Audio Suggestion on 5.1 Home Theater

matoind

Adept
I am planning to install a Home Theater in my room. I was thinking of going for Bose Lifestyle T20 after hugely stretching my budget to Rs 1.57L approx.

Just want some cheaper alternatives with good sound and minimal clutter.

Bose, really?

Klipsch Ref series + midrange Yamaha/HK receiver the way to go. Even the smaller refs sound way better than overpriced Blose.

The only reason to buy that brand is if you have a lot of money and no brains or taste.

Bose, really?

Klipsch Ref series + midrange Yamaha/HK receiver the way to go. Even the smaller refs sound way better than overpriced Blose.

The only reason to buy that brand is if you have a lot of money and no brains or taste.

Do you have any Idea where these can be available in Delhi and how much do they cost?

Are you looking for something compact or do you have space for say floorstanders ? If you want something compact and with you budget try contacting theaudiopeople and see how they've priced the Monitor Audio Mass 10. Came across a forum thread that rated it favourably compared to other compact systems

In Delhi try visiting here - http://www.cinebels.com/stores/delhi.html for Klipsch

Bose, really?

I think most of the purchases are just uninformed ones :lol: heck I was considering it when I couldn't find anything compact locally

Thanks fir suggestions. I am looking for compact systems instead of floor standing. Also please suggest models / prices and from where can I get them.

Sorry, had missed checking in on this thread.

Most musical receivers are NAD, though the Indian importer LaKozy adds a massive markup, about 40% over distributor price. Grey will be at least 20% cheaper, unless you want the assurance of the warranty.

Marantz also makes decent music receivers, though probably not at the level of NAD. They also are sold at very favourable prices. Then would be Harman-Kardon. How much money is left over for the amp?

At your total outlay, I would keep about 1L for the speaker, about 45k for the receiver, and the rest for cables (trust me, it's important).

Sorry, had missed checking in on this thread.

Most musical receivers are NAD, though the Indian importer LaKozy adds a massive markup, about 40% over distributor price. Grey will be at least 20% cheaper, unless you want the assurance of the warranty.

Marantz also makes decent music receivers, though probably not at the level of NAD. They also are sold at very favourable prices. Then would be Harman-Kardon. How much money is left over for the amp?

At your total outlay, I would keep about 1L for the speaker, about 45k for the receiver, and the rest for cables (trust me, it's important).

Any suggestion with the configuration?

The T747: T 747 A/V Surround Sound Receiver - NAD Electronics

The 60 watts rating is all channels driven, which is a lot. Conventional power is twice that at least, and is more than enough for the Minx. Should be 40k ($700 retail) but I suspect it will actually be more in India.

I normally recommend the SR5005 if you can find it, even though it's a bit old, it does HD audio decoding, has very good auto-calibration and preamp outputs to connect amplifiers later. No networking though, and the USB input only reads MP3s (iPods work great though). The 5007 is about 50k and may stretch your budget a bit.

Finally there's HK, the AVR355 is also at the top end of your budget but is also a solid bet. Note that those rating the power at 50 or 60 watts are actually far more truthful than those calling their receivers '130 watts' or some such ridiculous figure. Marantz is also guilty of this and their actual power rating is closer to 60 than to 130W/ch. The higher numbers indicate the power output capability of a single channel, whereas the lower ones indicate the power output capability of the entire receiver when all channels are going full steam.

I'm not so sure about 2012/2013 models but I could safely say that the usual Denon/Onkyo/Sony will be much poorer sounding than these.

The T747: T 747 A/V Surround Sound Receiver - NAD Electronics

The 60 watts rating is all channels driven, which is a lot. Conventional power is twice that at least, and is more than enough for the Minx. Should be 40k ($700 retail) but I suspect it will actually be more in India.

I normally recommend the SR5005 if you can find it, even though it's a bit old, it does HD audio decoding, has very good auto-calibration and preamp outputs to connect amplifiers later. No networking though, and the USB input only reads MP3s (iPods work great though). The 5007 is about 50k and may stretch your budget a bit.

Finally there's HK, the AVR355 is also at the top end of your budget but is also a solid bet. Note that those rating the power at 50 or 60 watts are actually far more truthful than those calling their receivers '130 watts' or some such ridiculous figure. Marantz is also guilty of this and their actual power rating is closer to 60 than to 130W/ch. The higher numbers indicate the power output capability of a single channel, whereas the lower ones indicate the power output capability of the entire receiver when all channels are going full steam.

I'm not so sure about 2012/2013 models but I could safely say that the usual Denon/Onkyo/Sony will be much poorer sounding than these.

This Av receiver is 7.1. Will it go with 5.1 setup?

NAD is available at Lakozy, you should be able to get the number from their website.

The Marantz should be available with Hifimart.

Today I went to Fx Entertainment. The mistake I made is that I didnt inform them of the system I wanted to buy. So they did not have MINX 325 (300W woofer with twin Drivers). They gave me a demo on 500W woofer with Single cubes. They were a big disappointment. Even the shop owner was recommending Mordaunt instead of Cambridge although they are the distributors. (As per the salesman, he said the Mordaunt would give better sound at the same price).

Marantz SR6006 seems to be good from specs.

Hifimart is giving a good price. But Hifimart is in Mumbai. I wonder that how will I get good service for the system in Delhi.

Back