Suggestion needed to purchase Inverter/Generator

nac

Adept
Hi!

I have no idea about these hardwares.
In my place there is a power shutdown everyday even in the weekends. I am thinking starting a business which needs a computer which is the main thing I need to run my business. To keep my computer turn on I need one of them. You guys please suggest what to purchase INVERTER/GENERATOR???

For your information following are the components of my computer. This may help you to tell how much capacity inverter or generator i would need.

17" lcd monitor,
dsl modem,
dvd drive
160 gb hard disk
intel processor and asus motherboard
one headphone
600 VA UPS (this keeps my system on about 20 - 45 minutes)

Atleast this(inverter/generator) should keep my computer turn on for around 7 hours(in case of emergency)
I google for them before starting this thread

*Give me some brand names of those products
*price of the product
*tell me something about operating cost (I can able to understand when it means generator, because it needs fuel. But what does it mean to inverter, please explain this)

Please write back... I am expecting some good suggestions
Thank you

well u will need a UPS,incase you don't even want the modem to restart during power cut.then you will need to go in for a ONLINE UPS.
if you don't mind the modem restarting then u can just get a line interactive models .
in ur case you will need UPS that runs on large batteries or many batteries ,such as the APC SUA1000UXI with a pair of 80ah batteries it can run for about 8hrs.
the UPS will cost around 11k with the new exise duties.a pair of 80ah batteries can cost anywhere b/w 9k to 18k depending on the life of batteries i.e 1 year upt 5year life but it mostly depends on the discharge rate,the low end flat plate batteries have a life of about 400cycles at 80% discharge state the high end ones have a life of 1200 cycles at 80% dsicharge rate.

I have connected my modem in UPS. So, I guess, there will be no disconnection of modem when power shuts down.
If you are still saying that my modem will get disconnect for a fraction of second, tell me how to check it whether it disconnects or not.

nac said:
I have connected my modem in UPS. So, I guess, there will be no disconnection of modem when power shuts down.
If you are still saying that my modem will get disconnect for a fraction of second, tell me how to check it whether it disconnects or not.

well if the modems restarts you will see the ADSL light blinking,if ur modem has a linear power supply based on SMPS design then it will not restart.

I see four lights

POWER-RED
LINK-ORANGE
DATA-GREEN
PC/USB-GREEN

The above are the four lights and its colour. Red and orange always steady they don't blink, even when power shut down. The other two greens are always blinking even when power shutdown.

I am attaching snapshot of when there is no power comes to ups. I indicating it by placing a white dot in network tab of task manager. Please find the attachment. And there will be icon showing LAN connection near by time in the task bar. It never shows me that modem is restarting or disconnected when power shut down.

I guess, modem is not restarting when there is no to ups. You can suggest me what to buy whether inverter/generator or online ups.

Attachments

• 430.jpg
    430.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 199
well it appears ur modem does have a linear power supply adapter.hence no restarts.

as said earlier the APC SUA1000uxi UPS is suggested for ur requirement.

a gernator can also be use but would cost about 30k,it will need to be placed outdoors for various reason smoke,noise etc,u may also need to add a change over switch.
some gererators may produce a initial power surge ,damaging every electronic items.
even if u do go in for a generator a ups is still required.

APC SUA1000UXI is UPS. Since I have already got one, I don't know why you're suggesting me this. This may be actually an inverter, by mistake am i taking it as UPS??? or this will fulfill my need i.e., keep my PC turn on for 7 hours.

And one more doubt...
This APC(alone) is enough to keep my computer for 7 hours or more when there is no power or I should buy two more batteries as you mentioned in one of your post.?????

nac said:
APC SUA1000UXI is UPS. Since I have already got one, I don't know why you're suggesting me this. This may be actually an inverter, by mistake am i taking it as UPS??? or this will fulfill my need i.e., keep my PC turn on for 7 hours.

And one more doubt...
This APC(alone) is enough to keep my computer for 7 hours or more when there is no power or I should buy two more batteries as you mentioned in one of your post.?????

well i didn't know u already have that UPS since u have said in ur first post in this thread that u have a 600va ups.
this APC is a UPS,yes it will full fill ur need provided u go with a pair of atleast 80ah batteries.

whats the current batteries that you have.

Ok, now I need two batteries. This sounds good.

You asked about what battery i got. Really I dont know what I got. So I google for it. My UPS is NUMERIC 600VA. It has inbuilt battery of this...

Battery Capacity, Nos. 12 V, 7AH, 1 No.

I guess, you are meaning something like lorry batteries. If that's the case I don't have any. As you mentioned, two batteries would cost around 9-18k.

Assume, I have two batteries, what I do with it. How can I connect it with my UPS. I am extremely sorry for asking each and every thing like a kid.

And thank you so much you are only one on the other side answering me. It would be good if some more on your side. At least to keep you at ease...

Thanks a lot

well ur numeric UPS cannot not be used.
i assumed by your previous post that u already have a APC SUA1000UXI,yes u will need a pair of 80ah batteries ,although they look like lorry batteries they are different internally,the batteries i suggest are tubular batteries from EXIDE such as 6EL75 comes with 4 years warranty or the EL80+ comes with 5 years warranty,if well maintained they can last anywhere b/w 7 to 10 years each battery would cost 8 to 10k.

if u want some cheaper option then batteries like the exide inva queen 80ah batteries which comes with 18month warranty should last about 3 years if maintained properly each battery should cost about 4800.

Well, now I need to buy APC and two batteries this would cost me around 30K.

I have asked some dealers and they have given these pricing for inverters

DEALER 1 - 400VA SUKAM 12V, 65 AMPS - RS. 8500/-
DEALER 2 - 600VA SUKAM 12V, 150AMPS - RS.15000/-
DEALER 3 - 800VA SUKAM 12V, 150AMPS - 16050/-

I told them what my need is i.e., To keep computer turn power on for 7-8hrs.
Each dealer have given different capacity of inverters. What should I choose now.

You have recommended for UPS and two batteries that cost around 30K
They have given this...
????

dude....you are getting confused.

The computer UPS that you have currently is meant to give 15-20 mins backup so that you can save your work and shutdown the system.

The APC SUA1000UXI people are talking about can be treated as a better version of Inverters that is specifically designed to run computer and other electronic equipments.

So, now to get 7 hrs of backup, you will have to keep your existing UPS aside and invest in a new Inverter/UPS.

800VA is what you should be going for. I see that you do not have a printer today. If there is any chance that you will add a printer to your list..consider atleast a 1400VA inverter/UPS. This is like a one time investment, so decide carefully.

2nd thing is the battery.

Here is how the arithmetic goes.

Assume 500Watts of continuous load. 8 hrs of continues backup. Your battery is 12V

So, 500 * 8 = 12 *AH

AH = ~333 Ah.

So your battery rating should around 300 Ah.

12 V batteries come with rating of 160 Ah and good ones will cost around 7-8k each.

You may need to put in 2 to get desired output.

Also, if you are low on budget, you can always get only 1 battery for now and if need be later on add another battery of similar rating. Additional batteries will give you additional juice to run your equipment for longer duration.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mohit

Oh!!!

I ain't know anything about these things as I said in my first post.
I guess, I annoyed you guys by asking silly questions and queries.

After amohit's post I thought I need to dig something in web before asking you guys. So I surf the web and found this article. I am damn sure that anyone who read this thread or anyone who need suggestion/guide to buy inverter this will be helpful. Please click this link and learn something before asking anything about inverters.

Gyan Collect: Inverter Buying Guide

Now I understood. What I should do?
As you said I should go for 1.4KVA(atleast) since this is gonna be one time investment. And buy one battery at this moment and add some more when needed.

(Where were you amohit, adder was alone yesterday. I guess, he have got annoyed a lot)

Thank you adder and amohit...
Thanks a lotttttttttttttttt...

well incase u go with a inverter,the switching time will not be as fast as a UPS,secondly a UPS also does voltage regulation,where as inverters only have a high and low cut off ,incase of extreme low/high voltage the inverter simply cuts off the main supply and goes into battery mode,
where as a UPS will regulate the output voltage to give a steady voltage.only beyond a certain pre set voltage will it go into battery mode.

again regarding the APC SUA1000UXI smart UPS its a 1000va but has a PF(power factor) of .8 meaning it can handle 800watts of load.it also outputs sinwave ,
compared to many cheap inverters which output square wave and has low efficiency a PF of around .6 meaning the cheaper 1400va inverter if it has a PF of .6 can only handle a load of 840watts.

Anyone didn't mention this, You should try UPS Selector.

UPS Selector Sizing Applications

to sum up, basically you need to do this:

1) Decide what you power up.

a) Computer: Go for UPS

b) light,fan and other things: Inverter

2) Come with total load of devices you want to run(e.g you need 350w for avg PC).

3) How much backup time you need?

Remember, the more backup time. the expensive it gets.

Hope it clears the Air

adder said:
well incase u go with a inverter,the switching time will not be as fast as a UPS,secondly a UPS also does voltage regulation,where as inverters only have a high and low cut off ,incase of extreme low/high voltage the inverter simply cuts off the main supply and goes into battery mode,
where as a UPS will regulate the output voltage to give a steady voltage.only beyond a certain pre set voltage will it go into battery mode.

again regarding the APC SUA1000UXI smart UPS its a 1000va but has a PF(power factor) of .8 meaning it can handle 800watts of load.it also outputs sinwave ,
compared to many cheap inverters which output square wave and has low efficiency a PF of around .6 meaning the cheaper 1400va inverter if it has a PF of .6 can only handle a load of 840watts.

I didn't mean that I am gonna take inverter. I was just saying that I came to understand what's inverter and what's UPS. And difference between them.
UPS(APC SUA1000UXI) is a device bought in lieu of two (inverter and UPS).
I did read about switching time. But not about cut off...

Thanks for the information

Gaurish - under USER SITE VOLTAGE - I don't what I should check...
by default its 230. Can I leave as it is....

Why dont you go for netbook with 8 hour battery life very cheap @ 15000.
I think you should settle for inverter it cost me 15000. I can run computer for 3 hour.
2 Light and 1 fan.

^I don't think net book would fulfill my needs. Anyhow, thank you for your suggestion and time.

Finally I decided to go for inverter.

Its good suggestion to go for Home UPS. Since I got UPS which gives around 20 minutes back up, its more than sufficient to start inverter.

As I got suggested I planned to go for 1400VA inverter. Since my budget is low, one battery for now and add one more in future. But when I inquired this to one dealer, he said SINCE I AM GOING FOR 1400VA, I SHOULD TAKE TWO 12V BATTERIES TO SUPPORT SUCH INVERTER.

What should I do now?

Back