Tata Indicom Plug2Surf. Is it any better than GPRS on cell phone's?

Sourav

Adept
My GF has her exams coming up. So she has loaned me her lappy (yep, I'm a poor person and i don't have a computer at my place :ashamed:) for a few weeks, maybe a couple of months even, because if she has it with her, all she does is watch F.R.I.E.N.D.S on it :bleh: .

Anyways, so I'm kinda getting tired of watching movies and F.R.I.E.N.D.S, and Smallville, and Desperate Housewives and all such stuff over and over again. So I was thinking of getting a temp net connection. I activated the Mobile office thingy on my airtel postpaid, but the speed is pathetic. I hardly get some 3-4 kBps and its never constant. Browsing is quite irritating and downloading anything is a big PITA.

So i was thinking about getting those USB Plug2Surf thingys from TataIndicom. Yes i know they also work using GPRS. But is the speed any better? Has anyone tried them here? It doesn't make sense getting a permanent connection as the lappy will be taken back after her exams finish :cry:. So, suggestions please people.

FYI - TataIndicom Personal - Internet Plug2Surf Tariff

The Tata Indicom Plug2Surf thing uses CDMA 1x, not GPRS. Theoretically its capable of upto 144Kbps, so you should get decent speeds .. however its still down to the service provider and other minor factors like signal strength.

FWIW, when i was on Reliance some years back (that too used the same CDMA 1x tech) i used to get decent speeds of say 12~14 KB/sec. Not sure though how Tata or Reliance are now :huh:

Avoid the Plug2surf like the plague.....3-4kb was all i ever got in the 3 months that i had their service. Finally cancelled the connection and returned the modem

Their other PCMCIA modem seems to be a better option with speeds upto 15kb/s
This is in Mumbai
Vivek

Iam using Plug2Surf USB modem.Speed is satisfactory.I constantly get 12KBps(~96kbps) though many times it even exceeds 15KBps,it neverevr went below 9KBps.And the ping times are also not very bad.

PS:I have used this in both Bangalore and Hyderabad.So you should be getting almost the same above speeds even in Chennai:)

Has anyone used it in Dehradun? I'm also planning to get it for my sister who's posted in Dehradun. If there is any TE guy frm dehradun who is using Plug2Surf, please comment on the service over there, Thnx

hmmph... TataIndicom doesn't provide broadband connections at my area :mad: What rubbish :mad: and the Plug2Surf thingy is quite stoopid. It's pretty expensive and no speed at all. Bah, i will get a proper 256 kbps 24/7 airtel connection. will be much better, and the initial setup costs are waaay less.

You can use the reliance PCMCIA wireless card. The service is good for general browsing with typical download speed of 10-12kb/sec. You will notice the lag during browsing as its wireless but the service is really good compared to other providers like airtel and tata.

Its better to avoid airtel as the speeds during daytime are really low( arnd 5kb/sec) although at late night it seems to be very fast.

EDIT: There is 400/month night unlimited plan in which from 10-6 alone the net is free. During the daytime is chargeable though :(

well, i ain't moving anywhere for quite some time now. So I'm going for the wired connection anyways. and most days i will be in office from morning to evening. Its just that i need a good connection during the evening/night. And anything downloaded by torrents during the daytime will be great as well :D as anything greater than 0 is always positive :)

errr anyone can tell me the settings for tata indicom to work in windows XP??

somehow it aint working in my comp, but works perfectly fine in my Mom's office comp! :(.. she's getting speeds of around 15kbps there!

any idea whats wrong with my comp ? :S

Back