Suggestions to drive 2.1 speakers

codelad

Disciple
After the control unit in my Edifier C2 2.1 speaker system died, I'm stuck with just the working speakers.

After initially deciding to buy a new 2.1 system (even put up a WTB thread here), I'm now considering buying an amplifier to drive the existing speakers. All 3 speakers are in impeccable condition, and I've grown used to how they sound. I'm no audiophile, and merely use them for general listening and would love to retain them if I could.

My questions:

1. Is there a decent chance that the speakers would still sound the same (or nearly as well as they did) with a different amplifier to drive them?

2. What numbers do I need to look for, when I'm searching for an amplifier to suit them?

3. Is this even a good idea?

Also appreciate suggestions/pointers on what and where to buy. I'm on a 5~10k-ish budget. Thank you.

Could consider getting them repaired ?

I did (and still do). But living out here in the suburbs, I fear it may not be worth the trouble during these times. I did take it all apart to look for obvious failures (blown caps, flaky solders, etc.) that I could fix myself, and couldn't find any.

An update. Managed to replace the capacitors on the amplifier circuit and the system is up and running again. Thanks to @cute.bandar for the nudge towards "repair".

I actually replaced the caps with ones I had salvaged from an old Philips TV (bought way back in 1998). Very old, but good brand ones (Nichicon, Rubicon, etc.) - still a bad idea, I know. Couldn't find all the values, and only replaced the ones I could find. The bad cap/caps must have been one of the ones I found, so I believe I lucked out.

The caps Edifier used were cheap small-brand ones. The device is probably part of their low/mid end range. Still shame on them for going so cheap on their caps.

Nice! Glad my nudge did the work.
I am curious, were there visible signs in the bad capacitor ? Or did you go for the bruteforce approach. Replace all caps you could find replacements of ?

There were no visible damage that I could see, even with the capacitors out.

It was a combination of bruteforce and mild logic. There was this constant hum that is often caused by either bad grounding or capacitors gone bad. The grounding was solid and the voltage from the rectifier appeared stable. Also, the hum remained when I isolated the control board (for buttons, headphone jack, etc.). So went for the replacement on the amplifier part of the circuit. Was certainly lucky that the bad one (or ones) were among the ones I replaced.

Posting this in the interest of fairness. The "repair" failed after just a couple of days. Tried replacing the same capacitors - no luck this time.

The core problem must be elsewhere - or I may have broken something with my clumsy soldering. Anyhow, don't think it's worth spending any more time on. Giving up.

Will look to upgrade (probably begin a new thread).

Do not want to start a new thread. Can somebody help with something to drive 2 of these speaker. Main unit is alive but bulky would like something with modern features.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-29-08-14-15-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-08-29-08-14-15-03.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot_2020-08-29-08-11-37-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-08-29-08-11-37-11.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20200829_080910.jpg
    IMG_20200829_080910.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 149
@lilboy when did you buy your C2s btw? I have 3 of these, one of the sets is back from mid 2000s. Got it repaired once, and the amp's buttons and knob are problematic, but the amp circuitry is still fine after 15 years of daily use.

@calvin1719 - Bought mine in 2013. Was quite satisfied with it, while it lasted - except for the front panel buttons that failed quite early on mine too.

I suspect your units may have been made several years before mine, back when things were made to last.

May yet try to get it repaired, once the virus situation gets better. For the moment though, don't have the time or skill to go any further with the repair, myself. Would be quite interested, if you ever decide to sell one of your central units. :)

Back