Taking the biggest risk of my life.

red dragon

Former dragon chaser
Veteran
Jan 30, 2010
The covid 19 situation as a whole and some incidents in Spain left some deep scars inside.
Initially we thought of leaving WHO and take normal teaching jobs in medical schools.
But I'm still having nightmares of Spain almost on a daily basis (it is getting worse despite therapy sessions)
After long discussions with my wife and her family we both have decided to leave medicine forever.
We have saved up some money for the kid's education and after some calculations, we should have just enough to buy a small boat in Estonia and can use it as a ferry service from Tallinn to Helsinki once this virus thing settles down.
If things work out, we will sell our houses in Prague and Kosice and will be able to buy a small house in Tallinn or Helsinki ( and down the line in both)
The kid will stay with his grandparents till middle school.
Once in Tallinn we both can earn some money as session musicians ( as my wife has some connections there)
It is not going to be a very secure situation financially but we both have become very unhappy inside being doctors and have decided to be rather poor but happy and stress free.
Please pray for us.

Julian

om nom nom
Veteran
Jul 31, 2008
Navi Mumbai
Whoa! this is a huge change. Especially for someone so deep into it. It might be easier for someone new.

Some scars never heal. You can never forget the pain, because it doesn't go away. But some situations keep putting pressure on those scars. So getting out helps relieve the pain and makes it slightly more livable. Also time helps a bit.

You are one of those exceptional people who's sacrificed and risked almost everything to help others. Getting paid for it is no big consolation. I hope you find the peace and happiness you need.

mk76

Adept
Dec 4, 2008
The covid 19 situation as a whole and some incidents in Spain left some deep scars inside.
Initially we thought of leaving WHO and take normal teaching jobs in medical schools.
But I'm still having nightmares of Spain almost on a daily basis (it is getting worse despite therapy sessions)
After long discussions with my wife and her family we both have decided to leave medicine forever.
We have saved up some money for the kid's education and after some calculations, we should have just enough to buy a small boat in Estonia and can use it as a ferry service from Tallinn to Helsinki once this virus thing settles down.
If things work out, we will sell our houses in Prague and Kosice and will be able to buy a small house in Tallinn or Helsinki ( and down the line in both)
Once in Tallinn we both can earn some money as session musicians ( as my wife has some connections there)
It is not going to be a very secure situation financially but we both have become very unhappy inside being doctors and have decided to be rather poor but happy and stress free.
Please pray for us.
Don't know why, but I'm feeling sad for what you have faced and how you feel now. Selling your house, moving your kid away, going for altogether a new profession ... suddenly leaving behind all those years of study and hard work.
But do know that at the same time this is very inspiring. It takes immense courage to take such bold decisions. And that only those who try, succeed.

I wish you success. May this transition period get over quickly and you and your family find the peace and happiness you deserve.

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
Wish you all the best. I'm not good with words like others here.

If I'm not mistaken, you're planning to start your own ferry service? From doctors to a boat captain. Isn't that equally strenuous on the mind?

Reactions: red dragon

red dragon

Former dragon chaser
Veteran
Jan 30, 2010
^^ Yes, it won't be easy. But I have some experience with boat engines and stuff. We both love outdoor activities. Possibly we have to hire some people initially.
That particular route from Tallinn to Helsinki is not a very crowded one, hope we will learn slowly about the business aspects.
It was not an easy decision, deep inside, neither of us wanted to be doctors but never had the time and courage to discuss about it.
We spoke to some people who changed their professions completely, their experiences gave us some courage too.
Let's see, leaving the kid behind is the most difficult part and we're not very sure about it ( though his grandparents are great)
I made some fatal mistakes in Spain (exhaustion, arrogance, ego, worries about family back home) but these are just excuses, can't forgive myself for those mistakes. Possibly I'm not fit enough anymore for the work I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6pack

nRiTeCh

If you can see the green dot, I'm online ;-)
Veteran
OMG! This is insane. You have crossed your careers medieval level and suddenly this decision.
But can understand what you might gone through.
The new career looks adventurous to me at least coupled with some social work.

I have heard people selling off their homes for settling in boats but no idea about how sturdy, rigid and stable is a boat option. Of course it will have its share of maintenance etc. But what about bad weathers and storms?
Hope you have taken these factors into account before deciding.

As for music, its in European culture so it might make valuable contributions towards your journey.
Last word, don't panic or take uncertain decisions during covid as the virus has mentally attacked our stability psychologically, so keep planning but only nail it down 6 months down.
Till then continue existing jobs.

Wish you success in every endeavor ahead... Do keep us looped, I'm eager to hear a lot in coming months..

red dragon

Former dragon chaser
Veteran
Jan 30, 2010
It's not sudden. I was thinking about quitting since the last visit to India.
Certain things have changed permanently inside me.
Plus the experience of Spain taught me, how valuable life is and how pointless it is to work only for money, when the belief and passion in what we do is gone.
I was also worried about my wife's well-being ( this pandemic affected her too pretty badly, first the incidence in India, then the infection, depression, alcohol issues) she also wants out.
We gave it a lot of thought.
Just yesterday night, we took the final call on the boat.

nikhilavasthi

Disciple
Jul 1, 2013
Jogeshwari, Mumbai, Maharashtra
Please pray for us.
Best Wishes to the fellow forum member who educated many of us (including me) on Corona stuff.

Reactions: mk76 and nimod

Tejas01

Adept
Nov 15, 2009
Wish you all the best for your future endeavours. Although I would have wanted you to continue in medical profession, but as you mentioned there have been scars which have left you impacted.
Is it possible, like taking a break from medical profession, pursue some other jobs to let your mind off those unpleasant incidents, get some time off and then come back. If both feel like continuing then great else do what both of you feel the best.

Again. Thanks for giving us some medical knowledge especially during this pandemic. Regards to Lenka too. Stay strong and stay safe...
Godspeed.

red dragon

Former dragon chaser
Veteran
Jan 30, 2010
Please don't think all of a sudden I've become enlightened or something and money has become insignificant etc.etc.
We simply decided that we are no more capable of handling the pressure of our profession and trying to switch to something that we both wanted to do for a long long time (playing music to earn a living, the boat is just a dream, never thought we could afford one)
Just after getting married we visited Estonia with our infant and the ride to Helsinki was beautiful.
The ferry we took belonged to a fantastic middle aged couple originally from Greece.
We thought may be after retirement we can do something like this.
Now the retirement came too soon!!

Rubik

Disciple
Jun 27, 2020
Thanks for your on the ground insights on corona, invaluable in our post-truth world. Through a crisis like this you get to finally earn a living with what you love the most , "ikigai", in my opinion is blessing in disguise. It surely won't be easy but with what little we have seen virtually, with tenacity and love, you will do just fine :) All the best!

mach9

Das Layzeemeister
Adept
Dec 17, 2007
Anywhere between 0 - 47000 feet
It's truly a big decision and requires lots of courage. I admire your ability and strength to do this.. Especially as a lot of us are in similar situations with our professions and the impact of covid on our careers. Good luck and I sincerely hope it does work out perfectly for you. Just don't completely slip on your kid

red dragon

Former dragon chaser
Veteran
Jan 30, 2010
Thanks a lot everyone for your support and encouragement.
I come from a middle class Bengali family, growing up, had nothing. Bought my first computer ( an assembled cheapest possible machine) with savings from stipend of internship, my father couldn't afford new books during MBBS ( most of the books I had were handed down from seniors in hostel)
Always been a movie buff, so started teaching biology to students appearing for medical entrance examinations and used most of the money on movie tickets ( anyone from Kolkata remembers New Empire/ Globe/ Lighthouse?)
Getting a job in a corporate hospital after MD was the ultimate success in life ( 2004 with a salary of 50k) It felt like I am the happiest person in the world.
But it didn't last long, got sick of corporate culture and went back to academics. Joining WHO and getting transferred to HQ @ Geneva seemed another major success.
But with success came arrogance, a progressive balloon of ego.
Corona came and it taught me some very important lessons in life. On papers our work @ Spain is a success, but in reality it was a big failure. Every life lost under my care was a failure.
If I was little less arrogant, a little more flexible, we could have saved at least 17 more lives.
Those 17 families lost someone near and dear due to my arrogance.
This is possibly the only regret in life that will never go away.
Moreover I also lost someone very close to this virus, and I didn't even try hard enough to see her once in the hospital ( I could if I tried, exhaustion can never be an excuse)
These things bothering me a lot these days, insomnia, bad dreams etc.etc.
Now enough of ranting...thanks again everyone.

red dragon

Former dragon chaser
Veteran
Jan 30, 2010
Cried a little inside watching the video. Lord knows, how much I miss Kolkata, those buses, yellow taxis, Maruti cars...wish I could go back there, just for few days...

Reactions: dissel