Suggestions for setting up a NAS box for office use

fragpic

Adept
We need a central drive in our office network consisting of 5 computers to store all the data as speeds are very slow when were are trying to copy files from 1 pc to the other.
My idea is to replace all the hard drives in the pcs and replace them with small capacity SSDs and use it as OS disk.
All the data will be stored in a single NAS box which will be accessed by everyone.

So keeping my requirements for stability in mind I have decided not to go for a custom build and will just buy an off the shelf 2 bay NAS box.
Most of the files will be 100 to 300mb(coreldraw artworks)

1. Qnap TS212(diskless)-13K
2. Synology DS212J(diskless)-17K
3. Seagate Black armor NAS 220(2TB)-18K

I have short listed the following models ,so please gimme some suggestions a sto whoch model to chose and any other help also would be greatly appreciated

TIA

I've used the a higher end Synology and its software is pretty darn good. It can run its own torrents/manage downloads/webservers whatever and is pretty good. So the software does play an important role in the whole experience so keep that in the purchase consideration as well

For my previous office I had bought and set up a Qnap TS5xx(5-bay) NAS. It served around 40 users with pretty heavy usage and worked fine. I had run some performance tests but dont remember the exact read-write speeds, just remember that it was very good. The usage scenario you have mentioned is much lighter than that, since you will be sharing larger files among 5 computers. It is generally usage involving smaller files that kills read-write speeds. So using one of the 3 NAS boxes you have listed will improve your filesharing quite a bit.

I have checked all the reviews and i I have finally decided on the Netgear Readynas Duo v2
It's got the fastest proccy(1.6ghz compared to 1.2ghz) on the rest and also the ram used is DDR3.
Lacks all the fancy features of the Synology like DLNA etc..,but I dont need them anyways.
Performance wise it is about 30% faster than the Synology and Qnap Nas

Back