PC Peripherals Suggestions for new PSU

Emil

Skilled
My current system is a AMD 64 x3600 CPU with 2x 1GB RAM, 2x HDDs (Seagate 320 GB + WD 500 GB) in a Zebronics cabinet. Some years ago I had problems with my HDD (it was only the Seagate one back then) and replaced the stock PSU with a 400 W VIP Gold IIRC. My system has worked fine since then until about a month ago I started having slowdown and intermittent HDD problems.
I plan to change the PSU to something more reliable. In future, I might upgrade my CPU/Mobo/RAM and will use the same PSU then. I am not a gamer and have no intention to buy a graphic card in future either.
I am looking for suggestion for a decent, reliable PSU, not necessarily wonderful efficiency and performance but adequate for my needs without busting the bank. I guess 350-400W spec should be enough. I have not been active on this forum in the last few years and am out of touch. I believe there used to be some FPS brand which was reliable yet reasonably priced.
I was looking at the Corsair Builder Series VS450 which seems well priced.

APC Back-UPS 600 -2200/-
ups =\= psu. He wants power supply. :rolleyes:

@Emil, budget? If you can spend 6k get Corsair RM450. If you don't want to spend that much, get Seasonic 430/520 if their after sales is good in your area. Else get Antec VP450. Builder series psu's are very low quality now. Tad better than the iball or cheap Chinese knock offs.

Yes, i read somewhere that the RM line up is a replacement for HX series. I didn't know that RM series was bad. I read reviews on the 550w & 650w version saying they were good. :(

@6pack - Question is not how much I can spend. I have a kind of low end rig now and even in future, I will not upgrade to a high end rig. Perhaps a i3 and Mobo with onboard graphics. All I want is a reasonably reliable PSU that will not end up burning out my rig. Any idea whether Seasonic has good service in Pune? Is the model
Seasonic S12II 430 BRONZE? The Antec VP450 and 450P are well priced I am fine with those if they are good.
@Crazy_Eddy - so which one would you recommend?

^But you suggested Corsair not Seasonic. Secondly, is the CX-500 qualitatively better than CX-430? I remember hearing a long time back that the Seasonic and Corsair were the same unit. The seasonic 430 W is about a 1000 bucks more than Corsair.

Latest update
I found that my current PSU was coated with a dusty layer which was blocking the ventilation holes. I cleaned it up with a brush and put in both my HDDs back in. The system is purring along on all cylinders just fine now. So problem solved for now. I'm still looking for a good PSU but the urgency is gone. I have time to decide.

Isn't the Corsair CX430 a rebadged Seasonic? If so then why shouldn't I go for the Corsair? As I see it, Corsair has better ASS as well as far lower price. What am I missing here?

The Corsair CX430 is not a rebadged Seasonic. Long back, the VX450 and the CX400 (both discontinued) were the only Seasonic rebadges in Corsair's budget lineup. Now, apart from some models in the flagship Corsair AX series and the HX 650, Seasonic is no longer present in Corsair's lineup.
The VS is a PSU that was built exclusively for the Chinese market (i.e. as cheap as possible).

Short story = Corsair no longer makes good PSUs at the budget and even mid-range segment.

A "reliable" PSU implies one that would work predictably. IMHO only the PSUs listed in the Recommended PSU guide are reliable (minus the Antec VP550P/VP650P since they've been revised to an unknown V2 variant)

P.s.: Please disregard bssunil's recommendations for PSUs, since he will recommend just about anything :p

^ Thanks for your input. I guess you mean lots of cables/connectors. I am not a gamer. I do not have a graphics card. All I'm powering is a AMD Athlon x2 CPU and a Mobo with onboard gfx, a couple of HDDs and an optical drive. The number of cables on my existing VIP PSU are enough with some to spare so unless the Seasonic S12II 430 is missing some connectors I need, the 1 k price difference is not justifiable. Isn't it?

Back