System Restore error in Win 7

P.Ping Tom

Disciple
Hi guys,

Over the last 3-4 days I've been having some weird issues with my PC. About 4 days ago when I turned it back on in the morning, The welcome/login screen had two accounts on it - my account, and an 'administrator' account (even tho technically I am the admin since I am the only user, I never activated/had a separate administrator account). Clearly there was some change in the system, that wasn't done by me, and I don't know how it got there. When I tried doing a system restore to see if this could be undone, it returned the following message (please see attached link) -

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've since manually removed the administrator account from my login screen, but my system restore still throws up the same error msg. I have tried disabling my anti-virus (Avira), uninstalling it, creating my own restore points and then trying to go back to that, undo restore, choose an earlier restore point, etc - but over the last four days, no matter what restore option I choose, I keep getting this error message.

Can anyone tell me why my system restore is no longer working, and what I can do to correct it? Is it possible that some sort of malaware/rootkit/script is running in the background that has caused some sort of system change that I'm unaware of? I've done a full system scan but haven't been able to detect anything. Will I have to re-install my OS if this continues to happen? Please help - my PC is only 2 months old and this really shouldn't be happening. Thanks.

Try restarting system restore. Some faulty restore point might be the culprit here.
BTW in xp there's always an administrator/owner account which is there by default. Don't think it was wise 'deleting' it.

Didn't delete the admin account - just removed it from the welcome/login screen. The restore points were working earlier, don't know why they aren't now. Comp is working fine otherwise, but sys restore is still an issue. looks like i'll have to to a backup and complete reinstall :-(

Back