Tablet for productivity

Checksum

Skilled
I'm looking for a tablet mainly for productivity. Before anyone recommends the iPad, here is what I'll be doing on it:

1) Lots of note taking (along with some scribbling) - For this reason alone the HTC Flyer seems great, but I feel its overpriced for what it offers. And no HoneyComb

2) Need the ability to download, open ZIP files and edit docs and pdfs (Can the iPad do this?)

3) USB/WiFi tethering is a bonus (I know that the iPad cannot do this!)

4) FTP client, Remote access software, SSH

5) 3G connectivity

6) Occasional gaming/entertainment

Basically it should save me the pain of carrying around my laptop when its not needed. Now I've gone through most of the reviews online, and still seem to be getting nowhere. The HTC flyer seems very nice and targeted at what I want, but with outdated hardware, software and at a price at which I can get a better tablet. On the matter of 10 inch Android tablets, I seem to like the Xoom better than the Galaxy Tab 10.1 mostly because of the default honeycomb experience( which also means faster updates ). Any screen size >= 7 inch will do fine. Don't mind getting lesser known brands if its really good either.

If anyone can convince me that the iPad can do most of it well, I'd love to hear about the apps that can do it. Also, anyone with similar requirements looking to buy a tablet, please do let me know what you've come up with!

Thanks!

^^

All that my cheap viewsonic gtablet does. So basically a HC tablet with correct apps will help you out.

Perhaps, the notion ink for sale in market section. Don't spend bomb on current crop of tablets. Kal el is right round the corner with ICS. Till then my gtablet is enuff for me. :D

My iPhone can all the things you mentioned, hence I guess iPad also. But it needs to be JB'ed.

1. Any tab can offer this.

2. Yes. Safari Download Manager & Doc on the go.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

6. Bah ! Gaming in iOS FTW

Checksum said:
I'm looking for a tablet mainly for productivity. Before anyone recommends the iPad, here is what I'll be doing on it:

1) Lots of note taking (along with some scribbling) - For this reason alone the HTC Flyer seems great, but I feel its overpriced for what it offers. And no HoneyComb

2) Need the ability to download, open ZIP files and edit docs and pdfs (Can the iPad do this?)

5) 3G connectivity

Basically it should save me the pain of carrying around my laptop when its not needed. Now I've gone through most of the reviews online, and still seem to be getting nowhere. The HTC flyer seems very nice and targeted at what I want, but with outdated hardware, software and at a price at which I can get a better tablet. On the matter of 10 inch Android tablets, I seem to like the Xoom better than the Galaxy Tab 10.1 mostly because of the default honeycomb experience( which also means faster updates ). Any screen size >= 7 inch will do fine. Don't mind getting lesser known brands if its really good either.

If anyone can convince me that the iPad can do most of it well, I'd love to hear about the apps that can do it. Also, anyone with similar requirements looking to buy a tablet, please do let me know what you've come up with!

Thanks!

What about the new Lenovo Tablet? It seems to do everything you asked for. It has a digitiser, so has pen/stylus support as well, which is great for note taking. The Engadget review says it is a bit sluggish but they say that for all non Apple products. Maybe you could look for other reviews as well or try it in a store if available.

^^ there is a reason they say it is sluggish,because it just is.

@ op all of the requirements mentioned by you are done by me on a daily basis.you just need to jb the iPad.the iPad 2 ofcourse will give you better performance.

As of now stay clear from anything but the iPad as For tablets are concerned.

vantheman5211 said:
^^ there is a reason they say it is sluggish,because it just is.

@ op all of the requirements mentioned by you are done by me on a daily basis.you just need to jb the iPad.the iPad 2 ofcourse will give you better performance.

As of now stay clear from anything but the iPad as For tablets are concerned.

Have you used it?

I don't trust Engadget's sluggish claims because they set a really high bar and it is usually not as big an issue as they state. I've seen cases where they have claimed some devices to be very sluggish but I have found them to be very usable.

That is why I suggested to the OP that he try to find a place to demo or look at other reviews.

Checksum said:

5) 3G connectivity

Thanks!

Avi has answered most of it. But yet again

1. Definitely possible. I regularly use EverNote without an issue. Typing is a lil painful without some nice keyboards like the split ones or swype likes but its doable.

2. Positive about most except "Editing PDF" I am sorry don't know of any tablet that does this.

3. SSH is a little too much to ask IMO but rest all is possible with plenty of apps that do these. SSH possible with JB.

4. Get your facts right please. A happy BSNL3g on iPad2 user here. Wifi tethering OOTB.

5. Read 4.

6. Heard of Rage from id?

whatsinaname said:
Have you used it?

I don't trust Engadget's sluggish claims because they set a really high bar and it is usually not as big an issue as they state. I've seen cases where they have claimed some devices to be very sluggish but I have found them to be very usable.

That is why I suggested to the OP that he try to find a place to demo or look at other reviews.
Yes I have used it(i assume you mean the android tabs).they are a bit sluggish,the most impressive I felt was the transformer which I was pleasantly surprised.

Engadget can only comment on relative products and since tablet Market is apple driven as of now everything from oranges to bananas will be compared to it.

The ipad 2 is currently the best tablet out there without jailbreak.with jailbreak it gets in it's own universe.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

@m-jerin, I don't want a cheap tablet now cause I will be using this for a couple of years at least. And don't think I can wait till Kal-el unfortunately!

@avi didn't know the iPad 2 could tether! And just to be clear, I was talking about using it as a mobile hotspot, ie connect my laptop to it and being able to access the Internet from the laptop. Android has mobile hotspot and if the iPad can do it then it's great!

@whatsinaname saw the review of the new lenovo tablet yesterday. Seems really nice and targeted at productivity and business users. I will definitely check it out if it's available in a couple of weeks.

@sarang again my bad regarding tethering. I have used a friend's iPad 2 and it doesn't seem to have the option. It's running iOS 4.3.4. Is this available only after a certain version or is it enabled only by certain carriers? Also, till what version of iOS is the iPad 2 jailbreakable? And will iOS 5 offer anything substantial?

i also have the same requirements as yours. I dont think there are any softwares on tablet that could allow you to edit pdf (at least basic functions like highlighting) . I will wait for the windows8 tablet vs.

dhruvrock2000 said:
Just to let you know , the HTC Flyer just got a pretty decent price drop.

Yup, just saw that bestbuy will be selling it for $300 from today. But I'm in Singapore, so if the price drops here as well to around 400 SGD, I will definitely consider it.

And yea, I don't want PDF editing. Don't know what I was thinking when I typed it out! Also, can someone confirm my questions about the iPad2 - Whether it can be used as a hotspot and till which version of iOS is jailbreakable now?

iPad 2 can be used as hotspot. For some carriers it shows option & for some it doesn't. But once you JB, you can do pretty much everything.

and for iPad 2 only 4.3.3 JB is out afaik.

avi said:
iPad 2 can be used as hotspot. For some carriers it shows option & for some it doesn't. But once you JB, you can do pretty much everything.

Yup. I've used it on BSNL as well as Vodafone without issues.

Lenovo idea pad is non-3g(at Lenovo website 3g is available as customized add-on and there is no ready 3g variant available).

Get ipad if you want various kinds of apps and this is the strong point of apple.

HC tablets are sluggish. This is BS

Only problem with HC tablets is lack of applications optimized for big screen AND very few tablets have unlocked 3g(also too costly).

also as skype does not support HC sot muct use of dual cam.

For 3g you may use device like Huawei e585(it supports 5 devices and gives backup of 4-5 hours and works even when in charging mode).

also you may consider something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgscMc7PrOA&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLBB845770D86D714B

HTC flyer has no memory card slot and no HC.

as ipad has some version that are unlocked 3g so that will be your best choice IMO.

Just my 2cents.

Recently used a Transformer and man, it's awesome! A fully functional tablet and a fully functional laptop... almost. It's a pity that the 3G model is not available in India. It is snappy, works well with the keyboard dock and also without it. It is definitely the real competition to iPad for people who are looking for more productivity. The keyboard is damn comfortable too. Do give it a try if you haven't already. :)

rohit3192 said:
Lenovo idea pad is non-3g(at Lenovo website 3g is available as customized add-on and there is no ready 3g variant available).

Get ipad if you want various kinds of apps and this is the strong point of apple.

HC tablets are sluggish. This is BS

Only problem with HC tablets is lack of applications optimized for big screen AND very few tablets have unlocked 3g(also too costly).

also as skype does not support HC sot muct use of dual cam.

For 3g you may use device like Huawei e585(it supports 5 devices and gives backup of 4-5 hours and works even when in charging mode).

also you may consider something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgscMc7PrOA&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLBB845770D86D714B

HTC flyer has no memory card slot and no HC.

as ipad has some version that are unlocked 3g so that will be your best choice IMO.

Just my 2cents.
Skype released yesterday has HC support

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

I guess all Android tablets are slow at the moment. Hopefully ics will solve this problem.

For productivity why not try the thinkpad tablet. Should be available in India soon.

Used one for a few days:

Liked:

* the build quality

* usb port- i could just attach an external drive for music movies etc

* decent battery life

* handwriting recognition is accurate. Not too useful for me

* wifi connection strength. The tablet found signals where my galaxy s wouldnt

* didnt use the vpn & other work related apps (damn you fruit ninja) but that's supposed to be the thinkpad tablets usp

Dislikes:

* heavy. I still dont see the use of a tablet over a topend phone

* gets a bit slow when you have too many apps/windows open

* longish boot times from a cold start

avi said:

Problem is the devices from SingTel/Starhub do not have tethering by default. And they come with firmware 2.3.4. So no jailbreaking for now :(

@Sei, didn't like the transformer. I somehow felt the Xoom was better. And I don't have to wait for ASUS to push out updates.

I will be checking out a couple of tablets this weekend. Hopefully I can find a Thinkpad tablet to play with.

Back