http://www.snapdeal.com/product/tplink-300mbps-wireless-n-usb/1490743?pos=2;4#ReviewHeader
TP-Link 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Router (TD-W8968).
Can i just get that instead and what is better having routr+modem or both seperate?
We rarely need a modem these days, its for telephone lines.So I won't suggest you buying that. Instead MR3420 is good and has a usb too.

^Swapnil ..airtel uses phone line for internet ..so i would a modem....its a ASDL + modem.[DOUBLEPOST=1399656349][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mate since you already have a modem go for TP LINK WR841.

8968 is a modem plus router, and u dint need a modem..

Hi prateek is it not better to get a combo for better speeds/lesswire?.. I dont thuink the beetel modem is that good that airtel has given...i dont mind spending if it is worth the upgrade to the 8968..is that the best below 5 k

^Swapnil ..airtel uses phone line for internet ..so i would a modem....its a ASDL + modem.[DOUBLEPOST=1399656349][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hi prateek is it not better to get a combo for better speeds/lesswire?.. I dont thuink the beetel modem is that good that airtel has given...i dont mind spending if it is worth the upgrade to the 8968..is that the best below 5 k

I would prefer keeping it separate, in case if u ever shift to a cable connection, u can use the router for cable Internet as well.

Also routers have custom firmware support like DDWRT, openwrt etc..

Also if there were some faulting the internet you would exactly where the problem is.. In the router or modem or the ADSL connection.

Thanks mate but here are a few queries that i want answered :
--"I would prefer keeping it separate, in case if u ever shift to a cable connection, u can use the router for cable Internet as well. "
From website--The TP-Link 300MBPS WIRELESS N USB ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER(TD-W8968) is an incredibly robust all-in-one device, which allows you to access high speed connection over ADSL or Ethernet WAN using its interchangeable LAN/WAN Port doesnt this mean it will work with cable?

"Also routers have custom firmware support like DDWRT, openwrt etc.."
What is this usefule for I am a noob in this case...:banghead:

"Also if there were some faulting the internet you would exactly where the problem is.. In the router or modem or the ADSL connection."
I can use my beetel modem as backup to trouble shoot if the router doesnt work....so this might not be a big hassle and i would have less wires and clutter on desk.

I just want to know if the performance will be as good or better if i combo??

1. Yes it means it will work with cable internet

2. Custom firmware is usually a lot more stable than stock firmware; plus opens up additional features if you need it

# Unless you have high-speed fibre optic, there is nothing to gain in terms of speed by combining the Modem + Router. Your modem <-> router ethernet link is 100Mbps, which is far more than the 4Mbps on your Airtel line. This will never be a bottleneck.
# The only limiting factor in your wifi performance is your wifi router. Its no secret that manufacturers cut corners in combos to meet a price point - this means cheaper wifi chipsets, etc
# There are probably a 100+ routers out there in the market compared to the few ADSL-router combos, so you have a far greater choice should your wifi router needs change.
# A modem acts as another layer of protection from lightning surges. Its cheaper to replace a modem than a modem-router combo.

The only real positive with a combo is less cable clutter. For everything else a standalone router is way better.

Thanks Crazy for educating me I can make an informed choice now..I don't download a lot so i think custom firmware is not gonna help me also I am leaning towards the combo as there no clutter and i do not have enough plug points near my pc ..I am happy to know that the difference wont be much in speeds in both cases for my connections...I just hope the range is gud enough for my 1200 sqft apartment...

The range is effectively the same. Also this particular model can be used only as a router if later needed. Also has a USB port.

Received the TD-W8968 o Modem/Router..i am going crazy not being able to install it..it is not being detected..pinging it shows error" Transmit Failerd general failure."...I am able to use the beetel modem though so its not the LAN adapter..heeeeeeeeeeelp

Received the TD-W8968 o Modem/Router..i am going crazy not being able to install it..it is not being detected..pinging it shows error" Transmit Failerd general failure."...I am able to use the beetel modem though so its not the LAN adapter..heeeeeeeeeeelp

Connect the ADSL wire directly to the 8968?

Enter Internet username and password in the setup.

TP Link routers and modems are the easiest to set up... So what are you doing wrong?

Back