Suggestion: CCTV Setup for my House

Depends what the options get you. An upgrade in the future for instance should not result in wholesale replacement.

I want the video to be crystal clear in day time.
Night vision is also needed.
I don't know how you deal with this one ?

Crystal clear in day time is a function of how much light is available

If we're talking shaded or indoors then even in daytime how good the cameras low light ability is determines whether it is crystal clear or not.

And then there is night vision and what the different qualities of cameras here can provide.

This is the hardest part to figure out as you don't get to try out different cameras in the desired locations to evaluate their performance

s
But at double or triple the cost? The one i've posted is what most people use. Comes to around 20k with installation.
4x IPC + NVR + HDD should be sub 30K if there is good wi-fi coverage in all cam locations and offers far more flexibility and upgradeability

Simply put Ip cameras have the edge in video quality, in a analog camera the camera does digital to analog conversion and your DVR converts the analog video and records in digital format. In a IP camera the cameras itself decodes the video feed to respective codec H264 or H265 etc, bit rates . Over the years the video edge of analog vs IP camera have became narrower but the edge is still with IP cameras.

If you just want to record motion activated video or then you don't even need a NVR. I used a SD card for nearly 6 months , where the camera recorded only during motion detection. To watch the live view of the Ip camera via your phone or smart tv, you don't need a NVR. But in a analog Turbo camera you need a DVR compulsory to watch via your smart phone or tv. DVRs are limited to 1080p, while certain NVRs can record in 4k or 1080p in 60fps.

Ip cameras which cost about $100 or more usually have more features like Smart IVS, which have additional features like Tripwire, Intrusion, Object Abandoned/Missing, face detect, people counting etc which in some cases are more useful then plain motion detect option. Dahua even has cameras which are having facial recognition and those are all happening with IP cameras although those cameras cost more then a entire analog setup.

NVR and Ip camera is the future while analog cameras and DVR are legacy systems, yes it costs more as with any new technology.

Simply put Ip cameras have the edge in video quality, in a analog camera the camera does digital to analog conversion and your DVR converts the analog video and records in digital format. In a IP camera the cameras itself decodes the video feed to respective codec H264 or H265 etc, bit rates . Over the years the video edge of analog vs IP camera have became narrower but the edge is still with IP cameras.

If you just want to record motion activated video or then you don't even need a NVR. I used a SD card for nearly 6 months , where the camera recorded only during motion detection. To watch the live view of the Ip camera via your phone or smart tv, you don't need a NVR. But in a analog Turbo camera you need a DVR compulsory to watch via your smart phone or tv. DVRs are limited to 1080p, while certain NVRs can record in 4k or 1080p in 60fps.

Ip cameras which cost about $100 or more usually have more features like Smart IVS, which have additional features like Tripwire, Intrusion, Object Abandoned/Missing, face detect, people counting etc which in some cases are more useful then plain motion detect option. Dahua even has cameras which are having facial recognition and those are all happening with IP cameras although those cameras cost more then a entire analog setup.

NVR and Ip camera is the future while analog cameras and DVR are legacy systems, yes it costs more as with any new technology.

Agree to all that but look at his use case. He just wants to monitor his folks at home, not a store or any other hi tech place which requires tripwire etc. It's up to the OP to decide whether he wants to future proof himself by going the IP camera way or stick to the traditional CCTV set up at a lower cost.

Back