Surge Protection For Home

vikrant_027

Disciple
Hi All,

We are in the process of upgrading the electrical wiring & stuff at home.
Recently some appliances were damaged by a very high voltage surge.

Can anyone throw some light on surge protection systems for home use.
Tried googling & found the Type 1 & type 2 surge protection systems to be used in Distribution panel.

Pls suggest what systems should be good:

Load : Around 8.5Kw
Single Phase

I have been using a 8kVA V-Guard mainline stabilizer for the past 2 years with satisfactory results. However, for very sensitive equipment you may need to get an additional stabilizer for the equipment as the mainline stabilizer takes time (1-2 secs) to adjust incase of a spike/ surge. The stabilizer output never goes above 243V and below 210V with input hovering around 260-270V mark, which is the supply voltage in my area.

I have been using a 8kVA V-Guard mainline stabilizer for the past 2 years with satisfactory results. However, for very sensitive equipment you may need to get an additional stabilizer for the equipment as the mainline stabilizer takes time (1-2 secs) to adjust incase of a spike/ surge. The stabilizer output never goes above 243V and below 210V with input hovering around 260-270V mark, which is the supply voltage in my area.

Thanks Chiranjib for the stabilizer idea.. :) Even i was considering it .
But the issue is that last time the power surge was so severe that some flats beside ours had their stabilizers burnt. I guess this was a one off incident but still want to have some peace of mind.

Now I am thinking about getting those surge protection systems that look like Miniature Circuit Breakers MCB's & are directly installed in Distribution board with the MCB's.
I dont have any idea regarding what should I buy.

Pls suggest.

you should install

RCCB --> Residual Current Circuit Breaker:, we have the same in our home from havells. Further, ensure you have proper earthing in your home. by proper I mean digging a deep pit & buring copper into that. these two thing alone would save you from 99% of the accidents.

Hope this helps

dont know about RCCB but using a thick grounding cable wire going deep helps a lot. Also a thick underground cable from supply tower to your electric meter acts as a spike guard for your home and gives a lot of protection.

you should install

RCCB --> Residual Current Circuit Breaker:, we have the same in our home from havells. Further, ensure you have proper earthing in your home. by proper I mean digging a deep pit & buring copper into that. these two thing alone would save you from 99% of the accidents.

Hope this helps

Apart from earthing, the earthing wire should also run to all sockets at your home- which I rarely see these days. Many electricians just run two wires, neutral and phase.

Back