Budget 21-30k Suggestions Needed For Upgrade

krishnandu

Skilled
I'm using the below configuration for the last 10 years. Although nothing died, but it has become really slow to continue working on it.

1. What is your budget?
    • Around 30K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel i5 2400
    • Motherboard - Intel DH67CL
    • GPU - AMD Radeon HD6770
    • RAM - GSkill Ripjaws 4GB + 4GB = 8GB
    • Monitor - Dell ST2220L
    • PSU - Seasonic S12 II 520W
    • HDD - WD 500GB
    • SSD - Samsung 850 Evo
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • GPU - AMD Radeon HD6770
    • Monitor - Dell ST2220L
    • PSU - Seasonic S12 II 520W
    • HDD - WD 500GB
    • SSD - Samsung 850 Evo
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU
    • Motherboard
    • RAM. Will 2 sticks of 8GB work for my purpose?
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No. Wish to continue for long term.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Kolkata
    • Amazon
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing (A lot. I keep 10-15 tabs open with Chrome. I work on online CRM, so that's a necessity for me)
    • Photo Editing (Photoshop, Lightroom)
    • Video Editing (Premiere Pro)
    • Coding (.NET, NodeJS, Python)
    • Heavy IDE's (Visual Studio, Android Studio)
    • Database (SQL Server) - For Home Use Only
    • 24x7 operation (I generally don't turn off my PC)
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • I'd like to stick with Intel. Like, may upgrade from 2400 to 9400 maybe? That works for me.
    • I have been looking at this thread https://techenclave.com/community/t...or-casual-gaming-and-ps-video-editing.189498/ which closely matches my requirement. But somehow I saw my friends suffer with AMD Rigs. I'm not sure if AMD has overcome those situations of getting overheated/going kaput within a few days. But if AMD has recovered of those issues and if AMD can prove to be value for money I don't mind going with AMD too.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No. I generally won't play games.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1920x1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit

AMD Ryzen series CPUs run cooler than their Intel 9/8th gen counterparts at roughly similar performance levels. Those hot running AMD days are long gone and the wheels have turned since 2017.

I would suggest to wait for a bit till the full stack of Ryzen CPUs/APUs come out after 7th July before you take the dive.

Moreover Intel might be slashing prices of their CPUs by 10-15% to counter AMD as Intel has no viable alternative if Zen 2 rumours/leaks turn out to be true.

AMD Ryzen series CPUs run cooler than their Intel 9/8th gen counterparts at roughly similar performance levels. Those hot running AMD days are long gone and the wheels have turned since 2017.

I would suggest to wait for a bit till the full stack of Ryzen CPUs/APUs come out after 7th July before you take the dive.

Moreover Intel might be slashing prices of their CPUs by 10-15% to counter AMD as Intel has no viable alternative if Zen 2 rumours/leaks turn out to be true.
Thanks a lot [emoji846]

I'm not sure about the rumours you are talking about. I'll Google it though!

Okay I'll wait till the date you mentioned and again reply you here in case you want to suggest anything new than that mentioned in the thread.

Thanks a lot [emoji846]

I'm not sure about the rumours you are talking about. I'll Google it though!

Okay I'll wait till the date you mentioned and again reply you here in case you want to suggest anything new than that mentioned in the thread.
The leaks and rumors suggest Ryzen 3000 series is going to kick Intel's butt hard when it comes to performance. Intel has been facing issues with their 10nm CPUs and hence they had to stretch their 14nm process a lot. All Intel CPUs since last 5 years or so have been using versions of the 14 nm process.

Ryzen 3000 series is fabricated on TSMC 7 nm node and so Intel runs hotter as they have to bump up cores/clocks on a 14nm node.

Nonetheless the cheapest Ryzen 3600 is around 200$ which will overshoot your budget if you're looking at 16 GB RAM.

The leaks and rumors suggest Ryzen 3000 series is going to kick Intel's butt hard when it comes to performance. Intel has been facing issues with their 10nm CPUs and hence they had to stretch their 14nm process a lot. All Intel CPUs since last 5 years or so have been using versions of the 14 nm process.

Ryzen 3000 series is fabricated on TSMC 7 nm node and so Intel runs hotter as they have to bump up cores/clocks on a 14nm node.

Nonetheless the cheapest Ryzen 3600 is around 200$ which will overshoot your budget if you're looking at 16 GB RAM.

Okay. In that case, do I need to wait till 7th July? Because I won't be able to afford the latest lineups even after they released right?

Also do you think I need the latest lineups for my purpose?

I'm confused with this Ryzen 3, 5, 7, 9 etc. Can you please validate if my understanding is correct? Ryzen 9 > Ryzen 7 > Ryzen 5 > Ryzen 3 right? By > I mean better than.

If true, then why AMD has already released Ryzen 3 isn't it?

Anyway, in the above mentioned thread (which closely matches my requirements), the guy had chosen the below setup
  • Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G -13k
  • Motherboard - Asus Prime B450M-K -7k (or other B450 motherboard - please advise)
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 8GB -6k
Is this valid for me? Or this is like outdated?

Okay. In that case, do I need to wait till 7th July? Because I won't be able to afford the latest lineups even after they released right?

Also do you think I need the latest lineups for my purpose?

I'm confused with this Ryzen 3, 5, 7, 9 etc. Can you please validate if my understanding is correct? Ryzen 9 > Ryzen 7 > Ryzen 5 > Ryzen 3 right? By > I mean better than.

If true, then why AMD has already released Ryzen 3 isn't it?

Anyway, in the above mentioned thread (which closely matches my requirements), the guy had chosen the below setup
  • Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G -13k
  • Motherboard - Asus Prime B450M-K -7k (or other B450 motherboard - please advise)
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 8GB -6k
Is this valid for me? Or this is like outdated?

The numbering is absolutely correct in terms of price/perf. Higher the number better the performance.

However theres some clarifciation needed here I think. Zen is the architecture and Ryzen 3/5/7/9 are the CPU models arranged in ascending order by cores/clocks.
So Zen 1 architecture had CPUs like Ryzen 7 1700,RYZEN 5 1600,Ryzen 3 1200 etc.
Zen+ architecture had CPUs like Ryzen 7 2700, Ryzen 5 2600 etc.
Zen 2(the one to launch on 7th July) architecture will have CPUs like Ryzen 9 3900X,Ryzen 7 3600 etc.
The first number of the model denotes the series e.g. Ryzen 3000 series. The same is true for Intel as well e.g. i9-9900K is a 9th gen CPU, 8700K is 8th gen and so on.

I think you should go for a 3400G which is about to launch at the same price point on 7th July.

The RAM should be good to go with the 3400G.

P.S. If you pick an AMD APU the internal GPU is far better than your HD 6770 and it would be redundant.

This a comparison of the older 2400G vs HD6770. The 3400G ought to be even better as the clocks are higher.

One other thing to keep in mind if you pick a 3400G with a B450 motherboard.
The motherboard will have been manufactured before the CPU came out and the BIOS out of the box won't detect the newer 3400G at all.
When you buy it at say mdcomputers in Chandni ask Palash to update the BIOS before taking it home as you won't be able to do it with the 3400G.

This BIOS released on 21st June will support newer CPUs for sure.

Go to vedant or MDComputers to buy all this stuff. These are my standard go-to for all PC stuff. MD is good even if you are a new guy. They won't shaft you.
Vedant is good for someone who has done research before jumping in if you get what I mean.

Zen is the architecture and Ryzen 3/5/7/9 are the CPU models arranged in ascending order by cores/clocks.
Zen 2(the one to launch on 7th July) architecture will have CPUs like Ryzen 9 3900X,Ryzen 7 3600 etc.
The first number of the model denotes the series e.g. Ryzen 3000 series. The same is true for Intel as well e.g. i9-9900K is a 9th gen CPU, 8700K is 8th gen and so on.

Adding to above information which is spot on for CPUs, but APUs (CPU + Vega iGPU) differ from this.
Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G is Zen 1 architecture with Vega iGPU.
Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G is Zen+ architecture with Vega iGPU.

What essentially means is APUs lag one generation behind CPUs.

Hope I have not confused you further :p

The numbering is absolutely correct in terms of price/perf. Higher the number better the performance.

However theres some clarifciation needed here I think. Zen is the architecture and Ryzen 3/5/7/9 are the CPU models arranged in ascending order by cores/clocks.

I think you should go for a 3400G which is about to launch at the same price point on 7th July.

The RAM should be good to go with the 3400G.

P.S. If you pick an AMD APU the internal GPU is far better than your HD 6770 and it would be redundant.

This a comparison of the older 2400G vs HD6770. The 3400G ought to be even better as the clocks are higher.

One other thing to keep in mind if you pick a 3400G with a B450 motherboard.
The motherboard will have been manufactured before the CPU came out and the BIOS out of the box won't detect the newer 3400G at all.
When you buy it at say mdcomputers in Chandni ask Palash to update the BIOS before taking it home as you won't be able to do it with the 3400G.

This BIOS released on 21st June will support newer CPUs for sure.

View attachment 80881

Go to vedant or MDComputers to buy all this stuff. These are my standard go-to for all PC stuff. MD is good even if you are a new guy. They won't shaft you.
Vedant is good for someone who has done research before jumping in if you get what I mean.

Wow! That's a great explanation! Yes, me being a little well versed with Intel, this explanation was super easy for me to get! Thanks a lot again :)

Yes, I generally buy it from Arihant / MD / Vedant (whoever offers me cheapest). Generally it's always been Arihant / MD. Vedant quotes a little bit higher.

So regarding the GPU HD6770 I have, should I plug it into this new system at all? Considering the fact that inbuilt GPU is better than the discrete one I own?

Thanks a lot for the BIOS info :) So B450 Mobo is fine for me right? Or you'd recommend some latest chipset instead?
Post automatically merged:

Adding to above information which is spot on for CPUs, but APUs (CPU + Vega iGPU) differ from this.
Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G is Zen 1 architecture with Vega iGPU.
Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G is Zen+ architecture with Vega iGPU.

What essentially means is APUs lag one generation behind CPUs.

Hope I have not confused you further :p

Well, a little bit though! I didn't get the point that "Why APU's lag one generation behind CPU's"?

Isn't it like Intel releasing same gen CPU's and APU's at same time? Like i5-9400 and i5-9600 (Not considering the unlocked K version / without graphics F versions for simplicity)?

Wow! That's a great explanation! Yes, me being a little well versed with Intel, this explanation was super easy for me to get! Thanks a lot again :)

Yes, I generally buy it from Arihant / MD / Vedant (whoever offers me cheapest). Generally it's always been Arihant / MD. Vedant quotes a little bit higher.

So regarding the GPU HD6770 I have, should I plug it into this new system at all? Considering the fact that inbuilt GPU is better than the discrete one I own?

Thanks a lot for the BIOS info :) So B450 Mobo is fine for me right? Or you'd recommend some latest chipset instead?

I always buy all my stuff from MD. Arihant I never really went for. I got a 8 TB WD Red for around 27k from Velocity and then I got another 8 TB WD Red from Vedant @23k which was quite a bit cheaper. I went to their store and saw their stock of high end parts and that's why I recommended them. They quoted me a little lesser than MD as well. When I mentioned MD to them they were a bit piffed and boasted that "tell me their quote...I will do you one better". Most probably they are trying to usurp MD's position as the go-to high end gear shop in Chandni. I would suggest taking a quote from MD and then telling Vedant that so that they lower their prices.MD generally doesn't respond to this tactic.

I once managed to damage the CPU socket pins of a MSI Z87 mobo and MD's Palash sorted out the RMA for me. If I had gone to MSI directly it would have been rejected most probably. If you want the numbers for these two shops I can give them to you. You can get quotes from them without taking the trip to CR Avenue(Thats what I do all the time :)).

You can skip the HD6770 entirely. Go for the B450 motherboard as the higher end X470/upcoming X570 mobos are overkill for your usage.

Well, a little bit though! I didn't get the point that "Why APU's lag one generation behind CPU's"?

Isn't it like Intel releasing same gen CPU's and APU's at same time? Like i5-9400 and i5-9600 (Not considering the unlocked K version / without graphics F versions for simplicity)?

Read from here-

Last edited:
I always buy all my stuff from MD. Arihant I never really went for. I got a 8 TB WD Red for around 27k from Velocity and then I got another 8 TB WD Red from Vedant @23k which was quite a bit cheaper. I went to their store and saw their stock of high end parts and that's why I recommended them. They quoted me a little lesser than MD as well. When I mentioned MD to them they were a bit piffed and boasted that "tell me their quote...I will do you one better". Most probably they are trying to usurp MD's position as the go-to high end gear shop in Chandni. I would suggest taking a quote from MD and then telling Vedant that so that they lower their prices.MD generally doesn't respond to this tactic.

I once managed to damage the CPU socket pins of a MSI Z87 mobo and MD's Palash sorted out the RMA for me. If I had gone to MSI directly it would have been rejected most probably. If you want the numbers for these two shops I can give them to you. You can get quotes from them without taking the trip to CR Avenue(Thats what I do all the time :)).

You can skip the HD6770 entirely. Go for the B450 motherboard as the higher end X470/upcoming X570 mobos are overkill for your usage.

Read from here-

Thanks a lot :) It's clear now :)

Thanks for the tricks! Actually I play this same trick with Arihant and for me, till now, Arihant have been my go-to place for my desktop needs (unless I get it cheaper online due to some ongoing deals). I'll go to Vedant and MD both and check their prices before playing on the trick at Arihant and Vedant to get the cheapest possible option!

So here goes the final configuration
  • Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 3400G - ~13k
  • Motherboard - Asus Prime B450M-K - ~7k
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 8GB x 2 - ~6k
Thanks a lot for all the help :)

Thanks a lot :) It's clear now :)

Thanks for the tricks! Actually I play this same trick with Arihant and for me, till now, Arihant have been my go-to place for my desktop needs (unless I get it cheaper online due to some ongoing deals). I'll go to Vedant and MD both and check their prices before playing on the trick at Arihant and Vedant to get the cheapest possible option!

So here goes the final configuration
  • Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 3400G - ~13k
  • Motherboard - Asus Prime B450M-K - ~7k
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 8GB x 2 - ~6k
Thanks a lot for all the help :)
There's one thing I just thought of(Should have cottoned on to it earlier looking at use case which is mostly productivity workloads and not gamer-y stuff like me:().
You need CPU horsepower far more than gaming power and so I would suggest to go for a Ryzen 5 2600 instead of the G series APUs and keep your HD6770 for monitor display. You get 2 extra cores compared to the 3400G and the underlying architecture is Zen+ for both 2600 and 3400G. Single threaded applications might run a bit better on the 3400G since it is clocked at 3.7 GHz base/4.2 GHz boost vs 3.4 GHz base/3.9 GHz boost for the 2600 but the 2600 will demolish the 3400G in applications which use multiple cores simulatenously or in case of multitasking with a large number of open applications on Windows.

Keep in mind though that Premiere Pro runs better on Intel(based on tech Youtubers' feedback e.g. LinusTechtips,GamersNexus etc.) due to Adobe/Intel partnership and Quicksync support on Intel but at your budget Intel doesn't have a viable competitor which can outgun the 2600 at Video/photo editing workloads. Look up a few reviews on anandtech,techpowerup etc. for comparing the performance vs other Intel chips.

Moreover the pricing will drop for the 2600 once 3000 series launch so you might need to wait for 1-1.5 months for the reduced pricings to come into effect in the Indian market.

There's one thing I just thought of(Should have cottoned on to it earlier looking at use case which is mostly productivity workloads and not gamer-y stuff like me:().
You need CPU horsepower far more than gaming power and so I would suggest to go for a Ryzen 5 2600 instead of the G series APUs and keep your HD6770 for monitor display. You get 2 extra cores compared to the 3400G and the underlying architecture is Zen+ for both 2600 and 3400G. Single threaded applications might run a bit better on the 3400G since it is clocked at 3.7 GHz base/4.2 GHz boost vs 3.4 GHz base/3.9 GHz boost for the 2600 but the 2600 will demolish the 3400G in applications which use multiple cores simulatenously or in case of multitasking with a large number of open applications on Windows.

Keep in mind though that Premiere Pro runs better on Intel(based on tech Youtubers' feedback e.g. LinusTechtips,GamersNexus etc.) due to Adobe/Intel partnership and Quicksync support on Intel but at your budget Intel doesn't have a viable competitor which can outgun the 2600 at Video/photo editing workloads. Look up a few reviews on anandtech,techpowerup etc. for comparing the performance vs other Intel chips.

Moreover the pricing will drop for the 2600 once 3000 series launch so you might need to wait for 1-1.5 months for the reduced pricings to come into effect in the Indian market.

Okay. So do you think I should go with 3600 then? Or how about Intel i5 9th Gen? Like 9400 or 9600?

Back