Swiggy restaurant charges 45 rs for packaging, but forgets to add it

Zaibatsu

Disciple
I ordered three 2.25L Coca Cola bottles from a restaurant listed in Swiggy. The restaurant charged me 100 Rs per 2.25L bottle(which is an extra 10 rs than MRP) which makes it 300 rs + packaging charges i.e 45 rs + delivery charges. I wouldn't have wrote this article at all as I understand that Swiggy runs it business from delivery charges only. But the part where it all went wrong was that the restaurant charged me 45 Rs for packaging, but they forgot or didn't provide any packaging at all along with my order. Why charge for packaging if you aren't even providing any packaging? Over that when I contacted Swiggy call centre, they said "We are sorry for the inconvenience but we cannot offer you any refunds. We will forward your feedback to the concerned department and take necessary action against the restaurant". And now 10 days later, I have still not heard from them. The more you give them the benefit of doubt or stop caring about small amounts, the more they feed on it. Thank You

Packaging cost depends on the restaurant. I've found it go as high as Rs.100 with one and with others remain around Rs.30 for similar orders

Packaging cost depends on the restaurant. I've found it go as high as Rs.100 with one and with others remain around Rs.30 for similar orders
But they have provided literally 0 packaging with the cold drinks. I was given the cold drinks in my hand one by one by the delivery person. And yet they are charging for packaging. I also need to dispose off the bottles everyday

Drinks are in bottles what more packaging is needed ? i'm referring to food

You said you ordered drinks from a restaurant. Restaurants can charge whatever they want for drinks. Swiggy hasn't charged for the packaging, the restaurant did it.

Drinks are in bottles what more packaging is needed ? i'm referring to food

You said you ordered drinks from a restaurant. Restaurants can charge whatever they want for drinks. Swiggy hasn't charged for the packaging, the restaurant did it.
Indeed, you are right, But there are 0 to no restaurants in my area, from which I can order pressurized drinks. Some have 650 ML bottles listed for 70 Rs. No wonder

Don't order drinks from restaurants. Get them from supermarkets or corner shops. MRP price then.

Is bigbasket or dunzo not available in your area.

right, 650ml for Rs.70 whereas i get 750ml of pepsi for Rs.40 from bigbasket

Don't order drinks from restaurants. Get them from supermarkets or corner shops. MRP price then.

Is bigbasket or dunzo not available in your area.

right, 650ml for Rs.70 whereas i get 750ml of pepsi for Rs.40 from bigbasket

Then I have to order in advance everyday. Incase of going to supermarket, I'm too lazy and I have social anxiety to move out of my house. The neighbors in my area are assholes, they start giving you looks when you keep ordering from home

Last edited:
Then I have to order in advance everyday. Incase of going to supermarket, I'm too lazy and I have social anxiety to move out of my house. The neighbors in my area are assholes, they start giving you looks when you keep ordering from home

Go like this, then. :bag:

IMO, may be 45rs is default packaging charge by the restaurant (on Swiggy/delivery orders) and irrespective of the food item, it gets added to the bill.
I don't see Swiggy at any fault here.

Packaging charge is a scam by Swiggy to charge you extra and make it look like delivery charges are low.

Example - Here in Pune when I visit the Burger King store myself and order takeaway food there is no packaging charges but when I order via Swiggy for the same store they tack on 20 to 30 bucks as packaging charges for the same packaging.[DOUBLEPOST=1534747656][/DOUBLEPOST]They also add a so-called "surge price" of 10 bucks during rains which is another scam. What surge is there during rains? Do people order more food during rains? :D It's not like traffic demand going up with service like Uber/Ola.

20 t o30 for packing charge is normal. When i order two burgers and see packing charge jump from 50 to 100 then i start to get curious. Worst bit is I know the owner of said restaurant.

Packaging charge is a scam by Swiggy to charge you extra and make it look like delivery charges are low.

Example - Here in Pune when I visit the Burger King store myself and order takeaway food there is no packaging charges but when I order via Swiggy for the same store they tack on 20 to 30 bucks as packaging charges for the same packaging.

The charge is definitely levied by restaurants and not by Swiggy. Its mostly fast food type of restaurants that do it, not all restaurants.

They also add a so-called "surge price" of 10 bucks during rains which is another scam. What surge is there during rains? Do people order more food during rains? :D It's not like traffic demand going up with service like Uber/Ola.

It is definitely the similar kind of situation. During rains, the availability of delivery guys goes down significantly and it takes more time to deliver each order due to traffic conditions.

If packing charge is definitely levied by the restaurant then why don't they charge me when I visit the place myself?

If packing charge is definitely levied by the restaurant then why don't they charge me when I visit the place myself?

That is something for these restaurants to answer. They are the ones defining these charges. I suspect it may be to cover any commissions that swiggy gets from them or maybe because the restaurants have their own delivery service and want users to take that route.

Also, here is something I found on quora regarding the topic.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Swiggy-decide-packaging-charges

I had a restuarent in Hyderabad which I ran for 1 year and we were associated with most of the food delivery companies like Swiggy, FoodPanda.. so I feel I am qualified to answer this question.

Packaging charges are NOT decided by swiggy but decided by the restaurent owners.

Packaging charges helps resturents increase their profits on the overall order value.

IMO, may be 45rs is default packaging charge by the restaurant (on Swiggy/delivery orders) and irrespective of the food item, it gets added to the bill.
I don't see Swiggy at any fault here.

Actually they add 15 Rs packaging charge only specifically for each bottle of 2L Coca Cola, Pepsi etc. So three 2.25L Coca Cola x 15 Rs = 45 Rs packaging charge. And they forget to add the packaging itself on top of that. Obviously Swiggy's system is at fault here, otherwise the restaurants won't be getting away with it

Last edited:
The only changes from swiggy to customer are the delivery charges and any surge charges due to distance, rush hour or Rain. Packing charges are all under the control of restaurant They can be added per item or for the total order. Swiggy delivery guys are not going to stand there and check whether each item you ordered is there or not and neither is swiggy going to police them.

It is no different from how its none of eBay's business to check on the packaging and shipping fees being charged by a seller on their platform. They are not going to take any action if you complain against a seller who is charging more than some other sellers. That is not their job.

Its the same thing here. Item price and packing charges are a matter between you and the restaurant.

The only changes from swiggy to customer are the delivery charges and any surge charges due to distance, rush hour or Rain. Packing charges are all under the control of restaurant They can be added per item or for the total order. Swiggy delivery guys are not going to stand there and check whether each item you ordered is there or not and neither is swiggy going to police them.

It is no different from how its none of eBay's business to check on the packaging and shipping fees being charged by a seller on their platform. They are not going to take any action if you complain against a seller who is charging more than some other sellers. That is not their job.

Its the same thing here. Item price and packing charges are a matter between you and the restaurant.

Obviously I know that. The other day I placed an order from a CCD outlet listed in Swiggy. Half of the pastry was missing. I filed a complaint on Swiggy customer care chat, but they said "We will forward your feedback to the feedback team", same old response. It's almost like we are taking a risk while ordering through Swiggy. Another day I ordered a platter from Barbeque Nation and the whole food was cold on arrival and late also. And many such things happen everyday when I order through Swiggy, not to mention the odd behavior of the delivery executives

For missing/wrong items, I had no issues getting support from Swiggy when I complain in a short while after the delivery guy leaves. They either have the missing item delivered free or refund the amount for the item. However its been a while since either of things happened to me. So, not sure how they are handling it these days.

Also, its better to call them up than using the chat.

Back