Budget 0-20k Suggestions needed for a minor upgrade: Cabinet, RAM, HDD and Thermal Compound

boogeyman

Adept
Hello All,

Now that the festive season is here and the old-workhorse needs a face-lift, I would request for some suggestions. Template below:

Q: What is your budget?
10K Can increase by 1-2K if needed

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

• CPU - AMD Phenom II x 4 925 2.8GHz,
  • Motherboard - MSI 785G-E53
  • GPU - ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB DDR5
  • RAM - 2x2GB DDR3 GSkill 9-9-9-24
  • Monitor - Samsung 2233
  • SMPS - Corsair CX400W
  • Cabinet - Circle :ashamed:(remnant of an old PC )
  • HDD - 1x Seagate ST2000DL003 2TB
  • 1x WD WD10EARS 1TB
  • CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper TX3, single fan

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
All of the above except cabinet. RAM can be discarded if necessary

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

• Cabinet with USB 3.0 support. Need a bigger one with good cable management and cooling features. Looks not *that* important. I know that my motherboard does not support USB3.0 now but later on when I upgrade 1-2 years down the line, I dont wanna spend on another cabbie again.
  • RAM - Looking to upgrade to 8 or 16 GB if good deals available
  • HDD - Please suggest a stable 1 or 2 TB HDD for having the OS. I'm also open to buy an SSD if a good deal is available. However, I would be running the system 24x7. So I prefer stability over performance
  • Thermal Cooling Compund - Won't be over-clocking but I still need a suggestion to apply and forget and keep temperatures cool
  • Open to any other suggestions as well

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Final config for 1-2 years

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

• Download rig, 24x7 operation
  • Browsing
  • Desktop Processing
  • HTPC
  • Light Gaming
  • Watching HD movies
  • Running GNS3 and VMWare as well
  • All-in-one PC

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

• NZXT Gamma. However it doesnt have USB 3.0
  • Corsair. Even GSkill to match the existing RAM
  • Seagate for the HDD
  • Open to suggestions for all of the above, though

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Racing - at low to medium settings
FPS - Low to medium settings

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1280x728
Desktop - 1920x1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

• Windows 7 64 bit
  • GNS3 and VMWare

Yeah,Here are few options-
Considering budget for Case Nzxt Source 210 Elite-2.6k OR Corsair Carbide 400R-5.4k are two VFM options.
HDD-Segate Barracuda 7200.14-4.3k[The 1TB HDD is more reliable than 2TB]
Ram-Gskill RipjawsX 2X4GB 1600mhz-3.4k
Thermal compound-Arctic Silver MX-5-0.5k OR Noctua NT-H1-0.6k
These are the best within the budget,Hope this helps.:)
Anyone? Bump

Yeah,Here are few options-
Considering budget for Case Nzxt Source 210 Elite-2.6k OR Corsair Carbide 400R-5.4k are two VFM options.
HDD-Segate Barracuda 7200.14-4.3k[The 1TB HDD is more reliable than 2TB]
Ram-Gskill RipjawsX 2X4GB 1600mhz-3.4k
Thermal compound-Arctic Silver MX-5-0.5k OR Noctua NT-H1-0.6k
These are the best within the budget,Hope this helps.:)

Thanks, mate.

Few questions:
1. How many HDD bays does the NZXT Source 210 Elite have? Is it the cheapest, half-decent option with USB 3.0?
2. Warranty of Seagate 1TB?
3. Will I be able to use my old 2x2GB sticks with these (Gskill RipjawsX 2X4GB 1600mhz)? Would it cause any issues? Also does my motherboard support 1600 Mhz?

You can fit up to 5 HDD's in Nzxt Source Elite 210,You can add more in above 5.25" bay.
Segate 1TB HDD has 2 years warranty.
Yes you'll be able to use your old stick with the Gskill RipjawsX 1600mhz,Which ram do you have can you give me the details?
Thanks, mate.

Few questions:
1. How many HDD bays does the NZXT Source 210 Elite have? Is it the cheapest, half-decent option with USB 3.0?
2. Warranty of Seagate 1TB?
3. Will I be able to use my old 2x2GB sticks with these (Gskill RipjawsX 2X4GB 1600mhz)? Would it cause any issues? Also does my motherboard support 1600 Mhz?

You can fit up to 5 HDD's in Nzxt Source Elite 210,You can add more in above 5.25" bay.
Segate 1TB HDD has 2 years warranty.
Yes you'll be able to use your old stick with the Gskill RipjawsX 1600mhz,Which ram do you have can you give me the details?

Thats Excellent!!! Seriously a VFM cabbie.

I cant find the 1TB Seagate Barracuda in stock, anywhere cheap online. And in the places where it is, its above 6k. Might have to pay a visit to Lamington.

I have the below RAM. 2 sticks of 2GB

Manufacturer G.Skill
Model F3-10600CL9-2GBNT
Serial Number [unknown]
Capacity 2048 MBytes
Speed 667 MHz (667 x 2 = 1333)

Will a GSkill RipJaws be compatible with this model? What about Corsair Vengeance? Will either of them be compatible with my mobo (MSI 785G-E53)?

Your current 1333mhz ram will work with the newer 1600mhz Gskill RipjawsX and you mobo,Though they'll under clock to 1333mhz and work well.Since you've Gskill ram it's better go with Gskill RipjawsX,Cheers.
Thats Excellent!!! Seriously a VFM cabbie.

I cant find the 1TB Seagate Barracuda in stock, anywhere cheap online. And in the places where it is, its above 6k. Might have to pay a visit to Lamington.

I have the below RAM. 2 sticks of 2GB

Will a GSkill RipJaws be compatible with this model? What about Corsair Vengeance? Will either of them be compatible with my mobo (MSI 785G-E53)?

NZXT Source 210 Elite in Black Colour is not available anywhere in stock (anywhere cheap, i mean) :(

How are Cooler Master cabbies? Should I wait for NZXT to come back in stock or go ahead with CM? If yes, which options in CM for USB 3.0 support? Cheap ones (2-3k) please :ashamed:

Or how about I get an NZXT Gamma and add a front USB 3.0 bracket to it?

If NZXT Source 210 Elite is not available then go with CM Elite 311 Plus-3.4k,If you're ready to get an external USB 3.0 bracket then Nzxt Gamma is a great case,Good airflow,dust filters and cable management.You'll get Nzxt Gamma for cheaper 2.4k,Cheers.
NZXT Source 210 Elite in Black Colour is not available anywhere in stock (anywhere cheap, i mean) :(

How are Cooler Master cabbies? Should I wait for NZXT to come back in stock or go ahead with CM? If yes, which options in CM for USB 3.0 support? Cheap ones (2-3k) please :ashamed:

Or how about I get an NZXT Gamma and add a front USB 3.0 bracket to it?

If NZXT Source 210 Elite is not available then go with CM Elite 311 Plus-3.4k,If you're ready to get an external USB 3.0 bracket then Nzxt Gamma is a great case,Good airflow,dust filters and cable management.You'll get Nzxt Gamma for cheaper 2.4k,Cheers.

Thanks. But how much does the USB 3.0 bracket cost for Gamma? Will it occupy the external 5.4 inch bay?

This is the cheapest one i could find-BITFENIX USB 3.0 FRONT PANEL 2-PORT VERSION,,It'll fit in 3.5" bay,Maybe you might get it cheaper locally but it won't fit in Nzxt Gamma 5.4",The 5.4" USB 3.0 bay would be above 1.7k so it'll get costlier for you.Here's a link to Nzxt Source Elite 210-http://www.bitfang.com/nzxt-source-210-elite-computer-cabinet-pid35893/
Thanks. But how much does the USB 3.0 bracket cost for Gamma? Will it occupy the external 5.4 inch bay?

This is the cheapest one i could find-BITFENIX USB 3.0 FRONT PANEL 2-PORT VERSION,,It'll fit in 3.5" bay,Maybe you might get it cheaper locally but it won't fit in Nzxt Gamma 5.4",The 5.4" USB 3.0 bay would be above 1.7k so it'll get costlier for you.Here's a link to Nzxt Source Elite 210-NZXT Source 210 Elite Mid Tower Cabinet, Compare and Buy latest Cases Online in India: bitFang.com

I called up Bitfang as well. They also dont have the black colour in stock :(.

Back