Suggest Wi-Fi solution for my home ...

Current status:
1. I have Tikona broadband wire coming to my home.
2. I have a desktop PC with Win XP as well Ubuntu 12.04 (dual boot)
3. The Tikona wire is connected to the ethernet port of my PC, and I use the wired internet on both XP and Ubuntu
4. Tikona uses web login to start the session (so doesn't make any difference whether I use XP or Linux).

What I want:
1. WiFi network to allow connecting my mobile phone as well as laptop to the Tikona Broadband.
2. I would prefer if the desktop PC is still connected via wired line, however this is only a preference and not binding.

Question I have:
1. If I install a Wi-fi router, will this router have a provision to support wired connection to my desktop?
2. Will any wi-fi router work with Tikona BB, or only few specific makes and models work?
3. Is there a way to KEEP the wired connection as it is connected to my desktop PC, AND "broadcast" the WiFi signal from my desktop as a hot spot.
4. Will the solution above (3) work in case of Ubuntu 12.04?

Budget for the solution?
Lets say about 2K, although being an Indian I would prefer if things can be done in 500 ;-)

Last edited:
1.Yes
2. Dont know, call Tikona guys and ask the same
3. Yes if your desktop has wireless card you can reverse tether
4.Yes if there is a software in ubuntu for reverse tethering it will work.

Why are you not using the same wire for the laptop (am i missing anything or you want wireless only connection to laptop).
You can use reverse tether software on your laptop for connecting your mobile.

1. Buy a USB wifi adapter and connect to your desktop, Install its drivers.
Buy what you like: http://www.flipkart.com/computers/network-components/wireless-usb-adapters/pr?sid=6bo,70k,85j

2. Install a Virtual router software in your PC. Like "connectify" (paid software) or Google for Virtual Wifi routers. Install what you like and works.

3. Now Fire up your virtual router/connectify and share your ethernet connection via your wifi USB device. Connectify will make a wifi hotspot using your wifi usb adapter. Tablets and phones can connect to your new Wifi network and data is routed to your ethernet device by the virtual router software.

PS: I have tried many but found only connectify works decently.

Why do you want to broadcast it from your desktop. That would mean keeping your desktop powered on the whole time. Also you will need an adapter for this. Rather than that get a wifi router. Start for as less as 950 bucks (though it depends on what range you need)

get a wifi router that supports wrt
(i use huawei hg556a).
install wget & python in wrt-router.
wget will log your router in tikona network (search for scripts), and your router can provide ethernet/wifi connectivity to other devices.

since you already use ubuntu, i am sure you would be able to handle wrt.

hg556a is an amazing device. highly recommended if you want to have some fun. or you can use other devices also (search on net)

Thanks all.
I think better sense has prevailed and I will go in for a WIFI router.
More reading around told me that there is ethernet port on the WIFI router which I can use to connect to the PC, and meanwhile I can use the WIFI for more "modern" devices ;-)

So now the question is which WIFI router?
I do not for see a need for N300, so which one should be the best among the N150 crowd?
Any specific make/model?
I have come across brands like TP-link, D-Lnk, Belkin, Bufalo, Netgear etc

Nimod, the huawei you have suggested is way over my budget!!

Why do you want to broadcast it from your desktop. That would mean keeping your desktop powered on the whole time. Also you will need an adapter for this. Rather than that get a wifi router. Start for as less as 950 bucks (though it depends on what range you need)
TP Link seems the cheapest, TP-740N.
Very decent and reliable router.

If budget is a concern, then go for TP-Link routers. I have used one TP link 3220 router it was really a sturdy one. I kept it switched on for days without any cooling and it never complained. I guess this wrt can be installed on 3220.
Just do your research before your final decision.

If budget is a concern, then go for TP-Link routers. I have used one TP link 3220 router it was really a sturdy one. I kept it switched on for days without any cooling and it never complained. I guess this wrt can be installed on 3220.
Just do your research before your final decision.

Lol mate if budget isn't a concern, I still go for tp link routers.

So now the question is which WIFI router?
I do not for see a need for N300, so which one should be the best among the N150 crowd?
Any specific make/model?
I have come across brands like TP-link, D-Lnk, Belkin, Bufalo, Netgear etc
How far away are the wifi clients from the router. mention how many walls if any in between and how thick those walls are.

The flat is small 600 sqft one.
Max distance would be 36 ft, two walls in between each about 6 inches.
Max clients ever would be 1 PC + 2 laptops + 2 phones
Most likely case would be 1 PC + 1 laptop or 2 phone

I am thoroughly confused about which to go for: D-link DIR600L, Netgear JN1010, Asus RTN10E, TP-link TLWR740N.
How the heck one chooses between these? (each is about same price - give or take 100 Rupees), almost same feature set, I am sure same signal strengths too ...

Overall the impression I get is that TP-link offers the better performance.

Do not go with the wr740n if you can spare more than 1-1.1k, to be safe buy a double antaenna router for best range...

Wr841 costs 1300 yesterday on Snapdeal after 300 off...

Back