Suggestion for Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters

meet6600

Adept
Hello,

Please suggest Wi-Fi Repeater for my home setup as follows:

1) Airtel V-Fiber 40 Mbps Plan provided with D-Link DSL-224
2) 3 BHK DDA Flat with Router placed in Drawing Room but coverage, not that good throughout.
3) Using a Xiaomi Mi Router 3C as Wi-Fi Repeater but it is not reliable or able to maintain a stable connection.

Brief History: I was facing connectivity issues for quite some time on my old ADSL Connection wherein the DSL light would disappear frequently. On one of the engineer visit, I got to know about V-Fiber availability and upgraded to that but connection remained intermittent. After several escalations/engineer visits, the home wiring was changed and now, connection to D-Link DSL-224 from Airtel is stable, but Xiaomi still keeps things intermittent. Now that I have got the connection checked from exchange till my router with new cabling plus observed main router behavior, I believe it is the Xiaomi at fault now for intermittent Wi-Fi.

Please suggest some alternatives or anything that can help me in maintaining a stable and reliable wireless connectivity with coverage throughout my home which was the case before 2017. Using Airtel since 2007 though,

Thanks,

I believe it is the Xiaomi at fault now for intermittent Wi-Fi.

Thanks,
Did you by any chance set up the repeater in roaming mode? Meaning, are you able to see two Wifi networks,WiFiName and WiFiName_plus or just one network?

If it is in roaming mode, then only one Wi-Fi Name is shown, and chances are that devices still might be connecting to main router with weak signal. It's an inherent issue with WiFi roaming mode on repeater.

We had the same exact intermittent drop outs on BSNL with old Dlink adsl modem and two Asus N13U as repeaters. Right now I'm using just the Mi router with my 10yrs old adsl modem attached to it. I had even bought the Mi repeater as a back up, but never found the use of it as the router range is too good.

Did you by any chance set up the repeater in roaming mode? Meaning, are you able to see two Wifi networks,WiFiName and WiFiName_plus or just one network?

If it is in roaming mode, then only one Wi-Fi Name is shown, and chances are that devices still might be connecting to main router with weak signal. It's an inherent issue with WiFi roaming mode on repeater.

We had the same exact intermittent drop outs on BSNL with old Dlink adsl modem and two Asus N13U as repeaters. Right now I'm using just the Mi router with my 10yrs old adsl modem attached to it. I had even bought the Mi repeater as a back up, but never found the use of it as the router range is too good.

Hey, I have set it up in repeater mode so get 2 WiFi networks (one is the original and another one is Xiaomi extended) and what I have observed is, if I stay close to the main router and switch off the Xiaomi one, there is virtually 0 disconnects (unless the link from Airtel goes down which is not the case anymore after cabling change) but using the extended network of Xiaomi means, WiFi range is awesome but no stable connection. No issues with the main Airtel router though as it is faultless with all my devices and now, since my connection is a V Fiber, I can't use Xiaomi as a router anyways so bad purchase for me in terms of repeater!

If it's range you're looking for the TP-Link 941HP is pretty great. I have one at home and it blows away my more expensive routers in terms of range.
Looking at this router, but a bit puzzled by the mixed reviews on Amazon. Is it configured for lower power by default or something?

Looking at this router, but a bit puzzled by the mixed reviews on Amazon. Is it configured for lower power by default or something?
Yup. It is set to 70% by default, I think. However it is a setting which can be changed even if you choose to just go for the basic setup while setting it up.

And I believe for higher power, change setting to Japan or USA or some other country?
In the 941HP, you don't have to. I have set it to 100% and kept the region as India. It does point out that 'Transmit Power you set beyond the local criterion', but still allows it.

Back