TastyKhana and FoodPanda - all gone down the drain?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Just a quick rant about lack of choices in restaurants delivery options ever since apparently TastyKhana getting acquired by FoodPanda, really annoying since I used to regularly order food delivery online from some nice places.

In the good old days TastyKhana/Dial-a-meal would deliver from pretty much any restaurant located anywhere in Pune.

Then they started scaling down the delivery radius I guess which was still not bad as there were still some good options left.

Nowadays (since the last month or two) they just list restaurants which are anyway near your area and you can anyway just call them directly to get your deliveries - why bother with these online places now?

I tried their online chat to complain - the person was clueless/helpless. I tried sending email to their customer care - got a reply on the lines of "we have forwarded your concern to the concerned department - we are expanding in many cities to bring you the BEST food delivery service - thank you and good day".

I wonder will they ever be able to improve back to their earlier levels of service?

AAAARRRGGHH !!!

That is the general problem with the whole "free" app thingy. Most next-gen e-commerce startups (for consumers) have this problem, provide something innovative + free, once the userbase increases, they get funding, but now they have to answer to their new masters, so to remain viable, they cut their service level, and just hobble along until everything is consolidated into a monoply. We can thank google (or Microsoft as they introduced the real "Free" first app - IE) for the whole "Gib all stuff for free" model that the web seems to operate these days.

I would rather have paid services - like amazon prime (IDK if it works in india or not) that assures a level of service for a reasonable fee.

Yup, foodpanda just killed the whole Tastykhana experience/ease of use for me. Their website is also a god damned mess, the menu lists have no visual order, just a mass of text. Now I just end up calling the restaurants directly (Malaka Spice and Marrakesh mostly) Is a hassle ordering from Arthurs Theme, though.

Is dial-a-meal still around? I still probably have that fat book they used to send their users with a bunch of menus printed inside it :D

Justeat.in is there but it has less number of restaurants listed compared to foodpanda ... But you get 50% off (Max 100 bucks, Earlier it was 200) if you order from the app.

Yep, I use dial-a-meal mostly for Coconut Grove and Royal China, see http://dialameal.in/

@Powersurge do you get delivery from Malaka Spice, the one in Koregaon Park area, and where do they deliver for you?[DOUBLEPOST=1431518647][/DOUBLEPOST]JustEat seems to be a waste like FoodPanda, they just list places nearby.

Last edited:
While I am not sure about the nearby options but from what I have seen JustEat seems better than FoodPanda. They have an automated system or such whereas Foodpanda seems to order via call. This has many a times caused delayed deliveries.

Used Foodpanda while I was in Pune for a visit just for the 30% off coupon. I hate using them locally in Chandigarh because of the long delivery times (mostly over 1hr).

I noticed one thing today. Foodpanda is showing supremely bloated prices on restaurant items. Their so-called "discount" of 50% (limited to 150) can still be trumped by Justeat 30% (limited to 100) , which btw is again using bloated prices.

I agree. Used to use Tastykhana quite a bit when in Thane. But just around the food-panda takeover, the service dropped.
Lets hope uber and ola don't go down the similar app-drain.

Back